Saber saw blades

/ Saber saw blades #1  

stuckmotor

Tractor
AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs
Note:
Here's a link to the kind of saber saw I'm trying to find a blade for. It's not a Sawzall styled reciprocating saw even they seem to have taken over the term.

I used to be able to buy saber saw blades that would make "relatively" quick work of ripping 2X soft wood. The store where I bought them closed down ages ago and I haven't been able to find any to match them since. I need to rip approximately 20" and dread doing it with any blades I've tried in the last thirty years. If anyone has had experience with a fast ripping saber saw blade please tell me what brand and model it was.

Last edited:
   / Saber saw blades #3  
I'm with @bunyip. Diablo blades are great, and do make sure you get the right ones for your brand of saber saw. I am sure that you know this, but a saber saw, don't forget to check the blade angle (rake), which makes a huge difference in how well it cuts.

All the best,

Peter

/ Saber saw blades
Thanks bunyip and pony tug maybe I should have called said hand held jig saw. I didn't see any Diablo blades to fit my little saw. I'm going to Lowes now and will look for them there.
My saw is similar to the one in the shortened link below.

/ Saber saw blades #5  
You will find there are a few universal fittings, take a blade with you to match up, my Milwaukee uses a tool less change that is shared with other saws but no idea what it is called.

/ Saber saw blades #6  
Yes, those are the ones I meant. One of the adjustments is fore/aft on the blade angle, and I know from personal experience it makes a huge difference in both the speed and quality of the cut. One day, I couldn't believe how poorly a cut was going, went to change the blade, noticed that it was actually quite sharp, and realized that the blade was pointing toward the rear. Bringing the angle closer to vertical was great, and gave a much better cut.
Getting Good Jigsaw Cuts - Rockler

All the best,

Peter

/ Saber saw blades #7  
I think those are the same blades used on my bosch jigsaw

/ Saber saw blades #8  
do you mean T-shank jigsaw blades?

around here they are an off the self thing at any lowes, home depot, etc....

Milwaukee, Bosch, Dewalt and many others make them..... are these T-shank jigsaw blades what you are looking for?

/ Saber saw blades
You will find there are a few universal fittings, take a blade with you to match up, my Milwaukee uses a tool less change that is shared with other saws but no idea what it is called.
I found the bolts I needed at Tractor Supply and didn't stop at Lowes today. It's probably for the best. There were some good suggestions waiting when I got back.

There "is" an adjustment for the orbit of the blade that I'd forgotten about.
The blade is straight with a slot at the top that looks like a hole was drilled through it and cut across at the middle. If there's a way to make it accept t-shank blades I haven't found it.

The thing that made me stash the jig saw was the time I tried to cut a wheel out of "two thicknesses" of 2X softwood. I might try to rip this small project with the blade I have. I'll let.you know how I make out.

Thanks to all who've replied.
Stuck

/ Saber saw blades #10  
Yes, you have a Sabre saw , and for ripping it's not very common so most are manufactured with cross cut teeth and hi tooth count . This link mentions 6 TPI so they may have something that will rip better than a blade with 12 , 24 or 36 TPI even though the teeth may be cross cut or combination .