Rotary Cutter Slip Clutch Question

/ Rotary Cutter Slip Clutch Question #1  

CJBOTA

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 & MX5100
I am looking at buying a 2012 Land Pride RCD1884 Offset Rotary Cutter. The Specs say it has slip clutch driveline protection. This unit has two spindles and two gearboxes. My question is does each gearbox have it's own slip clutch or is there just one? Also, I noticed one gearbox is 65 HP and the other is only 45 Hp, why aren't they both 65 hp? Also, are there any inherent problems with a two box configuration that I should be concerned about.I think this mower has an excellent reputation, but I just want to make sure before I spend my money. The current owner said the mower only has 50 hours on it. And it looks like new. Thanks!
CJ

/ Rotary Cutter Slip Clutch Question #2  
Hmmm... Not familiar with this particular machine. But does the main gearbox feed the offset box?? If so, that's why the HP size difference.

I don't recall ever seeing a cutter that size with multiple slip clutch assemblies. Usually the slip is on the main drive shaft.

Good luck with the purchase. Post pics if you get it. :)

/ Rotary Cutter Slip Clutch Question
There is a box over each spindle. There is a connecting shaft between the two boxes. Then one of the boxes connects to the drive shaft which is connected to the tractor pto. Is the slip clutch supposed to protect the tractor drive, or the cutter gearboxes, or both? It is a land pride so I am fairly sure the design is solid I am just trying to understand how it works. And I am puzzled why the gearboxes are different sizes.

/ Rotary Cutter Slip Clutch Question #5  
Since you have a 50 Hp tractor..... Does it really matter? You are going to be doing all your tractor can do to run this beast in really tall grass.

The main box will have the clutch to protect the tractor. You will most likely stall before you ever slip it so hammer down knowing that what you are pulling is built way better that your machine can stress it. Looks like this is about the best of not enough power vs an implement that you can't hurt with it. If you are good with the price I'd say go for it.

This theory can go overboard and break a tractor. But it seems to me that you are right in that sweet area of almost too much implement and almost not enough tractor. I'm sure the tractor is a bit under rated and the cutter is a bit over rated. I'd love to find a setup like that for mine.

/ Rotary Cutter Slip Clutch Question #6  
I considered that same cutter when I bought my mx5100. My salesman told me that they were designed for tractors of that size and that they run about like a single spindle 6ft... Maybe easier. I didn't buy one because I do more heavy brush mowing than pasture clipping and he advised that it probably wouldn't hold up very well for that... I believe they're only rated for 1" capacity. At the time they had sold several and had good reports though.

/ Rotary Cutter Slip Clutch Question #7  
Slip clutches are great when they are working, if you decide to buy make sure the clutch/s are not frozen and adjusted properly. I have been running a six-foot RC with a shear-pin for 6-years and am happy with it's simplicity. A 30-cent bolt is much cheaper than a gear box.

/ Rotary Cutter Slip Clutch Question
Thanks everyone for your input. Yes, I was thinking for what I am doing it matches up good with the tractor. I don't let the grass get high in my orchard. Actually I have been mowing with an 84" befco finish mower. The reason I want the hog is because I am getting tired of mowing my 12 acre orchard every other week. I am going to let the grass get a foot or two high and mow maybe once a month. We have been taking the prunings from the peach trees out of the orchard and burning them. I want to start hust brush hogging them. As the trees have gotten larger it is to much work to pick up the prunings for 3000 trees. This unit is rated for 1-1/2 inch, most of our prunings are less than an inch. I really like the offset, it will reach under the trees a little. I think I am going to buy it today. Thanks again!......cj

/ Rotary Cutter Slip Clutch Question #9  
There is a box over each spindle. There is a connecting shaft between the two boxes. Then one of the boxes connects to the drive shaft which is connected to the tractor pto. Is the slip clutch supposed to protect the tractor drive, or the cutter gearboxes, or both? It is a land pride so I am fairly sure the design is solid I am just trying to understand how it works. And I am puzzled why the gearboxes are different sizes.

Yep. That's why the box being driven by the tractor is heavier. It has to turn one spindle, plus provide power to the other spindle.

The slip clutch is your friend. Study it and monitor it. If cutting uneven ground where the cutter might scalp, or cutting thru hidden obstacles such as stumps, rocks, etc., the clutch should slip some. Best way to find out if it's working is to loosen it until you can make it slip simply by engaging the PTO. Mark the plates/discs with a Sharpie. Make sure each piece is slipping against the other. Then retighten it according to the manual specifications. Understand the assembly. It's multiple fiber discs rubbing against steel plates. After sitting all Winter it's probably frozen. I suggest loosening it every Spring and readjusting. If you fail to maintain it and it freezes up, which it will, you then have a cutter with no safety release. Recipe for disaster. :(

/ Rotary Cutter Slip Clutch Question #10  
Yep. That's why the box being driven by the tractor is heavier. It has to turn one spindle, plus provide power to the other spindle.

The slip clutch is your friend. Study it and monitor it. If cutting uneven ground where the cutter might scalp, or cutting thru hidden obstacles such as stumps, rocks, etc., the clutch should slip some. Best way to find out if it's working is to loosen it until you can make it slip simply by engaging the PTO. Mark the plates/discs with a Sharpie. Make sure each piece is slipping against the other. Then retighten it according to the manual specifications. Understand the assembly. It's multiple fiber discs rubbing against steel plates. After sitting all Winter it's probably frozen. I suggest loosening it every Spring and readjusting. If you fail to maintain it and it freezes up, which it will, you then have a cutter with no safety release. Recipe for disaster. :(

That's good advice. The Land Pride (or any other new cutter) will come with an owner's manual, which will include instructions for adjusting the slip clutch. I do it every spring and, if the cutter sits out in the rain, I'll do it again during the season just to make sure the discs are not frozen up.