Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures!

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #281  
Mill is up and running!

And I performed my first acts of wood-butchery:

Attachments

• 093A5596-8193-4702-B514-8E022A644C41.jpeg
    093A5596-8193-4702-B514-8E022A644C41.jpeg
    432.3 KB · Views: 132
   / Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #282  
Yippee!!!
hugs, Brandi

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #283  
Save that for a Bobcat stretcher board.

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #284  
Save that for a Bobcat stretcher board.
There are bobcats in our area, but very few and far between.

more likely to cull Coyote than ‘cat!

I am going to take one of those boards and make a sign for the mill shed — “The Wood Butcher Shop” or “Wood Butchered Here” or somesuch . . .

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #285  
Today was a good day for making stickers!

Attachments

• E672C0EA-80A5-4BA0-8364-B137C6F5F84A.jpeg
    E672C0EA-80A5-4BA0-8364-B137C6F5F84A.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 78
   / Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures!
Today was a good day to do anything here... even for work, which is what I had to do.
Then again, everything seems better on a Friday!!!

Tonight I put a new blade on my mill, tomorrow I will finish sawing what I need before breaking the mill down so that I can move it to a better spot.

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #287  
I make stickers from 4 foot logs. I manually turn them as that short a log, the log turning claw would just push one end up. I like sawing them this way as I can just cut 1bys and slide them back 4 feet to stack, then I turn the log.

I find it way easier than trying to cut 12-16 foot stickers down with a chainsaw.

I guess it helps to have 20 foot logs in the pile, bucking down to two 8 footers and one 4 footer for the stickers.
hugs, Brandi

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #288  
"Generally" I also make my stickers out of "shorts", there's always some short "top logs" in a tree, and that's what I aim for.

IMG-2528-S.jpg

BUT, if I have a longer "low grade" log, at times I'll use one of those for stickers too.

SR

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #289  
I make stickers from 4 foot logs. I manually turn them as that short a log, the log turning claw would just push one end up. I like sawing them this way as I can just cut 1bys and slide them back 4 feet to stack, then I turn the log.

I find it way easier than trying to cut 12-16 foot stickers down with a chainsaw.

I guess it helps to have 20 foot logs in the pile, bucking down to two 8 footers and one 4 footer for the stickers.
hugs, Brandi
I am still waiting for my bed extension (on back order… since August. . .) so 13’ is the absolute max i can mill yet. I am still fine-tuning and learning, so stickers are good practice right now.

and I still have to make a landing zone for boards to dry, I will probably start with a couple pallets nailed into a platform, and cover the stack with roof tin for now.

This coming week, I will need to drop a couple more trees and drag them over to the mill.

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #290  
"Generally" I also make my stickers out of "shorts", there's always some short "top logs" in a tree, and that's what I aim for.

IMG-2528-S.jpg

BUT, if I have a longer "low grade" log, at times I'll use one of those for stickers too.

SR
at this moment, the only short logs I have are walnut, and that is no good for stickers (staining). Stickers are good practice for me at the moment, and I am using top growth logs for this.