Roll Cage and Sweeps for the M5640

/ Roll Cage and Sweeps for the M5640 #1  

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer
Somehow last winter I got it in my head that I should build a roll cage and sweeps for my woods tractor. I spent a lot of time thinking about it and before I knew it I got started. I've been at it for a while working in spurts. The first thing I did was to modify/enhance my grill guard to give me a good place to mount the sweeps. I made an industrial looking frame from 2X2-1/2X1/4 angle that bolts onto the top and sides of the grill guard.

I'm not a welder but I enjoy trying.

P1000910(2).JPG

Then I added a 3/8 plate on the bottom to give me better lower protection, a place to mount hooks, and some under armor someday.

P1000961(1).JPG

The 2" receiver tube bolts to the tractor frame using the main FEL brace bolts.

P1010041.JPG

P1010045.JPG

A little paint.
P1010055.JPG

And this is what I ended up with.

P1010063.JPG

With that part done spring was here and I started working on fire wood and other chores. And right now I have to watch a ball game.

EDIT: I should have said up front that I got a ton of ideas from guys like DesielCrawler, RustIron, OverSized, and many more. Thank you all.

gg

Last edited:
   / Roll Cage and Sweeps for the M5640 #2  
Looking good (y)

/ Roll Cage and Sweeps for the M5640 #3  
Gordon I'd be happy to give you any additional pictures or... whatever I can to help. 👍
Looks great so far.

/ Roll Cage and Sweeps for the M5640
Thanks all.
I wanted to make the cage so that it could be removed by un-bolting and w/o having to take anything else apart. Sitting in the armchair I figured I would weld a mounting pad for the front upright posts onto the round tube that supports the loader frame towers just like most that I have seen did. But when it came time to do it I could not find a good way up thru or around the FEL and 3rd function valves and hoses w/o limiting access to the seat. So I ended up putting the mounting pads on top of a couple of standoffs made from 3/8 bar and bolted in behind the loader frame cross brace.

P1010090.JPG

P1010105.JPG

P1010104.JPG

A view fro above.

P1010117.JPG

Next I made a wooden mock-up to see where I was headed and figure out the dimensions for the top frame.

P1010132(1).JPG

P1010125.JPG

gg

Last edited:
Continuing...
I made the top frame from 2X3/16 sq tube. It's about 3'X5'. The inside of the frame is 1/2 wider than the outside of the ROPS. I used 1/4 angle for the back piece. Welded using 3/32 7018.

P1010143(1).JPG

I made two rear uprights, left long, and a pair of ROPS clamps from 4X1/4 bar.

P1010155.JPG

P1010146(1).JPG

After clamping a board across the ROPS and making a little scaffold for the front I lifted the frame up into position with my L3010. I cut the angles on the rear uprights and slid the frame forward over them.

P1010165(1).JPG

P1010164(2).JPG

The next thing was to cut the two front uprights with compound angles at both ends resting on surfaces that were not parallel to each other. To procrastinate this a little and have some fun to relieve the stress I decided to fill in the space on the grill guard with a chunk of wood. I made a couple clamps that clip onto the back flange and slide up behind the piece of angle. They support the bottom of the "bumper" and the bolts draw it tight against the frame.

P1010169.JPG

P1010172.JPG

Later I had to trim 1-1/2 off each end because some loader fittings interfered when I raised the front of the tractor off the ground by dropping the bucket all the way. At first I wasn't sure I liked it but it is starting to grow on me and I want something in that open space.

gg

Last edited:
The method I used to cut the uprights was a little time consuming but almost fool-proof which was good in my case. I ripped down a two-by and slid a piece of tubing on each end so it would telescope. A couple of screw holes so I could lock it.

P1010265.JPG

Then I could scribe both ends, cut them, and then telescope to the correct length. From there it was easy to transfer the length and angles to the actual piece. Worked good.

P1010176.JPG

I tacked every thing then welded it all except for some joints behind the ROPS I couldn't get at. Then I took it off the tractor, welded up those joints plus put some plugs inside the open ends of the tubing.

P1010191.JPG

While it was off I painted it before I put it back on the tractor.

P1010193.JPG

Now the sweeps.

P1010204.JPG

P1010207.JPG

Put them up where they were going and marked out the front mounts.

P1010209.JPG

Welded up the front mounts and painted them.

P1010215.JPG

And finally the last welds. I've been using my wife's frost sheets for her garden for welding blankets. They work fine as long as you keep them wet.

P1010219.JPG

And that is the end of my long saga.

Too many pics so it wouldn't let me show the results.

gg

This is how it turned out.
P1010240(1).JPG

P1010243(1).JPG

Thanks for all the likes!!! I like it to. It was an adventure for me working on something that big out in free space off my little table.

gg

/ Roll Cage and Sweeps for the M5640 #8  
Nice job gg; from here your welding looks good:)
I have yet to attempt any woods protection on my cabbed M. It would be a daunting task for me.
I have to tread very carefully in my woodlot to avoid an expensive repair.

/ Roll Cage and Sweeps for the M5640 #9  
Awesome work. Now for a field test! Send pictures!

/ Roll Cage and Sweeps for the M5640 #10  
So ya.. I'm gonna need you to come over and do mine now. All the pizza and whatever you drink provided. :)