Rotary Rock and Stick Rake

/ Rotary Rock and Stick Rake #1  

BrokenTrack

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractors, Skidders, Bulldozers, Forestry Equipment
Well after pending $10.50 and about 8 hours of my life in fabrication, I ended up finishing my stick rake enough to do a trial run. It works!

After doing a little logging on me, the loggers trekked across one of my fields and left a mess in a corner with limbs everywhere, far too many to move by hand, so I decided to make a stick rake to clean up the mess rather then move each stick by hand. Unlike most stick rakes, mine is hoisted up and down by the three point hitch, is only 8 feet wide, and has screens instead of solid wheels. This will allow any dirt to sift through the screens while retaining the sticks and rocks. This design should work really good on tilled ground for windrowing rocks as just the rocks will be rolled out of the way. Should I want to level soil, then I can just u-bolt in plywood discs over the screens.

I had all the parts kicking around, I just needed to buy a few cut off wheels for my 4-1/2 inch grinder so that was where the $10.50 was spent.

I did a few more refinements today, but over all it works well. I just need to give it a coat of paint to tidy it up.

I made this one just as cheap as I could, but about the only refinement I can see so far is cutting off the welded on steel spuds, and having bolt on ones, that way I can use the solid steel ones for rocks and sticks, and then bolt on spring type tines so the implement can be used for hay or rocks and sticks.

Attachments

• DSCN0066.JPG
    DSCN0066.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 685
   / Rotary Rock and Stick Rake #2  
Nice work. I am not sure I would worry about painting it when you are going to use it for rocks and sticks.

/ Rotary Rock and Stick Rake #3  
Would you be able to post a video on it in action ? Would like to see it work

/ Rotary Rock and Stick Rake
Would you be able to post a video on it in action ? Would like to see it work

I can do that, but it might be awhile. The frost has yet to get out of the ground here, and where I need to clean up is the lowest part of the field so it might be a few weeks before I can get on the field with my tractor.

However if you want to see a larger version of a rock and stick rake, you can see this manufactured one, but it shows how it works. Mine sucks because it is smaller in width, and the tractor has to be driven over the limbs and rocks, but it was a lot easier to fabricate too.

If this one works out well, then I will know it would be worth making a larger version of a Rock and Root Rake to drag behind the John Deere 850.

/ Rotary Rock and Stick Rake #6  
Nice work OP!!!
The video was pretty cool.