SA 425 bush hog question

/ SA 425 bush hog question #1  

Red_Ranger

Tractor
Yanmar SA425
I have a new 425 and am a first time tractor owner. I’m looking at a Farm King 510 rotary cutter and just want to make sure the tractor can handle it. There doesn’t seem to be much info online for these cutters. Any help would be appreciated.

/ SA 425 bush hog question #2  
It's a little on the large side for your machine, but if you take it slow you ought to be fine. The general consensus is 5 PTO horsepower per foot of width, but that's for your best performance. Things like operating speed and terrain will help to change things up; flat ground, light brush, you ought to be good to go. Trying to climb a hill while running down small trees and cinder blocks? Not so much.

/ SA 425 bush hog question
It
It's a little on the large side for your machine, but if you take it slow you ought to be fine. The general consensus is 5 PTO horsepower per foot of width, but that's for your best performance. Things like operating speed and terrain will help to change things up; flat ground, light brush, you ought to be good to go. Trying to climb a hill while running down small trees and cinder blocks? Not so much.
It will mainly be used to mow a small ridge top where I plan on putting a food plot. Mostly broom sedge and other light weeds

/ SA 425 bush hog question #4  
If you want to be sure that it will, just get the 48-in version. As TT says it will probably do the five footer but you may have to go slower or not take a full pass if the vegetation is too heavy.

I have the same tractor so I'd be curious to hear what you do and how it does.

/ SA 425 bush hog question #5  
It will mainly be used to mow a small ridge top where I plan on putting a food plot. Mostly broom sedge and other light weeds

Now, I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction, but I'd lean towards the 5' myself. Everything I do, I do slow, and I don't mind making half-passes.

If you're in a hurry, stick to the 4'. 🤣

/ SA 425 bush hog question #6  
I would look at the 5' cutter. It offers the versatility of cutting light brush with a 5' swipe. It can also cut heavy brush, as mentioned you might use the entire width. Make sure it has either a slip clutch or use only sheer bolts on the shaft to prevent problems.

/ SA 425 bush hog question #8  
I see no reason why you cannot handle a light duty 5' cutter. Especially if the tractor is HST

/ SA 425 bush hog question #9  
I'm the odd type that suggests a heavier duty 4ft over a light duty 5ft brush cutter, but I'm using more for trails than fields and being able to maneuver more easily and tackle small pines with no probs is necessity

/ SA 425 bush hog question
If you want to be sure that it will, just get the 48-in version. As TT says it will probably do the five footer but you may have to go slower or not take a full pass if the vegetation is too heavy.

I have the same tractor so I'd be curious to hear what you do and how it does.
I got it and it mowed the ridge fine with no issues. As I said, it’s light weeds so nothing too thick but I feel like it would have handled a lot more than what I threw at it