Satellite Radio

/ Satellite Radio #1  

Will_C

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560, Toro 52" and 60" ZTRs, Kubota RTV 900
I bought a new truck and it came with satellite radio. I enjoy listening to it, but I only drive the truck occasionally. I don't think I can justify the subscription just to have it in my truck.

I got thinking- if I could use it when I was using my tractor or mower, it would be worth it-that's about 150 hours a year. I currently have headphones that I listen to radio with.

Is there same sort of portable receiver that I can plug a headset in while I'm working? Can I use the same subscription on that unit that I have for my truck? I'm not much of tech head, so I would need a simple answer!

Thanks,
Will

/ Satellite Radio #2  
Two options that I can think of. They sell portable satellite radios, and you can buy an extra base for your tractor. Keep switching the radio from the truck to the tractor as necessary. Option 2 may be easier - download the XM / Sirius app for your phone. Make sure you have unlimited data on your phone. Note that not all channels are available on the app, but most are. I've had XM for 13+ years and would not have a car without it.

/ Satellite Radio #3  
Yes you can.
Also it's best to let subscription run out then the quickly offer you about 80% off to renew. Then repeat

/ Satellite Radio #4  
I had XM once, and will never have it again. It was next to impossible to cancel the service, they simply refused to honor my cancelation and kept billing for the service.

/ Satellite Radio #5  
There is an app that let's you listen on portsble devices. I would look into that.

/ Satellite Radio #6  
What garycw said. After it expires they will offer 6 mos for $ 25. You need to let it expire each time for a few weeks, they they will call and email with the 6 month offer again.

paul

/ Satellite Radio #7  
Our 2014 Ford Escape is equipped for the satellite radio and after about 16 months, I think they've finally given up on getting us to subscribe.:laughing: I think they tried every sales pitch and every discount you ever heard of, but the fact is that I almost never turn the radio on in a vehicle anymore, so it would be worthless to me. There were many years of my life during which I never the radio off in the car, so it might have been a good deal back then.

/ Satellite Radio #8  
You can get a portable device, it will be a separate subscription from the one in the truck. At one point there was a discount for multiple subscriptions on one account but I don't know if they do that any more. As others have said, you can get multiple bases and use the portable one in multiple places; tractor, truck, home. Like others have said, I cancel my subscription before the auto renew takes place, within 3 days I get an email offering 5 months for $20 if I return. I take that and repeat every 5 months. I travel 200 miles twice a week, go thru 4 radio markets and I get tired of chasing stations as I make the trip... I won't be without Sat radio as long as I have to make the trip. For less than $5/month it is worth it. It also works great for my 1200 mile trip twice a year from Maine to North Carolina... listen to the same station the whole trip.

/ Satellite Radio #9  
I love the comedy channels on XM. But like other's have said, they will keep dropping the price. Last offer I got was $25 for 6 months and the offer before that was $99 for the year.

/ Satellite Radio #10  
You can get a portable device, it will be a separate subscription from the one in the truck. At one point there was a discount for multiple subscriptions on one account but I don't know if they do that any more. As others have said, you can get multiple bases and use the portable one in multiple places; tractor, truck, home. Like others have said, I cancel my subscription before the auto renew takes place, within 3 days I get an email offering 5 months for $20 if I return. I take that and repeat every 5 months. I travel 200 miles twice a week, go thru 4 radio markets and I get tired of chasing stations as I make the trip... I won't be without Sat radio as long as I have to make the trip. For less than $5/month it is worth it. It also works great for my 1200 mile trip twice a year from Maine to North Carolina... listen to the same station the whole trip.

I looked up their website. If you subsribe with a satellite radio, you an add a streaming account for $4 per month. With the way they discount, you can probably get a much better deal by negotiating with a CSR by phone for both reciever and streaming.