Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures!

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures!
What'cha gonna cut?
Is eastern white??? as durable as wrc?
I hope to slice them up into 2x4s for a greenhouse. I picked up several 4x6 foot storefront windows years ago and am getting tired of looking at them.

I'm not sure if they are as rot resistant as the Western Red, but they should last as long as I need them to.

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #352  
Anyone have some good plans for a drying shed? I am starting to build one and have an idea in mind but I am open to seeing what other options folks have come up with.

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #353  
   / Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #354  
I need to mill the incense cedar trees I recently took down. I need the logs out of the way. And I want to start the drying process.

I'm not sure what dimension(s) to cut. I don't have a current project that needs cedar. Any suggestions of dimensions that are "general purpose" or usable downstream for several different things?

I was thinking of 4 quarter plain sawn boards-- then stack and dry them and figure out the rest later?

btw I may have two cedar species on my property. The small logs (12") were definitely yellow. But the big logs (26") are quite reddish-- more like traditional cedar you think of.

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures!
I need to mill the incense cedar trees I recently took down. I need the logs out of the way. And I want to start the drying process.

I'm not sure what dimension(s) to cut. I don't have a current project that needs cedar. Any suggestions of dimensions that are "general purpose" or usable downstream for several different things?

I was thinking of 4 quarter plain sawn boards-- then stack and dry them and figure out the rest later?

btw I may have two cedar species on my property. The small logs (12") were definitely yellow. But the big logs (26") are quite reddish-- more like traditional cedar you think of.
I would consider sawing them into cants, then stacking them someplace out of the weather where they can air dry.
When you find a use for them, resaw to whatever size you need.

It will be interesting to see what people say who actually know what they are doing. ;)

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #356  
   / Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #357  

I cut ERC down to 4/4 for window trim and such and cut the center at 8/4 or thicker for mantels and such.

ERC hardly shrinks at all and is pretty "dry". The sawdust is the driest I have spit out of my mouth and washed out of my eyes.
hugs, Brandi

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #358  
The sawdust is the driest I have spit out of my mouth and washed out of my eyes.
Thanks! Yes, I try to keep sawdust under control. But it's always a losing battle.

Saw a YouTube video recently. I swear the sawyer was stepping through 18" of sawdust alongside his mill. :)

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #359  
ERC hardly shrinks at all and is pretty "dry".
Have you ever tried to resaw ERC? I might need some thinner material next year. I was thinking of milling at 4/4 but doing resaw later. Not anxious to add to workload, but if I cut it thin now I can't put it back together. :)

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #360  
ERC??