RTV 1140cpx: I'm bit, help me accessorize!

/ RTV 1140cpx: I'm bit, help me accessorize! #1  

texasjohn

Tractor
Kubota Grand L5030HSTC
I'm seriously bit, planning on getting a Kubota RTV 1140cpx...it's the one which can be converted between two bench seats for 4 people and one seat with a longer dump bed.

I've looked at the newer version and see the following improvements/changes, all of which seem to be a move in the right direction.

1. 2 inch standard rear receiver hitch
  2. U joints now have grease zerks
  3. air intake has been raised above road dust level
  4. seat design now holds billfolds and stuff from falling
  5. seats a tad more comfortable, straight across
  6. MUCH improved HST braking...no throwing thru the windshield now although it does slow significantly, very similar to my L5030 HSTC.
I'm considering including the following features.... let me know your thoughts about how I should spend my money!!

1. camouflage body
  2. camouflage plastic top/canopy
  3. tinted poly windshield
  4. HD worksite tires
  5. front work lights
  6. rear work lights
  7. rotating spotlight
  8. front receiver hitch..I think the rear hitch is standard
Standard on the vehicle seems to be a front grill, hydraulic lift bed with quick connect hydraulic lines, speedometer, 4wd, heel lever for temporary locking rear differential and a switch for permanent locking of rear differential.

Questions I have...
is there a tinted windshield that is split and can be folded down (for a hunting situation)
anybody mounted a 12 volt fan on ROPS
would spray on bed liner reduce noise level appreciably, is it worth it , does it inhibit the short/long bed operation
are the HD worksite tires reasonable traction...I don't want big ATV lugs if I can avoid it.
what to put in tires to avoid continuous flat problems...slime or ?? mesquite thorns are the primary worry.

I'm going to use this for about the place chores, hunting, moving equipment/trailers, showing people around..... don't expect to be mudding around but inevitably one must go out under wet conditions.

OK.... let 'er rip!!!!

Last edited:
   / RTV 1140cpx: I'm bit, help me accessorize! #2  

kleetus

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota RTV 1140 Kubota Grand L4240
the camo, not sure I would get the camo version. from what the dealer told me its just bolted on plates over the orange.. atleast for the bed.

the top, i would definately get the metal one.. the plastic one is flimsy.

the windshield, I am making one my self. I cant justify 450 dollars for 45 dollars in parts. and no, im not exaggerating that.

instead of the work lights, I use a go -light that I bought for my boat. and they sell a magnetic base for it so it can be positioned any where. it has 2 modes, flood light and spot light.. spot light you can read a book at 800 yards with it.. and it has a wireless remote.

the tires, i have ATV ones on mine.. but have ridden in one with the Work ones, both seemed good. made it up some pretty slick steep hills with the work ones.

oh yeah i have an 2011 1140, about a month old

/ RTV 1140cpx: I'm bit, help me accessorize!
OP
texasjohn

texasjohn

Tractor
Kubota Grand L5030HSTC
kleetus, WELCOME to TBN!!! Thanks for your post.

Good to know you have a new model 1140 and can speak from experience.

I'll take a second look at the metal canopy...didn't focus on it too much so far.

Hmm.... go light...magnetic base..portable..remote...800 yard light...wide or spot....cool....I'll have to look that light up...sounds VERY interesting. I'm assuming you have verified that the alternator/electrical wires will support that light for extended use, maybe 30 minutes?? Does it plug into cigarette lighter/power plug? what Go Light model do you have/recommend? I looked at their site... lots of choices... and I couldn't tell which models have the dual flood light/spot light mode.

When I drove one with ATV tires, it seemed to be kinda "lumpy/bouncy" ride... not dramatic, just somewhat... that's why I was looking at the worksite tires...do you have vibration/bounce with your ATV tires, or is this a problem? Good to know that traction of worksite tires is goodl.

Last edited:
   / RTV 1140cpx: I'm bit, help me accessorize! #4  

kleetus

Bronze Member
Tractor
the go light does plug into the 12v accessory outlet.. i can even put it on the roof of my truck.. would be nice to spin it around when some one is tailgating.... :)

i have the RADIORAYョ MODEL 7900 (white), would have gotten black if i had know i was going to buy the kubota.. but white is fine. heck it will be dark anyways. no i havent verified anything about the alternator or electrical wiring.. I just assume it would run well.. ive had it on my boat for atleast an hour or more at a time. and never had a problem.

as far as the bumpy ride.. i havent noticed it at all but my ranch has no paved roads at all so its all gravel and dirt so that might account for that. i think the only advantage you would get with the atv tires is the better self cleaning in really muddy conditions.. and maybe some of the cross country stuff.

OP
texasjohn

texasjohn

Tractor
Kubota Grand L5030HSTC
OK.... currently looking at Go Light

RADIORAYョ
MODEL 7951 (black) with Programmable Wireless Remote
Package Includes: Programmable Wireless Remote Suction Cup & Magnetic Mount Shoe 15' Cord with Cigarette Plug for 12v DC

/ RTV 1140cpx: I'm bit, help me accessorize! #6  

Gary Fowler

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010
We have 12 of the RTV 1100 all with HDWS tires and they get stuck in the dry sand here all the time. A few turns and they are high centered and have to be pulled out. We have 2 of the 900 with ATV tires and they go thru it all without getting stuck. As for mesquite thorn, you might should look at foam filling the tires or put in lots of slime. I have never used slime in anything other than lawnmower tires but some folks here on TBN have used it in the RTV tires with success. This is how mine look. Enough tread to pull thru mud but not too agressive that they feel like running down a railroad track.

Attachments

• atv 010.JPG
    atv 010.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 318
  • atv 001.JPG
    atv 001.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 437
   / RTV 1140cpx: I'm bit, help me accessorize! #7  

kleetus

Bronze Member
Tractor
dam you have 12.. that's bad ***.. drive a different one every day.. atleast for 2 weeks

OP
texasjohn

texasjohn

Tractor
Kubota Grand L5030HSTC
Gary, think you qualify as an expert, given you have 14 RTV's, 12 of which get stuck too easily and two which don't!!! I think I'll benefit from your experience and go with the ATV tires.... hmm.... wonder why they are called ATV tires...I'll have to research that:D

Also, agree with slime or something similar.... there seem to be several such products on the market

1. slime
  2. multi-seal
  3. ultraseal
Slime is cheaper, particularly at TSC, and one uses quite a bit for an ATV tire, but more important than cost is what works and doesn't leave you flat footed:thumbsup: Am trying to determine which to use at present.

/ RTV 1140cpx: I'm bit, help me accessorize! #9  

Gary Fowler

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010
Actually I only own one, a 900 RTV. Those 14 are used on a jobsite that I work on here in Nigeria. All were imported from Houston Texas. That is one of the reasons that I bought one for myself. THey are all 2007 model and have been used and abused here since 2008 with all kinds of drivers and I dont know of any major malfunctions. These all have the pressure release button on them and shift easily. They will skid the tires if you back off the go pedal.
Can anyone list the changes in the 2010 and 2011 models. My office mate is thinking of buying a 2010 but might wait on the 2011 model if it has significant changes.

/ RTV 1140cpx: I'm bit, help me accessorize! #10  

DIXIEDOG

Platinum Member
Tractor
International 2544 / Gator 825i/L2501/General
I have a RTV 500 not 1140 but can offer the following info that should pertain to the 1140 as well.

I purchased the camo model as my buggy is used for coyote hunting, orange is not what you want to try to hide in the woods. I like the camo as it doesn't show scratches and is non reflective. It has stayed looking great, at it's one year anniversary it looks like a new machine.:thumbsup:

The RTV tires are adequate for some surfaces, mine had an issue with deep snow 1'+ was too much, with studded diamond chains that problem was corrected easily. There are multiple types of mud....soft goey mud the HD tires and you are going to get stuck quickly. If the mud has a bit of a base to it like in most areas in the Northeast you'll be all set with the HD worksite tires. On rocks, pavement, and hard packed gravel they are tough to beat they have a civilized ride that is tough to find in an ATV tire.

I also have the Kubota plastic canopy. It was well worth the investment for me, the canopy is at least 1/4" thick and I've had no issues with it's rigidity or durability on the 500....even given the extended length of the 1140 I don't for see and issues with rigidity it is heavily built.

I didn't notice this on your list but a winch is a handy tool to add on to your RTV....you can use it for many things for work or play. It's on my short list of must haves, you may want to consider adding one in there.

Good luck with your new buggy.:thumbsup: