RZT50; ran over fabric; stalled; won't crank

/ RZT50; ran over fabric; stalled; won't crank #1  

Poozie

Tractor
Cub Cadet RZT50
Pretty simple story. I ran over garden weed fabric which wrapped around the blades and stalled motor. I turned it all off, and unwound the fabric. When I sat back down with all kill switch points in place (parking brake, handles, seat, PTO off), I only got lights when turned on ignition. No cranking. Silence. The PTO clutch clicks when I engage it, so it's getting power. Nothing appears yanked, ripped, disconnected, out of whack, or out of line. What could have been jarred or ruined when the fabric brought things to a halt? I am completely baffled. HELP!

/ RZT50; ran over fabric; stalled; won't crank #2  
any fuses to check?

/ RZT50; ran over fabric; stalled; won't crank #3  
In the panic of stalling a hot engine I've been known to have the handles, brake, etc OOP on my RZT50 when trying to restart it. There are two switches on each handle and under the covers, one each for 'ok to start' and one for blades-off when backing up.

I've done the same with my newer Husky MZ61 and have kept a scrap of steel on it to jump-start across the solenoid terminals till I get the 'Simon Says' thing down again every mowing season. either side or the ign switch may have failed coincidentally.

IMO it must be something in the starting circuit if the PTO/blades will 'click' unless the battery is toast and/or isn't being recharged. (so where do we start?)

/ RZT50; ran over fabric; stalled; won't crank #4  
Last edited:
   / RZT50; ran over fabric; stalled; won't crank #5  
Can you turn the motor over by hand?

/ RZT50; ran over fabric; stalled; won't crank #6  
That's a new government mandated safety feature. To reset you'll need to go sit in the corner and reflect on your feelings for a while. 😝
I got nothing, especially if you don't hear the starter clicking.
It should be simple and I doubt you broke it. Tomorrow's Monday, check with the dealer. 👍

/ RZT50; ran over fabric; stalled; won't crank #7  
Recheck and recycle through all switches and levers and controls..... Sometime a lever looks to be in correct place but may be just a tiny bit off and not letting safety switch "connect"...

/ RZT50; ran over fabric; stalled; won't crank #9  
My guess is PTO kill switch related. Even though the PTO seems to engage . . Could the safety switch which disengages the starter when the PTO is engaged been damaged ?

/ RZT50; ran over fabric; stalled; won't crank #10  
This will not fix your issue, but will steer you check all of the safety switches and related wiring.
Jump from your battery to the battery terminal on your starter with an independent wire (jumper cables work well). If starter spins and engages, you know your issue is in the starter switch circuit. I would start with any switches and associated wiring under the mower. As the jerking and flopping of the deck puts that area in most risk.