Root raking techniques with the Land Pride SGC1072 Grapple

/ Root raking techniques with the Land Pride SGC1072 Grapple #1  

Bullwinkle123

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400HST, Z724XKW-3-54
See photos:

DSCN2780.jpgDSCN2778.jpg

If I recall correctly (don't have the book in front of me right now), the Land Pride owner manual says that I should rake roots with the heel spurs on this grapple (backing up), and not necessarily the bottom or top tines in the grapple (dunno if I'm using the right words).

However those heel spurs are maybe 5 inches tops (estimate), and the hydraulic hoses are uncomfortably close to them when the grapple is on the ground. (The hoses are more distant from the spurs when the grapple is in the air, but then I can't rake roots with it). You can see the dirt on the hoses from my limited use.

I'm a new tractor owner, so I really don't have a good feel for how likely I am to damage my loader or hydraulics if I use the bottom or top grapple tines to rake roots.
Certainly if I'm scooping up a pile of stuff, I move forward and the lower tines occasionally slice a bit of soil. I've also tried to dig out a few rocks in my field with fairly limited success, it was much easier to dislodge big rocks with a combo bucket spade on my pallet forks (just what I had at the time, perhaps bare pallet forks would have done it fine too).

Anyway, share your techniques and wisdom please. If I dig in a bit with the bottom and go forward, or the top and go backward, am I likely to damage equipment?

Thanks!

/ Root raking techniques with the Land Pride SGC1072 Grapple #2  
See photos:

View attachment 658240View attachment 658241

If I recall correctly (don't have the book in front of me right now), the Land Pride owner manual says that I should rake roots with the heel spurs on this grapple (backing up), and not necessarily the bottom or top tines in the grapple (dunno if I'm using the right words).

However those heel spurs are maybe 5 inches tops (estimate), and the hydraulic hoses are uncomfortably close to them when the grapple is on the ground. (The hoses are more distant from the spurs when the grapple is in the air, but then I can't rake roots with it). You can see the dirt on the hoses from my limited use.

I'm a new tractor owner, so I really don't have a good feel for how likely I am to damage my loader or hydraulics if I use the bottom or top grapple tines to rake roots.
Certainly if I'm scooping up a pile of stuff, I move forward and the lower tines occasionally slice a bit of soil. I've also tried to dig out a few rocks in my field with fairly limited success, it was much easier to dislodge big rocks with a combo bucket spade on my pallet forks (just what I had at the time, perhaps bare pallet forks would have done it fine too).

Anyway, share your techniques and wisdom please. If I dig in a bit with the bottom and go forward, or the top and go backward, am I likely to damage equipment?

Thanks!
I have the same grapple and the hoses on mine are routed up and over to the center. They are still in harms way for backward raking though. I tilt the grapple back a bit on the heal tines and rake in forward with the loader in float. Or, I will open the grapple and tilt full forward lowering the top tines and rake in reverse in float. No damage as I take my time while in motion.

/ Root raking techniques with the Land Pride SGC1072 Grapple #3  
Don't have a lot of experience with this type grapple either but almost bought this grapple for my Kubota and for me it was a blessing the dealership sold it twice with me being the second one to go to pick it up and they were out. For me it was a good error on their part for it gave me time to relook the design and what you are running into is what turned me away from the LP and to EA's wicked grapple. The LP is a fine grapple but to me they are off in this part of their design.

With my EA they show using it at least sort of like citydude says and their works great that way. I was clearing up a lot of limbs and found using the top tines again as citydude does worked good. Only issue is you are backing over the trash you are raking so be sure what you are backing over will not damage your tractor. It may be necessary to drive into the trash and back dragging short distances to keep from backing over it.

It may seem like really slow work but when you realize you are raking 4 to 6 feet wide with each pull you really are making good time.