RTV 500 - Tire Selection for Plowing?

/ RTV 500 - Tire Selection for Plowing? #1  

ScipioUSA

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 20 Industrial, Ghosts of Farmalls Past
Good evening everyone.

New to TBN, but not other forums. Used to have a pile of Farmalls and was over on YTmag, but that was a long time ago...

Anyway, the wife and I are looking for something to speed the plowing of our driveway, and had picked up a Honda Pioneer 700 locally. But its too much machine for what we want, and it tears up the yard. We previously had an old utility golf cart, and that was just right for what we needed, but it wouldnt plow.

So, we are looking at an RTV 500. Not cheap, but is a good size compared to the cart, and should last forever. I dont have a lot of hills, and wont be going too crazy with it offroad, so Im wondering what the better tire choice is, the ATV or the worksite. Most use will be around the property hauling various things, and plowing in the winter. Any advantage one way or another?

Would consider getting chains if needed, if that makes a difference.

Also considering ordering with the front brush guard and the kubota plow, but would go aftermarket for some LED worklights to mount on the roof.

Appreciate any insights that can be offered.

Thanks!

/ RTV 500 - Tire Selection for Plowing? #2  
I went a different route and switch to tracks for the winter. But, I also pull an ice shack around the lake in the winter as well. Because of the tracks, I went third party and bought a plow from MotoAlliance, Denali model with the DENALI UTV Snow Plow Blade Extended Pushtubes and MA11770 UTV Plow Mount - 2 inch Receiver . Very good quality UTV plow, IMHO. I like the plow as is connects very simply via the 2" receiver in the front. It also has a winch plate to mount a self-contained winch and not on the Kubota if you don't want it permanently on your UTV. As you can see in the pictures I am using the mounted Warn winch. This year however, I am thinking about adding add a winch to the plow's push tubes (plate) and use that winch for plowing only, while leaving the Warn winch for my other jobs. I learned the the plow is very hard on the cable, and I'm not sure I want a nylon rope for winter use with the Warn winch. I worried about moisture, water, freezing it solid. I don't know if that's a valid concern or not. Do you have any experiences with that?

I've also modified my lighting since photo's and moved the two front halogen lights to the back, and replaced with an LED Nilight 39" light bar across the front, absolutely love the lighting.

IMG_1271.jpgIMG_1270.jpgIMG_1269.jpgIMG_1268.jpg

/ RTV 500 - Tire Selection for Plowing? #3  
RTV 500 tires? Definitely go with the worksite tires. They offer plenty of dig and wear like iron. If you were climbing around soft ground in a woods or mud, then the atv ones. The local retirement center has a rtv500 with a plow and they have yet to break it.

/ RTV 500 - Tire Selection for Plowing?
I went a different route and switch to tracks for the winter. But, I also pull an ice shack around the lake in the winter as well. Because of the tracks, I went third party and bought a plow from MotoAlliance, Denali model with the DENALI UTV Snow Plow Blade Extended Pushtubes and MA11770 UTV Plow Mount - 2 inch Receiver . Very good quality UTV plow, IMHO. I like the plow as is connects very simply via the 2" receiver in the front. It also has a winch plate to mount a self-contained winch and not on the Kubota if you don't want it permanently on your UTV. As you can see in the pictures I am using the mounted Warn winch. This year however, I am thinking about adding add a winch to the plow's push tubes (plate) and use that winch for plowing only, while leaving the Warn winch for my other jobs. I learned the the plow is very hard on the cable, and I'm not sure I want a nylon rope for winter use with the Warn winch. I worried about moisture, water, freezing it solid. I don't know if that's a valid concern or not. Do you have any experiences with that?

I've also modified my lighting since photo's and moved the two front halogen lights to the back, and replaced with an LED Nilight 39" light bar across the front, absolutely love the lighting.

Thanks for the reply. Tracks are definitely overkill for me, but I would consider tire chains. No experience with the synthetic rope freezing, but I do know its hard on a steel winch cable. What I have seen online and read is that some guys take part of an old ratchet strap and use that in their winch for plowing. It bends much better, and since you only need to go a few feet with it, it doesnt tend to bind up or birdnest on your winch drum. If you were going to install a dedicated winch on your plow push tubes, that might be just the ticket.

RTV 500 tires? Definitely go with the worksite tires. They offer plenty of dig and wear like iron. If you were climbing around soft ground in a woods or mud, then the atv ones. The local retirement center has a rtv500 with a plow and they have yet to break it.

Thank you very much! I was leaning that way myself to just eat the $200 now, since they seem like they will be more in line with my needs. Im not going through a ton of mud (or planning to) or woodlots, and I can always chain up I suppose if its that big of an issue. I really wanted to make sure they wouldnt struggle plowing my unpaved, but flat driveway.

Does the local center have the Kubota branded plow?

/ RTV 500 - Tire Selection for Plowing? #5  
I think the Kubota plow is 350 lbs including the carrier. Are the front springs on the RTV500 up to the task? I do think that some of the aftermarket plow setups are lighter.

/ RTV 500 - Tire Selection for Plowing? #6  
Thanks for the reply. Tracks are definitely overkill for me, but I would consider tire chains. No experience with the synthetic rope freezing, but I do know its hard on a steel winch cable. What I have seen online and read is that some guys take part of an old ratchet strap and use that in their winch for plowing. It bends much better, and since you only need to go a few feet with it, it doesnt tend to bind up or birdnest on your winch drum. If you were going to install a dedicated winch on your plow push tubes, that might be just the ticket.

Thank you very much! I was leaning that way myself to just eat the $200 now, since they seem like they will be more in line with my needs. Im not going through a ton of mud (or planning to) or woodlots, and I can always chain up I suppose if its that big of an issue. I really wanted to make sure they wouldnt struggle plowing my unpaved, but flat driveway.

Does the local center have the Kubota branded plow?

Yes, they do have the OEM front plow. They have a large grounds to take care of so the guy uses it year round.

/ RTV 500 - Tire Selection for Plowing?
I think the Kubota plow is 350 lbs including the carrier. Are the front springs on the RTV500 up to the task? I do think that some of the aftermarket plow setups are lighter.

I see that Kubota sells a heavy duty shock set. Probably to go with the plow package. Since I'll only be using it in my small driveway at this point, I'm not too worried about stressing the front suspension. It's easy enough to take off that I will detach it if driving without plowing.

Yes, they do have the OEM front plow. They have a large grounds to take care of so the guy uses it year round.

Good to know it can take the abuse. It's not a cheap investment, that's for sure!

/ RTV 500 - Tire Selection for Plowing? #8  
Our RTV 500 plows all winter long with the stock "V" style tires, 3500 lb warn winch which we put 12 ft of winch rope on for the winter and a 64 inch KFI plow. Other than putting four concrete blocks in the bed for weight the unit is un altered. Word of warning though if you get a lot of snow; start out with your swath as wide as you can make it or you will have a narrow driveway by spring. It does a great job and we are pleased but it is not up to pushing frozen banks back if the driveway narrows, you will need a neighbor with a big tractor or solid blower if you get to that point

/ RTV 500 - Tire Selection for Plowing? #9  
I had an RTV 500 that I used mainly for plowing. Had the ATV tires and it did great. I bought the plow new with the machine and the upgraded front struts were part of the deal.

/ RTV 500 - Tire Selection for Plowing? #10  
First, growing up in GA and now living in TN, hard to imagine how much more expensive rural living is in the snow belt! Second, sorry to hijack this thread, but can anyone tell me how to adjust he hand brake on an RTV 500? I just can't find anything online and I don't see an easy to get to adjustment.