Rocking horse ride

/ Rocking horse ride #1  

RoyKing

Platinum Member
Tractor
M7060HSC/18, RTV-X1100C
Saw a video of the rocking action front to rear, is that caused by too much water in the rears, a wave cresting over in the tires. Or air pressure in tires? I've got radial tires soft side walls.

/ Rocking horse ride #2  
Its from lack of a resilient suspension combined with the undamped rebounding properties of tires allowing both ends of a vehicle to bounce but not in sync. Heavy implements, FEL, backhoe, etc can increase the rocking.

One doesn't need a drop of liquid in any tire, just traveling a wee bit too fast for surface flatness will get the oscillation going. A complaint on some puncture-proof tires is how exaggerated, even violent the result of stiffer shoes makes.

I can't imagine NOT adding ballast to rear tires out of fear that the tendency to rock would be any greater. :2cents:

/ Rocking horse ride #3  
Most all heavy equipment does that regardless of loaded tires or not. Payloaders or yellow backhoes almost gallop down paved roads. Big tires arent balanced well or super round. But the biggest cause is a lack of suspension & heavy overhangs.

Some fancier loaders (on TBLs, payloaders or tractors) have a dampening system on the loader to help. Its essentially a pressure tank on the loader lift circuit & a valve to open up that tank. When the valve is open the air in the tank can compress & expand to absorb the bounce imparted by the loader.

/ Rocking horse ride #4  
My little BX2200 has rocking horsed before on uneven grounds when going fast.

Back on the old farm, I got the old JD rockin' around on pavement. I wouldn't do it now, but if I slammed on the brakes I could start making it rock while going down the road. Fun times... lol

/ Rocking horse ride #5  
My opinion is that if you're experiencing a "rocking horse" like affect, you are going too fast for field or road conditions. Now if you were creating it for the fun of it.........oh well, but it's very hard on machinery.

Like mentioned, commercial industrial machines have load dampeners. Time is money and faster traveling speeds are essential.
'

/ Rocking horse ride #6  
My opinion is that if you're experiencing a "rocking horse" like affect, you are going too fast for field or road conditions. Now if you were creating it for the fun of it.........oh well, but it's very hard on machinery.

Like mentioned, commercial industrial machines have load dampeners. Time is money and faster traveling speeds are essential.
'

Actually it's not "too fast". It can be stopped by speeding up.

It's a simple frequency issue and easily corrected.

Can't imagine anyone having fun with it. :)

/ Rocking horse ride #7  
Oh trust me, when I was younger, I had fun with the rocking horse effect. There were times I sat in the tractor for 12+ hours -- you start to look for fun or thinking "when will I ever get done going around in circles?" lol -- one or the other.

Though, now as I am older and wiser, I know not to take unnecessary risks. :)

/ Rocking horse ride #8  

Attachments

• DSC00080.JPG
    DSC00080.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 65
  • DSC00079.JPG
    DSC00079.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 69
   / Rocking horse ride
I'll try more speed, it does with no load in the front, and I'll putting some more weight on rear 3pt

/ Rocking horse ride #10  
Changing weight distribution will change the frequency (speed) of the bounce. But it won't eliminate it. Hopefully it can be changed to a speed you don't use.

Diesel85's comments above about field work are an example of the frequency matching work speed. With towed tillage equipment this can be avoided by simple hitch adjustments. Speed change is not an option in most cases.

I deal with this regularly when running the road grader on maintaining gravel roads. Slight changes are required as road material type changes.