SA424 add'l FEL height

/ SA424 add'l FEL height #1  

city_slicker

Tractor
Yanmar SA424
Just a quick question for the guys who have been there, know better and such.
I'm looking to increase the height and stability of my FEL on my 2015 SA424.
The hydraulic cylinders are cheap enough, and even just a foot higher is fine. It seems very doable, there is a bit of clearance between the cylinder and framework now, and most tractors in this class elevate much higher. Just putting out that idea. I'll try and post a photo of her from my phone, just joined tonight. Thanks in advance!

20210530_134245.jpg

Last edited:
   / SA424 add'l FEL height
In case anyone is curious with the slight mods already: 4in rear wheel aluminum spacers installed only on rear, Diode Dynamics SS3 offroad floods for nighttime work, and can rotate to the rear with ROPS up for the backhoe, front bumper adapted from a newer model, and magnetic John Deere pins for ROPS. They put up a fight to remove for a magnet, but hold tight.

/ SA424 add'l FEL height #3  
In case anyone is curious with the slight mods already: 4in rear wheel aluminum spacers installed only on rear, Diode Dynamics SS3 offroad floods for nighttime work, and can rotate to the rear with ROPS up for the backhoe, front bumper adapted from a newer model, and magnetic John Deere pins for ROPS. They put up a fight to remove for a magnet, but hold tight.

Would like to hear more on the wheel spacers?

/ SA424 add'l FEL height

Certainly! Here is where the spacers were purchased.

/ SA424 add'l FEL height #5  
Why are you looking to increase the FEL height?

i ask because, generally, the designed height is such that, if it were any higher, it would basically tip back onto the operator.

if you are trying to gain height to dump into something that has a high threshold (like a dump truck side), may be better to just build a solid ramp to drive up onto to empty the FEL.

to increase overall stability, you would want the lowest center of gravity possible. Filling the tires is always a smart move (my tires are foam filled).

/ SA424 add'l FEL height #6  
How much distance below grade to you require? Most FEL by design will pick the front tires off the ground with the bucket flat so that you can follow ground contours, dig a little below grade, etc. Longer cylinders will reduce this distance.

/ SA424 add'l FEL height
Why are you looking to increase the FEL height?

i ask because, generally, the designed height is such that, if it were any higher, it would basically tip back onto the operator.

if you are trying to gain height to dump into something that has a high threshold (like a dump truck side), may be better to just build a solid ramp to drive up onto to empty the FEL.

to increase overall stability, you would want the lowest center of gravity possible. Filling the tires is always a smart move (my tires are foam filled).
Thank you for your reply. I only ask because the lift height is actually so low, and comes nowhere near the height of a comparable Massey in same class. Occasionally I lift things from the hook of the bucket, but cannot rest them safely against my bumper when transporting. Regarding height safety above operator, even extending the lift a foot is still not overtop user.

I may not even pursue this, but I appreciate all the answers thus far.

/ SA424 add'l FEL height
How much distance below grade to you require? Most FEL by design will pick the front tires off the ground with the bucket flat so that you can follow ground contours, dig a little below grade, etc. Longer cylinders will reduce this distance.
Hi,
That is a very good point that I had not considered. I just visited magisterhyd.com and it seems you can order anything in any length, given you are familiar with OD and clearances and such. I would still require below grade digging, so if that truly is a limiting factor and cannot order exact length cylinders, I will not change them out.

/ SA424 add'l FEL height #9  
Thank you for your reply. I only ask because the lift height is actually so low, and comes nowhere near the height of a comparable Massey in same class. Occasionally I lift things from the hook of the bucket, but cannot rest them safely against my bumper when transporting. Regarding height safety above operator, even extending the lift a foot is still not overtop user.

I may not even pursue this, but I appreciate all the answers thus far.

I see

I have a MF1540. If I raise the FEL all of the way up, it almost feels like it's starting to tip backwards, that's why I was wondering. I just assumed all makes had about the same range.

maybe fabricate some sort of frame that attached to the bucket, but above it, that you could attach things too to raise higher.

Almost like attaching forks on the bucket, but extending up more than out. You would then raise the bucket, curl it down, attach it to whatever you want, then curl the bucket up.

edit: something like the frame in this picture - you would raise the bucket, curl it down, then attach whatever you are lifting to the frame circled in red, then uncurl and raise the bucket. Looks like that would give you another foot of height.

Attachments

• 1E6ED750-6F48-48F0-8F4B-D9A8C5326FDA.jpeg
    1E6ED750-6F48-48F0-8F4B-D9A8C5326FDA.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
   / SA424 add'l FEL height #10  
Need a straight on side view picture like this one showing the cylinder mounting points on your loader:

P6231742.JPG

You might be able to use a longer cylinder with new mounting points.