Saw my first Tesla Model X SUV in the parking lot today.

/ Saw my first Tesla Model X SUV in the parking lot today. #11  
We've had a Tesla charging station at our nearby mall for several years now. We've seen ONE at it ONE time, ONCE. :laughing:

I think Edmunds towed an off road style teardrop camper with it and it got the equivalent of 15 mpg when you convert the cost of the electricity used to the cost of gas. They also had to unhook the trailer whenever they wanted to use one of the superchargers (which was quite often).

Use of those supercharger stations is free to any Tesla owner. I don't see how, with free electric available (anyplace there happens to be a supercharger station), it would tally out to 15MPG. I'm not shocked they're not commonly used. If you have the money to own a Tesla, "free electric" isn't a big deal...

/ Saw my first Tesla Model X SUV in the parking lot today. #12  
Unless you've upgraded the tires from stock, there's no way a RWD can garner enough traction to do 0-60 in less than 3.5. Pretty much anything that's under 3.5 seconds for 0 to 60MPH is AWD or setting on true drag slicks.

They did a feature on "Motor Week" on this car last week. It has 2 motors, one front and back, hence the 0 - 60 time. They gave it so-so ratings.

/ Saw my first Tesla Model X SUV in the parking lot today. #13  
   / Saw my first Tesla Model X SUV in the parking lot today. #14  
Ahh,, my comment was about ultrarunner stating the Tesla's 0-60 time was "almost cobra territory" (which is why I quoted him). I've never seen an AWD cobra and I've never seen a cobra come close to the 3.2 seconds of a Tesla and was stating that 3.5 seconds is pretty much the limit of any RWD car on DOT compliant tires. There is a vast difference in grip required between 3.5 second and 3.2 seconds on a 0-60 run.

/ Saw my first Tesla Model X SUV in the parking lot today.
The Cobra Super Snake was advertised as 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds..
1966 Shelby Cobra 427 Super Snake Specifications - Why did the 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 Super Snake sell for $5.5 million? | HowStuffWorks

1965 Shelby Cobra 427 – Road Test – Car and Driver

zero to 100 mph to zero in 13.8 seconds with street tires.

here is a modern Cobra zero to 60 in 3.5 seconds

213 Shelby GT5 Goes From To 6 Mph In 3.5 Seconds | car News @ Top Speed

and SCCA times with a Daytona Cobra at 3.9

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=14829.0;wap2

None are 4 wheel drive as the Tesla offering.

I've driven them all except the Daytona... my uncle raced in SCCA in the 60's and he let the kid take them for a drive... original 260, 289, 427 and his original GT40... quite a thrill to be sure... we still see him racing for a split second in the original Love Bug Disney movie where Herbie passes everything on the track... said it was in interesting day as they had to slow to let the bug pass them making the movie.

My younger brother bested me because my uncle let him drive the 289 to high school graduation breakfast... lucky dog!... I drove a 1931 Model A Vicky to mine.

/ Saw my first Tesla Model X SUV in the parking lot today. #16  
1965 Shelby Cobra 427 – Road Test – Car and Driver

zero to 100 mph to zero in 13.8 seconds with street tires.

here is a modern Cobra zero to 60 in 3.5 seconds

213 Shelby GT5 Goes From To 6 Mph In 3.5 Seconds | car News @ Top Speed

and SCCA times with a Daytona Cobra at 3.9

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=14829.0;wap2

None are 4 wheel drive as the Tesla offering.

Yep, and none are faster than the 3.5 seconds on 0-60 as I stated earlier either. Surely not near the 3.2 of the Tesla. Your original comment makes it sound as if you thought the Cobras had better than 3.2 seconds. Cobras are slow by comparison, especially unmodified factory specimens.

I've never raced any of them... only out for Sunday drives.

The Super Snake 427 was advertised at 3.2 seconds... having never put one through the paces I have to leave it that. Don't think anyone has said or claimed 50 year old technology of the Shelby line has not been improved upon... especially with all wheel drive and two motors of Tesla... I did say almost Cobra territory...

Here is a link about the cars I referenced.

AC Cobra takes international journey - SFGate

/ Saw my first Tesla Model X SUV in the parking lot today. #18  
What can I say... I've never raced any of them... only out for a Sunday drive.

The Super Snake 427 was advertised at 3.2 seconds... having never put one through the paces I have to leave it that.

Here is a link about the cars I referenced.

AC Cobra takes international journey - SFGate

I only know what some REALLY smart guys from one of the tire manufacturers (that I can't even remember which one) once said, that 3.5 seconds is pretty much the limit of any RWD vehicle on DOT compliant tires. To do more you need more traction, either through racing tire compounds or AWD.

Another thing is; a Cobra or similar requires a real driver to get anything better than tons of smoke and a 6 second slam into a wall. The Tesla is more of a robot that anyone can press a few buttons and launch with better consistency than a drag pro.

Here is link to the last surviving Super Snake...

Meet the world's scariest car - YouTube

What I remember from driving Cobras is how incredibly heavy the steering was when parking/low speed... no fun at all and lacking just about all creature comforts although one had a optional hardtop and slider windows...

/ Saw my first Tesla Model X SUV in the parking lot today. #20  
Use of those supercharger stations is free to any Tesla owner. I don't see how, with free electric available (anyplace there happens to be a supercharger station), it would tally out to 15MPG. I'm not shocked they're not commonly used. If you have the money to own a Tesla, "free electric" isn't a big deal...

Most owners wouldn't care, but if the tech ever filters down to the vehicles us poor folk buy, the comparisons will be made. I believe Toyota sold a few RAV4 SUVs with the Tesla powertrain, but I'm not sure if they could tow.