Ruger Mini 14

/ Ruger Mini 14 #1  

sld

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1210 / Ford 1710
I have been getting the itch to get a Mini 14. I would use it mainly for a varmint gun and just general fun and target shooting.

I have always liked wood stocks and blued steel. Synthetic is nice but I'm leaning towards wood.

Any of the resident gun experts have any pointers for me? (my expertise is in shotguns!)

Regardless of the model you get, and I am talking new, are all of the Ruger magazines interchangeable? Even up to the 30 rounder?

Looking at new one of the versions of the Ranch rifle.

/ Ruger Mini 14
I read about that and is the main reason i am looking to buy new.

/ Ruger Mini 14 #4  
Family member got a new Ranch rifle. It is nice. They have not shot it much yet though.

I always liked the Mini-14. I had one 30 years ago; it shot really well. Scoped a 1" group at 100 yards was easy. Cut smaller groups reloading with some 52gr Hornady JHP. I sold it to get something else; wish I would have kept it.

Long ago I thought it would be fun to get a HBAR version like this company will do...
Ruger Mini 14 30 Rifles Barrel Conversions New Rifle Packages Accuracy Systems

/ Ruger Mini 14 #5  
It's likely my next gun. Already have been stocking up on 5.56.

For me it's the stainless one with synthetic stocks and peep sights. Two twenty round magazines. Cool. But they seem to be pretty hard to find.

/ Ruger Mini 14 #6  
Generally a good Rifle.

The Mini14 is not as accurate as the AR15 platform.
Also, the Mini14 magazines are a bit quirky to remove and insert.
The forward hole on the mag, must align with the pin as you slightly rotate the magazine into place. It's more like an AK than a AR.

I'd prefer an AR15 over the Mini14 for most purposes.
BUT. . . . The Mini14 is a great rifle.

/ Ruger Mini 14 #8  
I've owned Mini-14s since they first came out, bought the first one that came into this county and I've had three different ones since that one. My initial reason for getting one was that I really liked the classic bolt and charging handle, reminded me so much of the M-14 (whodda thunk dat?), but they do shoot reasonably well, aren't picky about ammo and they always go boom when you pull the trigger, very tolerant of dirt and dust.
I like the wooden stocks too, but the current model is stainless with a Hogue over molded synthetic stock. I really like the feel of the that stock and like the rest of the rifle, it's very tolerant of bumps and dings. For me, as an 'around the farm' rifle, it's perfect. The only problem I have with it is finding all the brass after I've shot it!

Fun to shoot, great looking rifle, you'll love it when you get it.

/ Ruger Mini 14 #9  
Had one for a while now maple stock SS great varmint rifle have 3 x 9 scope mounted on this one fun to shoot

/ Ruger Mini 14 #10  
"are all of the Ruger magazines interchangeable? Even up to the 30 rounder?"

Yes, and this goes for all mini's to date, all mags are interchangeable. I have one older pencil barrel & a newer Ranch, love them both. The wood stocks are all Birch, most are pretty boring, but if you hunt around you can find some that are quite beautiful. After shooting them for years I find the mag release on my AR's awkward, so it's all what you get used to.

I highly recommend a trigger job on any Mini...the factory one is heavy and creepy. For $35 plus shipping you can send your whole trigger group to Brimstone and he will do an excellent job using your oem parts. I don't think there is a better deal out there(btw he also does 10/22 & AR triggers:
Ruger Mini Trigger Work

Once you shoot one with a clean crisp trigger just under 4lbs you will never go back to a crappy one.

Here is my old pencil barrel Mini...I changed a few things & the AccuStrut made if very accurate:
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Then I added an Aimpoint PRO:
AimpointPRO007.jpg

Last edited: