Rodents & Vehicles

/ Rodents & Vehicles #21  
Yes - chipmunks also. I trap the little bastards because they also get into the engine compartment and pack many little nooks and crannies with seeds. Winter food storage - I guess. A chipmunk is just as capable of doing damage as any mouse or rat.

I can't believe people live trap rodents and transport them to other places. I suppose they also stop along the way and hug a tree. Jesus - get a life and face reality.

Chipmunks don't climb very well.

"Reality" is that sometimes we have to act if animals threaten our possessions, or stock, or livelihoods. Or if hunger threatens. That is life. That is reality. But to JOKE about it and REJOICE in it, to me that is wrong, and un-Christian. Un-manly too. The best men I know are strong and brave but with tender hearts, and they only do "what they have to do" when there are no other options, and then with regret.

"Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

"How countless are Your works, Lord! In wisdom You have made them all; the earth is full of Your creatures."

"Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls?"

/ Rodents & Vehicles
GirlWhoWantsTractor - - Hey, whatever works for you. Speaking as a true atheist - - I just better let this one ride. Definitely has nothing to do with rodents or vehicles. Have a good evening.

/ Rodents & Vehicles #23  
Had trouble for the first time ever with mice this year. Packed the blower motor housing on my Tundra so tightly with insulation that it vibrated so bad I though my truck was going to shake itself apart. Did the same on the car, but no insulation, just a nut. Had to replace cabin filters on both.
Trapped 7 and haven't had one in a trap for over a week. Maybe I have exterminated them!

Will

We had never had any problems until last winter, then we had them in both our Hondas- not just in the engine compartment though- all over the interior.

I almost expected them in the Fit, we bought it used, and it had had some body work done- but one [or more] got in the A-pillar- chewed through both the antenna cable and the rear washer tubing.

Our first clue was that the washer stopped working, the second was an orange stain in the headliner over the front passenger door [we use the orange Rain-x washer juice.]

In both cars, anything left in the glove box or cargo areas got chewed up.

We put some traps in caught a few and now only ever have the occasional new dead beasty in the traps- which will stay in the vehicles til they're retired.

We had no trouble w/ our F-350, XC for once a squirrel nested in the air box, so whenever you tried to accelerate the nest would get sucked against the filter and cut off the air flow- stalling out the motor.

Our Kubota had an air cleaner full of hickory nuts last time we sent it in for repairs and service, so I made a screen out of perforated metal to interdict the open end of the intake from rodent entry.

/ Rodents & Vehicles #24  
Thanks Doofy - just what I need down here -- a bunch of liberal, left-minded cats from Anchorage - ha,ha. True story - friend of my son goes into Spokane Animal Control and says he need a sack full on barn cats. Word is - they darn near put him down and cuffed him right there. Like he said - they won't have to provide the sack - he had a burlap sack with him.

I think - honest to God - some people where born in front of the plow. At least up where you are Doofy - you only have to face that crap if and when you want to drive down into Anchorage. All you have to do is learn to hold your breath long enough to get your job done and be back home as far as Palmer. At Palmer you can start breathing normal again.

Very true, oosik. Anchorage has become a total cesspool of humanity. We haven't been to "Town" in about 13 years.
Palmer/Wasilla isn't far behind either. Some years we make it to "Three Bears", some years we don't. We are almost to the point of heading South. Rain has been non-stop so we had no Summer. After 55 years, even my nerves are wearing thin.

But, but, my new grapple should be delivered tomorrow and my attitude is bound to improve! Hahahaha

/ Rodents & Vehicles
Hey - great on the grapple, Doofy. What are you getting?? See - now I had to look up Three Bears. It was still up in Tok when we left AK in '82.

Gee - - you got rain. Its so dry here - a popcorn fart would be classified as soggy. When you get organized with that new toy - post a picture for us.

And just to keep us legit - no mouse nests allowed in or on the new grapple.

/ Rodents & Vehicles #26  
oosik, will add photos soon with that new grapple (Wicked60). It has taken 9 days from Wasilla...136 miles. Our only local hauling company is under new management and is a total mess. If I would have know they were going to take so long, I would have taken the topper off the Ranger and hauled it myself. Also getting a 3ph post hole digger an a sub-soiler.

The Three Bears in Tok has really grown but the one they had in Valdez closed down. You may have this rain...10" so far this year. My toes are becoming webbed.

/ Rodents & Vehicles
Ah - you are really gearing up - got some big projects in mind. Well - everybody has to pass thru Tok - - not so much Valdez. Don't strain anything unpacking the new toys. Enjoy.

BTW - just out for late night call - no sign of rats and none of the traps have been bothered. Maybe that's it for a while.

/ Rodents & Vehicles #28  
Started my riding mower this year and there was a terrible rattling noise coming from the engine. Took it into the shop and found a quart of hickory nuts in there. ATVs have ben particularly vulnerable with nests in the air box and wires chewed. I'm not here all the time so I can't sustain and population fo cats but I sure would like to.

/ Rodents & Vehicles #29  
I'm boring down I-90 into Spokane. A little field mouse pops out of the windshield heater vent opening. We were both surprised.

I once towed a travel trailer many miles but then needed to stop for fuel. As I was fueling up, a large rat popped up from the overhead a/c unit, ran down the side of the trailer, across the asphalt, and into the ivy in the service station planter. It's called rehoming. :)

/ Rodents & Vehicles #30  
The **** rats ate all the tomatoes and peppers in the garden last night! Even the unripe ones. I bought some more rat traps at the Home Despot today and the clerk told me they've been selling a lot of them.