RZT SX 46 KH PTO problems - direct wire PTO

/ RZT SX 46 KH PTO problems - direct wire PTO #1  

nh15201

Starts up like a champ and runs strong with 117 hours - purchased new in 2018. A few months ago we were mowing along and deck stopped - tractor running fine. Stopped, re-started, engaged mower deck and it ran for 20' and deck shut off again. We thought a defective PTO switch - so replaced the switch - same issues with deck starting and then stopping and would not re-engage. Tractor will not start if PTO switch is pulled up to the run position so we are thinking it is not the PTO switch.

Replaced PTO clutch with overseas replacement - new clutch install went easy, traced wiring back to PTO switch / ignition module with no issues. Intermittent power getting to PTO switch because there are times when the deck will start and run for a few minutes and then stop and not restart. We thought we might have a bad relay - but could not find any ignition relays anywhere on this unit Model No: 17RRCBYN010. 20 amp battery fuse not blown and intact.

We have narrowed it down by this process of elimination to the ignition module 925-06872A which dealer sells for $200. This particular module is the red push button, cheaply made electronic ignition module used on the lower line Cub Cadet mowers. I spoke to 2 Cub Cadet dealers who both offered that they had issues with these push button modules due to them getting wet and not working and / or the internal reverse switch cut out giving problems. The tractor starts fine - we are not inclined to spend another $200.00 to replace this chintzy module just to engage the mowing deck.

Has anyone ever disconnected the PTO switch from the harness and just used the PTO switch to power the PTO clutch direct from the battery with a fused link?

I realize that this bypasses the safety interlocks that make our modern mowers so safe and useful. I don't want this thread to get into another nanny lesson either. My brother and I are the only people who use this mower and it will not be sold to anyone (just junked).

/ RZT SX 46 KH PTO problems - direct wire PTO #2  
Its up to you but I would wire it direct. For added safety you could add in a seat switch.

/ RZT SX 46 KH PTO problems - direct wire PTO
I would like to try wiring the clutch direct using 2 terminals from the original PTO switch so it still looks the same. This is my dad's tractor and he is no longer mowing due to his age - so my brother and I have very willingly taken over the house and yard maintenance to allow my mother to still live there and be comfortable. I get the safety features, but we aren't going to be held hostage to some cheap Chinese made gizmo that costs $200 to replace.

I'll post back.

We jumped a hot wire off the voltage regulator, to a 20 amp inline fuse, to one spade on the existing PTO switch. Split that power wire with the other PTO switch spade and then direct to the clutch. Grounded the clutch on the other terminal to the ground on the engine block and we were in business. Mowed for over 2 hours - never blew the 20 amp fuse, drained the battery or vibrated the clutch leads off in any way. Best of all it looks like it is still factory since we reused the PTO switch and ran the new wires in the existing loom covers. No need to worry about the reverse lockout either. We left the brake switch but also got rid of the seat switch by unplugging the connector, pulling out the little bus bar clip and left it disconnected. No need to buy the replacement module - tractor starts fine and mows great. Before and after the stator is putting at least 13.5 - 14 volts to the battery as well. Please leave off the nanny comments.