Rolling about in tires

/ Rolling about in tires #11  
Several years ago my wife had a bad ATV accident. Broke her neck. We were in ICU for 4 days. One day the Doc and I were talking and I said we both had helmets on. He said yeah I know. That's more than likely what broke her neck. If wearing a helmet you should always wear a neck brace as well. Her head slammed forward until the chin guard hit her chest. Multiplied the pressure on her neck and cause a fracture......
Doesn't sound good, how is she now?

On another note, the nascar drivers have a tether/neck restraint on them to prevent that. I wonder if that is available for ATVs, etc? Jon

/ Rolling about in tires #12  
Doesn't sound good, how is she now?

On another note, the nascar drivers have a tether/neck restraint on them to prevent that. I wonder if that is available for ATVs, etc? Jon
She broke her neck, broke her collar bone, broke two ribs. Happened 15 years ago. She's fine. Thanks for asking.

/ Rolling about in tires #13  
Back in the early '60s in CT we used a cardboard box from a refrig or washing machine and opened the two ends and made a track-like item to roll down the hills with. Not as fast as a round item but still fun - especially when we had 2 or 3 kids in it at a time !! It's amazing we didn't have more broken bones etc back then.

/ Rolling about in tires
They’re narrow tires though. I’d say they were tractor tires.
One site lists a the width at 3.5 ".
Years after I was grown Dad found a tall narrow tire in the woods somewhere and made a swing for my son out of it for my son. He said the tire was from a Model T.

Last edited:
   / Rolling about in tires
In the late fifties or early sixties, my dad used to talk about how he and his brothers would roll one another head over heels in used auto tires. I tried to position myself inside a tire taken from his fairly modern car. Even then, I was far too big to get inside any way but sideways. Many years later, I learned that Model Ts has 30" tires.
Dad was from the flat part of the state below the fall line. I imagine all his rolling was done with the aid of a brother pushing.