Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures!

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #291  
Y’all make me want a mill.

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #292  
at this moment, the only short logs I have are walnut, and that is no good for stickers (staining).
Who says?? Only time I've ever seen any staining is from NOT using DRY stickers!

They need to be dry...

SR

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures!
at this moment, the only short logs I have are walnut, and that is no good for stickers (staining). Stickers are good practice for me at the moment, and I am using top growth logs for this.
According to the guys at a couple of hardwood mills I've toured, to prevent staining use stickers from the same species as the boards.
That may or may not be true yet these guys sell lumber for a living so I presume they know what they are talking about.

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #294  
Who says?? Only time I've ever seen any staining is from NOT using DRY stickers!

They need to be dry...

SR
Well, if the walnut stickers are dry, but the freshly-milled lumber is wet. . .

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #295  
I still have to make a landing zone for boards to dry, I will probably start with a couple pallets nailed into a platform, and cover the stack with roof tin for now.
I build a 2x frame and put sacrificial pallets underneath.
Lumber 20 Foot 2x6s.jpg

For shorter boards, I add pine or oak 4x4s underneath and shoe them with treated fence boards.
Lumber 8 Foot Pallet.jpg
I like the this design better, for when I get on concrete, I can move the smaller stacks around with a pallet jack.
hugs, Brandi

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #296  
I use wet pine stickers on pine all the time.
I have used dry pine stickers with Red oak slabs with no problems. Planers remove lots of sticker sins.
hugs, Brandi

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #298  
I use wet pine stickers on pine all the time.
I have used dry pine stickers with Red oak slabs with no problems. Planers remove lots of sticker sins.
hugs, Brandi
But I don’t own a planer . . . Yet. . .

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures!
But I don’t own a planer . . . Yet. . .
I know what you mean. I'm starting to think that sawmilling is like owning a tractor... the initial purchase is just a down payment.
Now I need to pour a slab and get a building built for the mill and have someplace to dry and store the lumber. Right now I'm just trying to clean up the odds and ends of logs I have lying around so that I can take the mill apart and put it into storage for the winter.

Today I sawed out a basswood log I bought a year ago. It mostly went into 2x31/2 inch lumber, hopefully it will work well as framing for my ice shack.

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #300  
I know what you mean. I'm starting to think that sawmilling is like owning a tractor... the initial purchase is just a down payment.
Now I need to pour a slab and get a building built for the mill and have someplace to dry and store the lumber. Right now I'm just trying to clean up the odds and ends of logs I have lying around so that I can take the mill apart and put it into storage for the winter.

Today I sawed out a basswood log I bought a year ago. It mostly went into 2x31/2 inch lumber, hopefully it will work well as framing for my ice shack.
Today I cut 8 boards 10’x10”x1”, three 10’x4”x1” boards, about 4 gallons of sawdust, and a bunch of offcut slabwood.

I am starting to think that sawmilling is like cleaning fish: you catch a 20-pound fish and you land up with about 11 pounds of fillet. . . or less if you are not good at filleting