Rotary Cutter Rotary Cutter 'chains'

/ Rotary Cutter 'chains' #1  

beenthere

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_425, JD_455 AWS, added JD_455, JD_110, JD_X485(sold)
Rotary Cutter \'chains\'

Some have asked for a pic of the way I use chains on my JD 513 RC, that gives it the flexibility I want, and eliminates bending the steel support braces that the chains replace. This is an earlier photo of my setup that has been cleaned up recently.

Attachments

• 697789-Chains.JPG
    697789-Chains.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 545
   / Rotary Cutter 'chains' #2  
Re: Rotary Cutter \'chains\'

My old Rebel BH is similiar but has only one chain coming down to the rear. Was built that way and works great.
Ben

/ Rotary Cutter 'chains' #3  

Awesome I-Deere!

I broke the wheel of mine the other day... I figure the toplink was puting too much pressure on the rear of the hog when it went in and out of dips in the meadow, I was planning on welding it and putting a chain where the top link is, but I like your idea better

Cool man /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ken

/ Rotary Cutter 'chains' #4  

In '95, my new Bush Hog Squealer came originally with the single chain; don't know why they later changed to solid bars.

/ Rotary Cutter 'chains' #5  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( In '95, my new Bush Hog Squealer came originally with the single chain; don't know why they later changed to solid bars. )</font>

It's easy to bend the bars on a bush hog. The chains give you some flex that the bars just don't have.

/ Rotary Cutter 'chains' #6  

The paint was barely dry on my new Woods 72" when I backed up against a levee and bent the bars. Needless to say, it made affected my height and angle adjustment slightly. I replaced the big bars with some chains, and have been a happy camper ever since.

I can't even guess as to why the Mfr's. choose bars over chains. Could be to save money, could be to improve safety, but I can't imagine how.

/ Rotary Cutter 'chains' #7  

My 5 foot squealer came with a single chain back in 1983. works great, now if I can just keep the wire and stumps out of it I'd be set. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif