Rotary Cutter Size?

/ Rotary Cutter Size? #1  

ssramage

Tractor
Ford 1715
Tractor is a Ford 1715, 23hp at the PTO. I'm assuming I'll need to add weight to the front regardless of the cutter, which I'm still trying to find.

But, overall, would a 4' or 5' cutter be better behind this tractor? Primarily use is mowing hunting club roads and food plots. All relatively flat ground.

/ Rotary Cutter Size? #4  
Consider the weight of the cutter, too.

With a wider cutter than ideal, you can still mow by going slower or making a partial cut. But if you have an overweight cutter, things can get weird when traveling with the cutter raised. I think my heavy 4ft one would often bounce the front wheels off the ground when traveling if I had the loader removed.

Bruce

/ Rotary Cutter Size?
Consider the weight of the cutter, too.

With a wider cutter than ideal, you can still mow by going slower or making a partial cut. But if you have an overweight cutter, things can get weird when traveling with the cutter raised. I think my heavy 4ft one would often bounce the front wheels off the ground when traveling if I had the loader removed.

Bruce

Good point. The one I'm looking at is about 550#.

/ Rotary Cutter Size? #6  
Your tractor is a 1000lbs lighter than ours. I'm glad the other Bruce thought of the weight. My guess is you will be fine with 550# back there but be ready to add front ballast.

We cut on hills. The bucket and loader stay on to help us at top of the hills when things want to get very light in the front end.

Our brush mower is slightly heavier by about 200#.

/ Rotary Cutter Size? #7  
Ford 1715 Dimensions
Wheelbase:63 inches
160 cm
Length:112.4 inches
285 cm
Width:51.3 inches
130 cm
Height (ROPS):84.4 inches
214 cm
2WD Shipping weight:1929 lbs
874 kg
4WD Shipping weight:2116 lbs
959 kg
2WD Ground clearance:11.6 inches
29 cm
4WD Ground clearance:11.2 inches
28 cm
2WD Front tread:40.2 to 42.2 inches
102 to 107 cm
4WD Front tread:42.4 inches
107 cm
2WD Rear tread:42.2 to 48.2 inches
107 to 122 cm
4WD Rear tread:41.1 to 47.1 inches
104 to 119 cm

Ford 1715 Power
Engine (gross):27.3 hp
20.4 kW
Engine (net):26 hp
19.4 kW
PTO (claimed):23 hp
17.2 kW
Transmission
Type:gear
Gears:9 forward and 3 reverse
Three gears, plus reverse, in three ranges.

Would a 4' or 5' cutter be better behind this tractor? Primarily use is mowing hunting club roads and food plots. All relatively flat ground.

A 5' Rotary Cutter of 550 pounds weight will be fine cutting brush to 1" over flat ground. You will mow in mid-range at almost full throttle. Sharpen the blades periodically to reduce PTO loading.

Last edited:
   / Rotary Cutter Size? #8  
I run a 5' behind both my fords, a 1510 & 2N.

You'll be fine with the 5'er.

/ Rotary Cutter Size? #9  
I ran a 5 foot behind my 1710. Worked fine

Andy

/ Rotary Cutter Size?
Thanks everyone! I was leaning towards the 5' but wanted to make sure I wasn't getting too big. Now to find one! It's been a LONG time since I looked at bush hogs and they have skyrocketed in price like everything else I guess.