Rodents & Vehicles

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Most of you know I live out in the country and I certainly seem to have my share of rodents. Pocket gophers, chipmunks, mice and THIS year a new participant - pack rats. Where as the mice will occasionally build small nests in the engine compartment - pack rats will build a palace. Chipmunks - they like to store seeds in unique places in the engine compartment. Fortunately, none of these critters have done any chewing anywhere and none have ever entered the passenger compartments.

I think I have tried just about everything to keep them out of the engine compartment - most are a dismal failure. Moth balls, dryer sheets, various repellents, etc, etc.

Most recently I have done something that does work, and works 100% of the time. Its going on ten days now and no rodents in any of my three vehicles - tractor, Jeep, pickup.

I open the hood on the vehicle and leave it open. It appears the mice and rats like the engine compartment because its a closed environment.

Easy to do - costs nothing - all you have to do is close the hood when you want to use the vehicle.

Give it a try. Let us know how it works for you.

MacLawn

Veteran Member
Red Clay Country, GA & Mississippi Prarie
Tractor
JD 2210
Wow, that's a good, simple method! Just open hood! I just wonder if that might make raccoons or something else want to set up housekeeping there! My trucks sit for a couple of months sometimes.

JPRambo

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota B7100
I have a '92 Jeep pickup I rarely use (not legal). I had rats making homes in the engine compartment. When I did raised the hood they would be gone before I could see them go. So I started to block open with a 2 x 4. I thought it would Make it easier to scare the rats out and hit with .22 varmint rounds. But, they never came back. I removed the nest and not had another since.

ericm979

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson 3725H
We have a rat problem this year here in central coast CA too. Not in the vehicles but in the garden and chicken coop. At first I thought it was because I'd cleared a bunch of brush around the house and tore down a number of rat's nests (they like to set them up in poison oak). But many other people in the area report rat problems so it's not just us.

I drive all the vehicles once a week. That seems to discourage rodents. Especially if you drive them somewhere and park them for a while, like at work.

oldnslo

Tractor
Branson 2400H, JD X540
Mice will still build nests in area not totally exposed like under the intake manifold, in the fuse box, in the air cleaner, etc.. I know because the have done this on Tundra which sits a lot. 08 with only 23,000 actual miles.

Also have the same problems with my tractors so hood up, shrouds off when ever possible. Dogs & coyotes got rid of all the cats so mice are going strong around here.

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
This is the first year in 36+ years out here that I've had rat problems. I am sure they have always been out here - they just never came in out of the woods and camped in my vehicles. Those who sip their tea, promptly at 3:00 pm, call them wood rats - its a PC thing. Sounds nicer - but they are pack rats. Harder than h e l l to catch in a trap. I've killed four in the last 30 days and have not seen any more signs of them. No idea why the rats this year. Do nothing different than in the preceding 35 years.

I trapped one and shot the other three with my 22 pistol. They are either dumb as a stump or absolutely fearless. Out around 11pm so the dog can do his business and there on the porch sits a rat. I shine my big 'ol Mikita flashlight on him and he just blinks. So I stomp back in the house get the pistol - back out on the porch and 'el ratto is still sitting there in the same place. Walk up within about eight feet of him and blow his sickening guts all over my porch. Its too late to bother with a "gutts detail" at that time of night. Besides he will be there patiently waiting for me in the morning.

Rambo - many, many years ago I had coons - lots of them. I also burned my garbage and had a dozen fruit trees. My nearest neighbor about 4.5 miles away burned his garbage also. About ten years ago I quit burning garbage - all my fruit trees quit producing and died - the neighbor passed away. I have seen neither hide nor hair of a coon since that time.

When those buggers were around - I always would share about half my fruit crop with those little bandits. Out late at night with the big 'ol flashlight - eyeballs in the tree tops. The wife thought they were so cute - wouldn't let me shoot them.

Quite honestly - I don't think hood open or hood closed - - if a coon wants to be in your engine compartment - he'll be there. The only motivation I've ever seen for coons is food.

Owls and coyotes got all my cats. Pocket gophers have turned my east lawn into a WW3 war zone. I just got to get more cats.

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Somewhat embarrassing - I've driven my Jeep into Spokane and when parked at a parking lot - a little field mouse will jump out and head for cover. Had it happen a couple times. Its called - spreading the joy.

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
On two different company trucks I've been driving down the road at 55 MPH and had mice come out from where the WS wipers come up through in front of the windshield.

Edit: 45 minutes after posting this I went out to put two roasting chickens on the grill which I had preheated then shut off. As I turned the heat back on a mouse ran out of the burner chamber. Roast mouse is NOT what I had planned for supper.

Last edited:

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Jstpssng - I had the exact same thing happen on my Jeep as I'm boring down I-90 into Spokane. A little field mouse pops out of the windshield heater vent opening. We were both surprised. He waited to exit the vehicle until I parked at Walmart. Ugg - roast mouse. Shades of the practices of certain groups in India. Only there its rats.

Will_C

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560, Toro 52" and 60" ZTRs, Kubota RTV 900
Had trouble for the first time ever with mice this year. Packed the blower motor housing on my Tundra so tightly with insulation that it vibrated so bad I though my truck was going to shake itself apart. Did the same on the car, but no insulation, just a nut. Had to replace cabin filters on both.
Trapped 7 and haven't had one in a trap for over a week. Maybe I have exterminated them!

Will

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Jstpssng - I had the exact same thing happen on my Jeep as I'm boring down I-90 into Spokane. A little field mouse pops out of the windshield heater vent opening. We were both surprised. He waited to exit the vehicle until I parked at Walmart. Ugg - roast mouse. Shades of the practices of certain groups in India. Only there its rats.
Have you ever watched Farley Mowatt's "Never Cry Wolf"? It's a rather comical piece of fiction, unfortunately purported as research.

GirlWhoWantsTractor

Platinum Member
Tractor
2018 Mahindra 26XL HST, Husqv GT48XLsi & YTH48LS
Out around 11pm so the dog can do his business and there on the porch sits a rat. I shine my big 'ol Mikita flashlight on him and he just blinks.

Once this happens, you have a big problem, much bigger than you may think. :) Why don't the coyotes take the rats too? Too many?

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
The coyotes DO take the mice, chipmunks, rats, etc, etc - as far as the rats - that may be one of the reasons I'm seeing rats this year. There has been a dramatic increase in the coyote population. The coyotes will come in close but not where the yard light shines. The rats are coming in close to get away from the coyotes.

Whatever - four rats in 36+ years isn't that bad. And I just continue to set, check, empty and rebait the traps. Been that way for 36 years - isn't about to change. For every mouse, rat, chipmunk I trap there are probably several out there in the buck brush just waiting their turn. Just a part of country living.

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Yes - chipmunks also. I trap the little bastards because they also get into the engine compartment and pack many little nooks and crannies with seeds. Winter food storage - I guess. A chipmunk is just as capable of doing damage as any mouse or rat.

I can't believe people live trap rodents and transport them to other places. I suppose they also stop along the way and hug a tree. Jesus - get a life and face reality.

jfh28

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 2425
I've noticed this year that the food scrapes I put in the compost bin have been disappearing rather quickly and not because they are turning into rich soil......lol......the other day I saw some rather large hawks diving down by the bin so I suspect I will not be having this problem much longer...... :) .........Jack

AchingBack

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2615HST
A friend's grandson was using his tractor to cut brush. All went well until after the young man returned from lunch and resumed cutting. Before he realized a ground squirrel had chewed through a coolant line and drained most of the anti-freeze, it was too late. Engine had to be replaced.

Oosik has the right idea. If you leave the hood down and a rodent makes a nest in the engine compartment, cats aren't able to easily get in there and dispatch them.

Doofy

Elite Member
Tractor
LS XR 3135HC
Yes - chipmunks also. I trap the little bastards because they also get into the engine compartment and pack many little nooks and crannies with seeds. Winter food storage - I guess. A chipmunk is just as capable of doing damage as any mouse or rat.

I can't believe people live trap rodents and transport them to other places. I suppose they also stop along the way and hug a tree. Jesus - get a life and face reality.

oosik,

If you hurry, Anchorage Animal Control is running a $15 cat adoption special. You could get a whole herd cheap!

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Thanks Doofy - just what I need down here -- a bunch of liberal, left-minded cats from Anchorage - ha,ha. True story - friend of my son goes into Spokane Animal Control and says he need a sack full on barn cats. Word is - they darn near put him down and cuffed him right there. Like he said - they won't have to provide the sack - he had a burlap sack with him.

I think - honest to God - some people where born in front of the plow. At least up where you are Doofy - you only have to face that crap if and when you want to drive down into Anchorage. All you have to do is learn to hold your breath long enough to get your job done and be back home as far as Palmer. At Palmer you can start breathing normal again.

GirlWhoWantsTractor

Platinum Member
Tractor
2018 Mahindra 26XL HST, Husqv GT48XLsi & YTH48LS

Chipmunks don't climb very well.

"Reality" is that sometimes we have to act if animals threaten our possessions, or stock, or livelihoods. Or if hunger threatens. That is life. That is reality. But to JOKE about it and REJOICE in it, to me that is wrong, and un-Christian. Un-manly too. The best men I know are strong and brave but with tender hearts, and they only do "what they have to do" when there are no other options, and then with regret.

"Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

"How countless are Your works, Lord! In wisdom You have made them all; the earth is full of Your creatures."

"Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls?"

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
GirlWhoWantsTractor - - Hey, whatever works for you. Speaking as a true atheist - - I just better let this one ride. Definitely has nothing to do with rodents or vehicles. Have a good evening.

PhysAssist

Elite Member
Upstate NY- see the BIG lake- look just below it..
Tractor
Kubota B2320
Had trouble for the first time ever with mice this year. Packed the blower motor housing on my Tundra so tightly with insulation that it vibrated so bad I though my truck was going to shake itself apart. Did the same on the car, but no insulation, just a nut. Had to replace cabin filters on both.
Trapped 7 and haven't had one in a trap for over a week. Maybe I have exterminated them!

Will

We had never had any problems until last winter, then we had them in both our Hondas- not just in the engine compartment though- all over the interior.

I almost expected them in the Fit, we bought it used, and it had had some body work done- but one [or more] got in the A-pillar- chewed through both the antenna cable and the rear washer tubing.

Our first clue was that the washer stopped working, the second was an orange stain in the headliner over the front passenger door [we use the orange Rain-x washer juice.]

In both cars, anything left in the glove box or cargo areas got chewed up.

We put some traps in caught a few and now only ever have the occasional new dead beasty in the traps- which will stay in the vehicles til they're retired.

We had no trouble w/ our F-350, XC for once a squirrel nested in the air box, so whenever you tried to accelerate the nest would get sucked against the filter and cut off the air flow- stalling out the motor.

Our Kubota had an air cleaner full of hickory nuts last time we sent it in for repairs and service, so I made a screen out of perforated metal to interdict the open end of the intake from rodent entry.

Doofy

Elite Member
Tractor
LS XR 3135HC
Thanks Doofy - just what I need down here -- a bunch of liberal, left-minded cats from Anchorage - ha,ha. True story - friend of my son goes into Spokane Animal Control and says he need a sack full on barn cats. Word is - they darn near put him down and cuffed him right there. Like he said - they won't have to provide the sack - he had a burlap sack with him.

I think - honest to God - some people where born in front of the plow. At least up where you are Doofy - you only have to face that crap if and when you want to drive down into Anchorage. All you have to do is learn to hold your breath long enough to get your job done and be back home as far as Palmer. At Palmer you can start breathing normal again.

Very true, oosik. Anchorage has become a total cesspool of humanity. We haven't been to "Town" in about 13 years.
Palmer/Wasilla isn't far behind either. Some years we make it to "Three Bears", some years we don't. We are almost to the point of heading South. Rain has been non-stop so we had no Summer. After 55 years, even my nerves are wearing thin.

But, but, my new grapple should be delivered tomorrow and my attitude is bound to improve! Hahahaha

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Hey - great on the grapple, Doofy. What are you getting?? See - now I had to look up Three Bears. It was still up in Tok when we left AK in '82.

Gee - - you got rain. Its so dry here - a popcorn fart would be classified as soggy. When you get organized with that new toy - post a picture for us.

And just to keep us legit - no mouse nests allowed in or on the new grapple.

Doofy

Elite Member
Tractor
LS XR 3135HC
oosik, will add photos soon with that new grapple (Wicked60). It has taken 9 days from Wasilla...136 miles. Our only local hauling company is under new management and is a total mess. If I would have know they were going to take so long, I would have taken the topper off the Ranger and hauled it myself. Also getting a 3ph post hole digger an a sub-soiler.

The Three Bears in Tok has really grown but the one they had in Valdez closed down. You may have this rain...10" so far this year. My toes are becoming webbed.

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Ah - you are really gearing up - got some big projects in mind. Well - everybody has to pass thru Tok - - not so much Valdez. Don't strain anything unpacking the new toys. Enjoy.

BTW - just out for late night call - no sign of rats and none of the traps have been bothered. Maybe that's it for a while.

DrRod

Platinum Member
Ellicott City, MD - Farm in Orbisonia PA (south ce
Tractor
John Deere 4110
Started my riding mower this year and there was a terrible rattling noise coming from the engine. Took it into the shop and found a quart of hickory nuts in there. ATVs have ben particularly vulnerable with nests in the air box and wires chewed. I'm not here all the time so I can't sustain and population fo cats but I sure would like to.

ChiefBodie

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ventrac 4500Y
I'm boring down I-90 into Spokane. A little field mouse pops out of the windshield heater vent opening. We were both surprised.

I once towed a travel trailer many miles but then needed to stop for fuel. As I was fueling up, a large rat popped up from the overhead a/c unit, ran down the side of the trailer, across the asphalt, and into the ivy in the service station planter. It's called rehoming. :)

ericm979

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson 3725H
The **** rats ate all the tomatoes and peppers in the garden last night! Even the unripe ones. I bought some more rat traps at the Home Despot today and the clerk told me they've been selling a lot of them.

rgr33

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 950. LS g3033. Kubota RTV 900. Exmark Lazer Z
[

I can't believe people live trap rodents and transport them to other places. I suppose they also stop along the way and hug a tree. Jesus - get a life and face reality.[/QUOTE]

My wife insisted we trap and relocate 38 squirrels last summer, not too happy to have my neighbors witnessing the release. Pretty sure they are all back this year, fat and happy

dfkrug

Tractor
05 Kioti CK30HST w/ Prairie Dog backhoe, XN08 mini-X
We have been overwhelmed with wood rats in the past year here in the Santa Cruz Mtns. Last year, we started having problems with them climbing the stucco of the house, then biting holes in the screen. When I would hear them, usually at 3AM, I would get up and shine a flashlight on them.

This year, I was getting nests in the BBQ, up on my deck. Clear them out, and they would be back, sometimes only a day or 2 later. So I started trapping them. Made a bucket trap to supplement my conventional rat traps. Sometimes, the bait would be gone, but no rats in the bucket. So I bought a game camera, and here is one of the first videos. My rat count is now 20, over the past month or so. I sometimes get 2 in one night. wood rat 18AUG18 - YouTube

To the OP: I park most of my vehicles indoors, but a friend had $1200 rat damage done to his new SUV 7 or 8 years ago, and the only solution that has worked for him is to park it with the hood open.

Doofy

Elite Member
Tractor
LS XR 3135HC
We don't have wood rats. Red Squirrels are our big problem. They chew and ruin any wire they find, even live wires. We thought about rat traps but we have a ermine that keeps the red-backed vole population down so we don't want to trap him. Subsonic .22 is our remedy.

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
dfkrug - if your wood rats(pack rats) are anything like what I'm getting here - they are either intensely stupid or amazingly brave. In the last month I've killed four. One in a trap and three with my 22 pistol. I have been able to get within ten feet of the three I shot - fortunate, because in the pitch black of night a long shot would probably miss. Spotlight them with my big 'ol Makita flashlight and then "BANG".

Doofy - about 25 years ago we had one pine squirrel around the place here. Nothing before or since. I think I might have killed him - with kindness. I bought a bag of unsalted peanuts, filled a plastic Shed Spread bowl half full - set it out in a pine tree about half a mile from the house. Pine squirrel found the nuts - ate them all - we never saw hide nor hair of him again.

I initially used some yuppy designed plastic rat traps. They were somehow getting the food and not being trapped. I, just today, bought some good old Victor wood rat traps. Wow - what a difference. One misfired while I was setting it and it darn near took my thumb off. I'll get to see if they work any better, in the morning. I'm trying new bait also - across the trigger/foot - a spread of peanut butter and sprinkled and pressed into the peanut butter - salted sunflower seeds. Heck - its taking all my willpower to keep from licking the bait off the traps myself.

It just doesn't make good, common sense. I know the rats have always been out here in the country - but this is the first time in 36+ years that they have moved in and are building nests in my two vehicles. I have changed nothing in the 36 years and do nothing, now, that should attract them. I quit burning my garbage 25 years ago because it was attracting the raccoons. Maybe just a natural population explosion - who knows.

This certainly - by far and away - is the worst year I've ever had for pocket gophers. One large section of my lawn looks like a practice area for the light infantry mortar brigade.

Lord help them if they so much as lay a paw on my tractor. Out comes the 12 gauge - number two shot with high based loads and 70% nitro ditching powder.

So far they are only building nests and crapping everywhere. My resolve will increase directly proportional to their actions.

Last edited:

Doofy

Elite Member
Tractor
LS XR 3135HC
oosik,
For 20 years we had just one squirrel and he never acted out and never came to close to the house. He ate a little bird seed and a few peanuts but never chased the birds like this new crop.

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
I though about various forms of poison but I have an 8 month old Chocolate Lab and EVERYTHING outside goes in his mouth - for a taste, at least. Fortunately - the other day he found that hot, green, steaming cow s h i t was not to his liking. I almost passed out - I laughed so hard. And surprisingly - like all the other stinking things he finds to roll in - he didn't roll in the fresh pies.

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I though about various forms of poison but I have an 8 month old Chocolate Lab and EVERYTHING outside goes in his mouth - for a taste, at least. Fortunately - the other day he found that hot, green, steaming cow s h i t was not to his liking. I almost passed out - I laughed so hard. And surprisingly - like all the other stinking things he finds to roll in - he didn't roll in the fresh pies.
Oh, you're in for a treat. :laughing:
My last dog loved to roll in stinky stuff, usually on the right side of her neck. Then she would come up next to me so that I would scratch her neck; I think she did it just so that I would look down at my hand and go "EWWWW!"
One time I gave her a bath just before heading off to New York; I thought "Great, there aren't many moose there so she will stay clean for a while. That lasted about half a day; I was eating my lunch when she found a nice big pile of otter s*** to roll in.

Getting back on topic, have any of you who use .22's on smaller varmints ever tried the shotshells?

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Jstpssng - long time ago I tried 22 shot shells. Work good out to about 20 to 30 feet. Beyond that the spread is just too big. My current - up close - adventures with the pack rats is very unusual. Usually its me and my Winchester Model 9422 - out on the porch making a fairly long shot. The rare skunk or porcupine or chipmunk. I usually let EVERYTHING go on its merry way - as long as that is there intention. Its been MANY years since I've found it necessary to shoot anything. Except these dam pack rats.

Ritothebull

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey 461 Massey 165 . KTM SDGT
My daughter got a cat about 5 years ago and this cat liked to chew those soft I-Phone charger cords. After replacing 3 or 4 cords I started wiping them with Louisiana hot sauce and that was the end of the cord chewing.

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Never had an INSIDE cat here. Many outside cats but they eventually go the way of - barn owl, great horned owl or coyote. Some have even lasted 6 to 8 years but eventually they become brave(stupid) and go out beyond the influence of the big 'ol yard light at night. This is the realm of the coyote and owl - the cat always looses.

However - an old friend came to help the other evening. Yesterday I backed the Jeep out of its carport stall and there was a fresh pile of coyote poop. Looks like they have come in to greet the pack rats also. They are more than welcome - never have been a problem for me. Wish they would take a look at my pocket gophers also.

ZTMAN

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2380
Most of you know I live out in the country and I certainly seem to have my share of rodents. Pocket gophers, chipmunks, mice and THIS year a new participant - pack rats. Where as the mice will occasionally build small nests in the engine compartment - pack rats will build a palace. Chipmunks - they like to store seeds in unique places in the engine compartment. Fortunately, none of these critters have done any chewing anywhere and none have ever entered the passenger compartments.

I think I have tried just about everything to keep them out of the engine compartment - most are a dismal failure. Moth balls, dryer sheets, various repellents, etc, etc.

Most recently I have done something that does work, and works 100% of the time. Its going on ten days now and no rodents in any of my three vehicles - tractor, Jeep, pickup.

I open the hood on the vehicle and leave it open. It appears the mice and rats like the engine compartment because its a closed environment.

Easy to do - costs nothing - all you have to do is close the hood when you want to use the vehicle.

Give it a try. Let us know how it works for you.

Did the same thing with ATVs. Mice used to make a nest in the air box. Just left the seat off of the ATV and it keeps them away.

PILOON

Super Star Member
Tractor
MT180D
[

My wife insisted we trap and relocate 38 squirrels last summer, not too happy to have my neighbors witnessing the release. Pretty sure they are all back this year, fat and happy[/QUOTE]

LOL, neighbor was doing that catch and release trick also.
When he would no believe me saying they'd just be back I grabbed a spay paint can and colored one of his catches.
Next day he started shooting them!

By his count he'd caught and released over 100.

LOL, perhaps the same 10, ten times.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other day I looked out my kitchen window and behold a chipmunk stared back at me.
He was sitting on a cedar branch that was easily 8 ft above ground. Who said chipmunks don't climb!

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Last night the new Victor rat traps did their job - rat #5 down and out. Will_C - I've had the mice pack grass, leaves, pine needles, pine bark into the heater ducting. Turn the fan on and be showered with all that crapola. Never enough to plug the ducting - just makes a wholly mess in the passenger compartment. Plus the occasional mouse turd.

The rats seem to like my new bait - - a light spread of peanut butter followed by a generous helping of salted sunflower seeds - lightly pressed into the peanut butter. All neatly spread and presented on a bright yellow Victor plastic pedal.

Whatever - I'm here for the duration - they are simply passing thru.

Good friend use to live right in "down town Amber". His wife is a trauma nurse and made him use live catch and relocate. I was there several years ago and he had a coon with a gimp foot - fighting or caught in a trap??? He relocated that coon eight mile south of Rock lake - about 32 miles south of us here. The same coon was back in his yard within a week - either that or two coons had the same gimp foot. Tony(good friend) had an outside smoker where he smoked the steelhead he would catch out of the Snake River - down by Clarkston. I think the coon hoped he could catch the operation while Tony was doing some smoking.

Doofy

Elite Member
Tractor
LS XR 3135HC
Oh, you're in for a treat. :laughing:
My last dog loved to roll in stinky stuff, usually on the right side of her neck. Then she would come up next to me so that I would scratch her neck; I think she did it just so that I would look down at my hand and go "EWWWW!"
One time I gave her a bath just before heading off to New York; I thought "Great, there aren't many moose there so she will stay clean for a while. That lasted about half a day; I was eating my lunch when she found a nice big pile of otter s*** to roll in.

Getting back on topic, have any of you who use .22's on smaller varmints ever tried the shotshells?

With the shot-shells as with the gritty bird shot, you need to be within 20-30 feet. Most rats and squirrels won't let you get that close.

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Keeryst - I got 80 acres of ancient forrest Ponderosa pines. Its nothing new to see two chipmunks on the very top branches fighting or making love - ??? Most of my big pines are well over 100 feet tall. Chipmunks can either climb or fly - - take your pick. If I could bounce up/down thru the branches of the big 'ol pines like they do - - makes me tired just to think about it.

ericm979

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson 3725H
I don't know how some of you are shooting wood rats. The ones we have are nocturnal and avoid people. The only one I have seen during the day was when I took down a nest that'd been in a patch of poison oak I cleared. When I went to pick up the nest with the grapple a rat popped out and ran flat out for another brush patch.

PhysAssist

Elite Member
Upstate NY- see the BIG lake- look just below it..
Tractor
Kubota B2320
We don't have wood rats. Red Squirrels are our big problem. They chew and ruin any wire they find, even live wires. We thought about rat traps but we have a ermine that keeps the red-backed vole population down so we don't want to trap him. Subsonic .22 is our remedy.

We used to have a frequent problem with them little red buggers getting up into our attic- we could hear them scratching and chewing up there at night- made my SWMBO a little creeped out.

So I snuck up and shot one with a pellet gun, then I scattered bags of poison bait around up there and did my level best to close up all the [tiny] gaps between our chimney and the soffit on either side of it with steel wool and crumpled aluminum foil [which seems to work just as well].

Anyway, after just a couple weeks we had some stinky aromas coming down from the attic ceiling for a few days, [thank GOD it was moving into winter, cuz it must've froze up pretty quickly, then desiccated/freeze dried before spring], and then we didn't see or hear them any more.

But they must have been keeping the flying squirrels out, because the next spring when I went up on the roof, one came out and climbed on the chimney then flew [glided] from the chimney to a big maple about 75' away.

Those must be able to get in through even smaller holes, so around I went again- and sure enough, there were still some TINIER holes- which I plugged w/ steel wool and caulk- went up, spread fresh poison, and we haven't heard or smelled any more since.

But either the red ones or the flying ones were keeping the grey ones away, because now we get them emptying our bird feeders, and driving the dogs nuts watching them through the LR windows- but as long as they aren't trying to move in, I guess I'm OK w/ that.

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Ah - thank you for that point, eric. Two rats have been caught in traps - at night. The other three - I shot at night - 22 pistol - big 'ol Makita flash light. They obviously "hole up" somewhere in the day time - I've never seen a live one in the daylight. My open bay carport backs right into a large patch of buck brush. I'm sure they have nests somewhere in that brush. There could be several other "critters" out in the brush also. Critters that I really don't want to have to deal with - nasty spiders and, possibly, rattlesnakes.

I really surprised myself with my 22 pistol. I'm a lot better with it than I though - especially beings it was night.

I'm out here by myself and I've had to drive into the Dr office after being bitten - long ago. Different story for a different time.

DrRod

Platinum Member
Ellicott City, MD - Farm in Orbisonia PA (south ce
Tractor
John Deere 4110
When I was in college, I spent a summer as the cook for a Boy Scout Camp in PA. One morning we hopped in a '69 GTO owned by one of the other staffers [I myself had a Road Runner -- those were the days]. About 10 minutes into the trip, a mouse came crawling out of a hood scoop. We watched in fascination as he slowly slid back toward the windshield, pushed by the 55 mph breeze. The GTO had wipers hidden behind a raised lip on the edge of the hood so the mouse kind of flipped over the lip and found refuge with the wipers. He stayed there for the remaining 10 minutes of the trip to town. I remember it as one of the funniest things ever, especially for a car load of 20 year-olds.

buckeyefarmer

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4
I was at a boy scout camp, in bed under my mosqitto net, and had mice run across my chest. We were lucky to have mice, the spots without mice had snakes.