Rotary Tiller J2030

/ Rotary Tiller J2030 #1  

jacob59

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS 2030, 9N, Ford 4600,
Wondering if anyone is pulling a Rotary Tiller behind a J-model. I'm debating on a 4' vs a 5' gear driven model. The 5' weighs about 175 lbs more. Cost is not that much more for the 5'. Not sure if the 2030 has the hp and weight to pull a 5". Ground is already broke up with a one bottom. It pulled that good.
Jack

/ Rotary Tiller J2030 #2  
I pull a 5' KK with my sub compact Massey, it is only 18. Something HP so it will give you an idea. I only run about 1600 rpm 540 PTO is 2500 so you can see that HP is not a problem. I can run it without the loader but turning is a change if you are turning up hill. The only problem is I get done so fast I don't have time to enjoy it.

/ Rotary Tiller J2030 #3  
I'll let you know in the next day or so. I bought a 5ft KK tiller for my 2023. I dont expect any problems.

/ Rotary Tiller J2030
I'll let you know in the next day or so. I bought a 5ft KK tiller for my 2023. I dont expect any problems.

Thanks Guys. Im looking at the KK too.
Jack

/ Rotary Tiller J2030 #5  
I just used the 5ft tiller with my 2023 to break up brand new ground for a garden. The ground has never been worked before. The tractor is enough for the 5ft, but only barely. On that hard ground, I had to make several passes with the first couple passes just barely low enough to till. There is no way I could just drop the tiller to the skids. I made about 5 passes and once the ground was broken up, I was able to drop the tiller all the way down. I still needed to go in a very slow crawling speed, but that just helped till up the ground even better. I would say that a 5ft tiller will be just fine, but definitely don't go any bigger. My neighbor has an established garden that I will be tilling for him, so I'll let you know how it does on ground that has already been worked. But I think you'll be just fine with the 5ft.

/ Rotary Tiller J2030
Thks. Yeah I broke up the ground already with a plow so it should be fine. Just wondering what the advantage would be having a 5' vs a 4' other than a few less passes.
Jack

/ Rotary Tiller J2030 #7  
The 5ft will cover your tire tracks. The 4ft may not and would have to be offset in order to cover one side tracks.

/ Rotary Tiller J2030
The 5ft will cover your tire tracks. The 4ft may not and would have to be offset in order to cover one side tracks.
Hey, Olympus I went with the 5" KK Tiller. Haven't set it up yet. Any issues with that. Did you have to make any modifications to the rotary pto shaft. It tells you that it has to be cut if its to long.
Thks Jack
hft

/ Rotary Tiller J2030 #9  
I had to take about 2 inches off the PTO shaft. I used an angle grinder which was a lot faster than a hacksaw. 2 inches off both the male and female ends of the shaft.

/ Rotary Tiller J2030 #10  
Just an update, I adjusted the skids on the tiller to their middle position. This raised the tines up from their deepest setting it was previously set on. This had a huge improving effect on power. This setting still tilled up about 4" deep and didn't seem to lug the engine at all.