Saplings and brush around pond banks. Suggestions?

/ Saplings and brush around pond banks. Suggestions? #1  

deelowe

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota Mx5400
New tractor owner looking for some advice. I have an issue around my pond with some plant I can't recognize that likes to grow right on the water's edge. They can get quite large if left unchecked. I let them get a bit out of hand last summer and had to spend many hours with the chainsaw addressing the issue over the winter. Now there's small stumps and the freaking buggers are starting to come back again. I'd rather not have to back a bushhog up and down the bank over and over and larger the batwings seem like a bit much for my needs. Anyone have any suggestions? would a flail work well?

Note, my tractor doesn't have remotes or a 3rd function, but I've considered adding them, if needed.

Also, I'm aware of the laneshark, but I'm seriously wondering if it's worth the price. For most of my cutting needs, a bushhog would work very well. I only need something like this for the pond banks.

The pond is roughly 5 acres. Some of the bank edges have a ~1 - 2' drop to the water.

/ Saplings and brush around pond banks. Suggestions? #2  
New tractor owner looking for some advice. I have an issue around my pond with some plant I can't recognize that likes to grow right on the water's edge. They can get quite large if left unchecked. I let them get a bit out of hand last summer and had to spend many hours with the chainsaw addressing the issue over the winter. Now there's small stumps and the freaking buggers are starting to come back again. I'd rather not have to back a bushhog up and down the bank over and over and larger the batwings seem like a bit much for my needs. Anyone have any suggestions? would a flail work well?

Note, my tractor doesn't have remotes or a 3rd function, but I've considered adding them, if needed.

Also, I'm aware of the laneshark, but I'm seriously wondering if it's worth the price. For most of my cutting needs, a bushhog would work very well. I only need something like this for the pond banks.

The pond is roughly 5 acres. Some of the bank edges have a ~1 - 2' drop to the water.
Depending on how step the banks are, seems it would be a great spot for an offset flail.

I can't speak directly to the quality of this particular unit, but have a look and see what you think. They are less expensive than I thought when I started looking.

48-in 3-Point Offset Flail Ditch Bank Mower

Best,

ed

/ Saplings and brush around pond banks. Suggestions?
Depending on how step the banks are, seems it would be a great spot for an offset flail.

I can't speak directly to the quality of this particular unit, but have a look and see what you think. They are less expensive than I thought when I started looking.

48-in 3-Point Offset Flail Ditch Bank Mower

Best,

ed

That's what I thought. Any idea how well a flail does against sapling? Some of the ones I need to deal with are in the 2-3" range, I'd guess.

/ Saplings and brush around pond banks. Suggestions? #5  
That's what I thought. Any idea how well a flail does against sapling? Some of the ones I need to deal with are in the 2-3" range, I'd guess.
Good question, I am researching them for a ditch mower, only used shredders. There is a post here, something like let's talk flail mowers that has a ton of stuff.

The link is a fairly light duty unit, and I think they say it can stand three inch stuff. From seeing the road side guys mow, they do leave a cleaner trail than rotary.

Best,

ed

/ Saplings and brush around pond banks. Suggestions? #6  
It's old school but a sickle bar mower would be less weight hanging over pond
It sure would, I had crappy luck with them in anything but a hay field, maybe just me?

/ Saplings and brush around pond banks. Suggestions?
It's old school but a sickle bar mower would be less weight hanging over pond
Yeah, I was looking at those, the weight savings would be nice. I'm just concerned about these stupid tree things. I want to destroy them permanently before they over take my favorite fishing spots and I'm not sure the sicklebar is up to the task at hand.

/ Saplings and brush around pond banks. Suggestions? #8  
Yeah, I was looking at those, the weight savings would be nice. I'm just concerned about these stupid tree things. I want to destroy them permanently before they over take my favorite fishing spots and I'm not sure the sicklebar is up to the task at hand.
Yup, been a few years so defiantly get other opinions. Seems every year trying to get the last outside windrow mowed, I would hit some brush incursion then have to rivet on a new blade after I spent half an hour looking and not finding the one I knocked off:)

Best,

ed

/ Saplings and brush around pond banks. Suggestions? #9  
Notice how nicely they keep the shore groomed.

bronto.jpeg

Bruce