Oil & Fuel Safe Allowable Ratio of Power Service Anti-Gel

/ Safe Allowable Ratio of Power Service Anti-Gel #1  

MarkF48

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2216
I've been adding Power Service anti-gel to my fuel as roughly a rate of 16oz/25gal (0.64oz per 1 gal) of fuel, which is 2x the base recommended amount on the container and is the suggested amount to maximize the cetane boost. We had some temps around -3F early this morning, warming up to about 20F when I went to clear some snow. Tractor lost power and it was obvious in the filter bowl that the fuel had gelled. The fuel in the tank likely hadn't caught up to the 20F air temperature. When this has occurred before I soaked the filter in 911 and removed the gelling and I was good to go again. Not sure how thorough of a cleaning the filter is doing this and I'm going to put a new filter in today.

Is there a safe maximum allowable amount of Power Service that could be used without worry of causing problems with the motor or otherwise?

/ Safe Allowable Ratio of Power Service Anti-Gel #2  
I use Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement. it recommends 1oz to 3 gal. to protect to -40f. recommends 2x (2oz to 3 gal.) for max protection.
States it does not effect oxy catalyst or exhaust filters.

/ Safe Allowable Ratio of Power Service Anti-Gel #3  
I use Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement. it recommends 1oz to 3 gal. to protect to -40f. recommends 2x (2oz to 3 gal.) for max protection.
States it does not effect oxy catalyst or exhaust filters.

0.64 oz per gallon is (very nearly) 2 ounces to three gallons. I think that Mark is asking if it is safe to add more than that.

/ Safe Allowable Ratio of Power Service Anti-Gel #4  
I've been adding Power Service anti-gel to my fuel as roughly a rate of 16oz/25gal (0.64oz per 1 gal) of fuel, which is 2x the base recommended amount on the container and is the suggested amount to maximize the cetane boost. We had some temps around -3F early this morning, warming up to about 20F when I went to clear some snow. Tractor lost power and it was obvious in the filter bowl that the fuel had gelled. The fuel in the tank likely hadn't caught up to the 20F air temperature. When this has occurred before I soaked the filter in 911 and removed the gelling and I was good to go again. Not sure how thorough of a cleaning the filter is doing this and I'm going to put a new filter in today.

Is there a safe maximum allowable amount of Power Service that could be used without worry of causing problems with the motor or otherwise?

You can run 100% PS if you want. Just costs $$$. I used to fill the fuel filter canister up with 100% PS when I did a fuel filter change (on my VW TDI) before I bought myself a MityVac to prime the fuel filter canister.

/ Safe Allowable Ratio of Power Service Anti-Gel #5  
You may want to think about adding some kerosene to your fuel, around 1 gal kerosene to 4 gals of diesel.

/ Safe Allowable Ratio of Power Service Anti-Gel #6  
Like others have said, it's probably just cost. HOWEVER, if it works similar to a dewaxing aid, which we used in dewaxing of petroleum oil, more often does not help. For it, there seemed to be an optimum amount. It's interesting that the doses for dewaxing aid and diesel addition are about the same, at about 0.15%. Just convert the ounces (I hate this measurement) to cc and divide by the cc of diesel you're adding to, and figure it out.

Ralph