Rodents & Vehicles

/ Rodents & Vehicles #11  
Jstpssng - I had the exact same thing happen on my Jeep as I'm boring down I-90 into Spokane. A little field mouse pops out of the windshield heater vent opening. We were both surprised. He waited to exit the vehicle until I parked at Walmart. Ugg - roast mouse. Shades of the practices of certain groups in India. Only there its rats.
Have you ever watched Farley Mowatt's "Never Cry Wolf"? It's a rather comical piece of fiction, unfortunately purported as research.

/ Rodents & Vehicles #12  
Out around 11pm so the dog can do his business and there on the porch sits a rat. I shine my big 'ol Mikita flashlight on him and he just blinks.

Once this happens, you have a big problem, much bigger than you may think. :) Why don't the coyotes take the rats too? Too many?

/ Rodents & Vehicles
The coyotes DO take the mice, chipmunks, rats, etc, etc - as far as the rats - that may be one of the reasons I'm seeing rats this year. There has been a dramatic increase in the coyote population. The coyotes will come in close but not where the yard light shines. The rats are coming in close to get away from the coyotes.

Whatever - four rats in 36+ years isn't that bad. And I just continue to set, check, empty and rebait the traps. Been that way for 36 years - isn't about to change. For every mouse, rat, chipmunk I trap there are probably several out there in the buck brush just waiting their turn. Just a part of country living.

/ Rodents & Vehicles
Yes - chipmunks also. I trap the little bastards because they also get into the engine compartment and pack many little nooks and crannies with seeds. Winter food storage - I guess. A chipmunk is just as capable of doing damage as any mouse or rat.

I can't believe people live trap rodents and transport them to other places. I suppose they also stop along the way and hug a tree. Jesus - get a life and face reality.

/ Rodents & Vehicles #17  
I've noticed this year that the food scrapes I put in the compost bin have been disappearing rather quickly and not because they are turning into rich soil......lol......the other day I saw some rather large hawks diving down by the bin so I suspect I will not be having this problem much longer...... :) .........Jack

/ Rodents & Vehicles #18  
A friend's grandson was using his tractor to cut brush. All went well until after the young man returned from lunch and resumed cutting. Before he realized a ground squirrel had chewed through a coolant line and drained most of the anti-freeze, it was too late. Engine had to be replaced.

Oosik has the right idea. If you leave the hood down and a rodent makes a nest in the engine compartment, cats aren't able to easily get in there and dispatch them.

/ Rodents & Vehicles #19  
Yes - chipmunks also. I trap the little bastards because they also get into the engine compartment and pack many little nooks and crannies with seeds. Winter food storage - I guess. A chipmunk is just as capable of doing damage as any mouse or rat.

I can't believe people live trap rodents and transport them to other places. I suppose they also stop along the way and hug a tree. Jesus - get a life and face reality.

oosik,

If you hurry, Anchorage Animal Control is running a $15 cat adoption special. You could get a whole herd cheap!

/ Rodents & Vehicles
Thanks Doofy - just what I need down here -- a bunch of liberal, left-minded cats from Anchorage - ha,ha. True story - friend of my son goes into Spokane Animal Control and says he need a sack full on barn cats. Word is - they darn near put him down and cuffed him right there. Like he said - they won't have to provide the sack - he had a burlap sack with him.

I think - honest to God - some people where born in front of the plow. At least up where you are Doofy - you only have to face that crap if and when you want to drive down into Anchorage. All you have to do is learn to hold your breath long enough to get your job done and be back home as far as Palmer. At Palmer you can start breathing normal again.