Roll Off Weight

/ Roll Off Weight #1  

bgott

Veteran Member
Tractor
2001 TN65, 1951 8N Ford
I'm cleaning up some property I bought last month. I have a 40 yard roll off dumpster on site. I have a burn pile and two trash piles I have to scrape out of the dirt. My question is this, just how much dirt can you stick in one of these dumpsters without overloading it to the point the truck can't winch it up? I'm having to dig pretty deep in a few places to get the broken glass and other junk out of the ground and I'm doing a real good job of compacting the load. I don't want to have to unload part of this thing to get it out of here!

/ Roll Off Weight #2  
What type of trucks are the Rolloffs, We had a GMC General and DM600 Sidewinder Mack the mack was slower but lifeted heavier loads because of the 5 speed pto. the main thing is they dont want too much light stuff on the bottom and the dirt on top. Weve hauled around 14 yards of dirt on the heavy truck and 10 on the Lighter truck. Hope this helps Taylor Lambert

/ Roll Off Weight
This dirt and other stuff is packed to the front. It isn't all dirt but I am getting enough in there that it's making me kind of nervous. I should only have another five to ten yards of half dirt, the rest will be household stuff out of the mobile home and tree limbs and logs.

/ Roll Off Weight #4  
My handy Pocket Reference shows "Earth, dry, loam, excavated" at 2106 lbs/cubic foot. "Manure" and "Peat" are at 675 lbs/cubic foot. I would think dirt would be somewhere between these two. "Garbage" is listed at 810 lbs.

Jim

/ Roll Off Weight
Being that there is a lot of furniture and brush mixed in the garbage and dirt I can probably figure on figure 1000 to 1200 pounds to the yard. I know that the truck can lift at least 48,000 pounds, if not they need to fix it. Thanks!

/ Roll Off Weight #6  
Boy you guys got some heavy gravity there. I believe the weight you are referencing is per cubic yard, not cubic foot. A cubic yard is 27 times bigger. Still your point is made!!

/ Roll Off Weight #7  
Bgott,

I recently got one of these to clean up my place.
I asked the company up front.... what if I fill it full of gravel?
The response was no problem but we will charge you more. They had a weight limit. Beyond that extra charge. I bileve it was 8 tons.

I would call and ask the company. They should be able to clear this up. And like you said it would be a whole lot better to know before they tell you need to unload it.

Phred

/ Roll Off Weight #8  
How timely! A neighbor has one stuck in the front yard now for three weeks. It was loaded by a separate company. They've snapped a few chains tryin' to get it on the truck. Since it was an old barn that was removed, and this was the last bin, it's loaded with the foundation rock as well as remaining dirt and debris. In fact, when the first chain snapped, the cable sailed up over the house power lines! I've noted at least seven times they've tried to hoist it up with no success! This is an interesting 'watch' on our daily walk.......

/ Roll Off Weight
The one I rented disappeared today so I guess I was O.K.. I bet your neighbor ends up doing some unloading!