Rubbermaid Stock Tank Repair

/ Rubbermaid Stock Tank Repair #1  

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
We have a plastic/fiberglass rubbermaid stock tank that has a crack in it. They are $100 new now! So I want to try to repair rather than replace if I can do so economically.

One method I have seen is to basically drill holes around the crack and reinforce with wire. Then coat with JB Weld.

The other way is to use a torch to heat it up and basically melt it back together.

I figure folks here would have a better ideal of how to do it than some random youtube video.

Why wouldn't silicone caulk work? Flex seal? I mean it repairs boats.....

Thanks for any tips.

/ Rubbermaid Stock Tank Repair #2  
If it's truly a fiberglass tank, then get a fiberglass repair kit, and they range from $15 to $38 on Amazon and include both a fiber cloth and the resin for making such repairs. You should drill only two holes, at both ends of the crack to terminate any further propagation of the crack. Then apply the fiberglass and resin according to instructions in the repair kit. The $17 kit mostly good for cracks up to 8" long. The longer the Crack, the more kit you will need.

For me, silicon caulk and Flex Seal provide no strength, and that crack will just continue to increase in size.

/ Rubbermaid Stock Tank Repair #3  
I just repaired one...liquid nails inside, liquid nails outside, let set for 24 hrs, filled with water.

I could see drilling holes, if I find anther crack I'll have to add that to my system.

/ Rubbermaid Stock Tank Repair
If it's truly a fiberglass tank, then get a fiberglass repair kit, and they range from $15 to $38 on Amazon and include both a fiber cloth and the resin for making such repairs. You should drill only two holes, at both ends of the crack to terminate any further propagation of the crack. Then apply the fiberglass and resin according to instructions in the repair kit. The $17 kit mostly good for cracks up to 8" long. The longer the Crack, the more kit you will need.

For me, silicon caulk and Flex Seal provide no strength, and that crack will just continue to increase in size.
looks like it is actually polyethelyne. So do not think the fiberglass repair will work.

/ Rubbermaid Stock Tank Repair #5  
A tank heater had melted through a used tank I got. I cut a couple pieces of heavy plastic placing one inside the hole and one outside. I added RTV between each patch and the tank. I finished by drilling and adding bolts, nuts, and washers as I deemed necessary. Fifteen years later it still doesn't leak. It's not pretty but it does the jobl

/ Rubbermaid Stock Tank Repair #6  
The tanks are HDPE, fiber reinforced. I love them. I have used a plastic welder on it, (preheat is vital) but it wasn't a great fix as the Rubbermaid tanks are fiber reinforced, and when they crack, you have a weak point. With cows and horses, I didn't find anything that held up to bumps and itches from livestock. I have tried melting stainless mesh into cracks on other HDPE tanks that were less stressed and it held, but only with a full thickness of extra plastic out 1.5-2" from the crack.

All the best,

Peter

/ Rubbermaid Stock Tank Repair #7  
HDPE is a special animal that does not like to be glued. There is suppose to be a special 2 part epoxy that "claims" will work on it but I can't say if it does or does not. Liquid nails is simply another epoxy and not special.

/ Rubbermaid Stock Tank Repair #8  
I'd try two layers of Pella window sill tape on each side. I did a quick gutter repair using two layers of Pella tape 15 years ago, it's still leak free. I also have a friend who taped up a crack in her fiberglass bath tub at her camp 10 years ago with the same tape, same results.

/ Rubbermaid Stock Tank Repair #9  
Guess it depends on the crack. I have repaired many things (not a stock tank)with this stuff. It holds up pretty darn well !

1652324124563.png