SAAMI Video - Better than MythBusters

/ SAAMI Video - Better than MythBusters #1  

jinman

Rest in Peace
Tractor
NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee
A friend sent me a very interesting link to a video made especially for firefighters by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturer's Institute.

SAAMI video for firefighters

I cannot tell you how many stories I've heard told as truth that this video debunks. Well meaning people sometimes embellish the truth with imagined outcomes. This video is good because it uses real firefighters and draws conclusions based on actual observed actions/reactions. I found it very enjoyable and informative. I hope you will too.

/ SAAMI Video - Better than MythBusters #2  
Excellent Video Jim... It truly does dispel a lot of myths. But man, all of that wonderful ammo gone up in smoke:shocked: Now I know where all of our ammo went!:eek::D

James K0UA

/ SAAMI Video - Better than MythBusters #3  
Great video, they sure spent a lot of money on ammo.

/ SAAMI Video - Better than MythBusters #4  
Good video.

What I did not see was them shooting a shotgun blast into the primer side of a box of bullets.

I wonder how many bullets would go off.

I also wonder if an automatic firearm would shoot all the rounds in a magazine in a fire.

/ SAAMI Video - Better than MythBusters #5  
Good video.

What I did not see was them shooting a shotgun blast into the primer side of a box of bullets.

I also wonder if an automatic firearm would shoot all the rounds in a magazine in a fire.

In my experience, No. The reason is most semi-auto/full Auto weapons need something to "push" against or they will not function. Take you semi-auto pistol and "limp wrist" it. Hold it in a limp manner and it will fire one shot (the one in the chamber) and will choke on the reload. The reason being the slide through the receiver, did not have a solid hand/arm to push against and the slide will "short stroke" or not go back all the way and it fails to pickup the next round from the feed lips of the mag.

James K0UA

/ SAAMI Video - Better than MythBusters #6  
Good video.

Even if they all went off, they won't "shoot" but just blow the primer and bullet out of the case like the ones in the fire.

The cartridges in the magazine of a semi-auto would most likely go off first. But if a cartridge in the chamber was heated, it would fire, then load the next from a magazine, then eventually when it got hot enough, it would fire...repeat. A full auto would be the same as nothing would be holding the trigger back.

Bruce

/ SAAMI Video - Better than MythBusters #7  
Even if they all went off, they won't "shoot" but just blow the primer and bullet out of the case like the ones in the fire.

The cartridges in the magazine of a semi-auto would most likely go off first. But if a cartridge in the chamber was heated, it would fire, then load the next from a magazine, then eventually when it got hot enough, it would fire...repeat. A full auto would be the same as nothing would be holding the trigger back.

Bruce

Naw.. it will never feed. Do you have an old "self stuffer" we can put to the test:D

/ SAAMI Video - Better than MythBusters #9  

At some point, the temperature of the chamber is going to be too hot to feed a round. The question is, will the temperature required to cook off the round, be high enough to jam the rifle in the chamber?

I was reading about a battle in Afghanistan where the soldiers were firing so fast the M16s were jamming. The amount of time one can fire an M16 on full auto was very short, something like three minutes, at which time the rifle was going to have some functional problems.

Later,
Dan

/ SAAMI Video - Better than MythBusters #10  

Not likely. The rounds in the magazine would cook off before the chambered round since the barrel mass would slow the heating. When the chambered round fires, the magazine would already be destroyed.