SC2400 Seat Suspension

/ SC2400 Seat Suspension #1  

CaptFerd

Silver Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet SC2400
After a few years of getting beat to death on this tractor I ended up hurting my back pretty bad. I wish I had done it sooner, but finally added suspension to the seat to smooth the ride. Most of the threads I read there was a lot of welding and modifying to mount one of these gismos, unless your lucky enough to have a tractor they make one specifically for. I found an inexpensive fit for these tractors that can be put on in an hour with very little modifying and no extra brackets or welding.
The Seat suspension came from Seat Wharehouse Indianapolis, Ind. Its identified as UNIVERSAL SEAT SUSPENSION FOR MOST BRANDS ZTR ZERO TURN MOWERS DEERE,EXMARK #FD
Item# 151270600663
susp.JPG
Remove the one and only bracket from the seat and tractor (2 bolts and a cotter pin). In the picture you'll see were I cut the bracket in 2 places (This allows the inside parts to pivot). Then simply mount them to the bottom front of the suspension plate. The whole assembly then mounts back just like it came off. Slide it on the pins and put the cotter pin back.
DSC05100 - Copy.jpgDSC05099.jpg
The seat will mount perfectly. The only problem is the safety switch has to be replaced with one that doesn't protrude from the bottom. (very little clearance)
I moved the 2 rubber bumpers back were they would rest under the solid part of the assembly. Seat sets perfect level. You'll have to find some bolts and nuts to fit. The nuts have to be small enough for the seat track to be able to glide.
DSC05109.jpgDSC05110.jpg
Note: After you remove the bumpers from the original place you'll see that a wire was fastened in the same hole as the one on the right.... Don't re bolt it there as the pivot from the assembly will hit it when you hit a bump. Zip tie it elsewhere and leave those bolt holes empty. Also make sure that the pivot on the right front clears the rail of the bottom bracket there's very little clearance up there too. When this thing bounces it should be smooth. If you feel it hitting solid than its most likely the right front corner. Thats it. Pretty easy.
I hope you find this helpful and believe me when I tell you it makes a big difference with one of these installed. You'll set a little higher but you can cruise a bit faster and wake up the next day pain free.
DSC05098.jpgDSC05106.jpg

/ SC2400 Seat Suspension #2  
Great job, Thanks for the photos and write up.

/ SC2400 Seat Suspension #3  
Very good write up. How has this modification performed over the past year? Is there anything you would change?

Thanks,

/ SC2400 Seat Suspension
Very good write up. How has this modification performed over the past year? Is there anything you would change?

Thanks,

After a whole season this setup has performed flawlessly. It has made riding this tractor a whole new experience. I have thought about replacing those rubber bumpers with springs, just haven't found any yet. Just wondering if anyone else has done this and if they found a way to rig back the safety switch.

/ SC2400 Seat Suspension #5  
This is the same suspension Grasshopper offered on their mowers as an upgrade. They don't offer them anymore, only Grammer seats as an upgrade, so I added one of these to my recent GH. My original is 9 years old now, and has taken a beating. Once I installed the new suspension on my new mower, I realized my original on the old mower was about worn out. It still works, but is getting sloppy. They are definitely worth the money.
Note - they need to have some open space (3/4" - 1" ) below the suspension, between the rails, for the mechanics to get full motion. Many seats, Like CaptFerd's already have that space. Adjustable rails or simple 1x1" square tubing or strips of wood will work.

/ SC2400 Seat Suspension #6  
I finally got around to trying this on my SC2400 last weekend. I ordered the same seat suspension listed in the original post. I ended up putting 1 square tube between the seat & suspension so that I could still use the seat safety. It made a world of difference in the ride. Steering wheel & controls are still comfortable to reach. The 4WD lever is a little more difficult to reach. They should have come from the factory with a seat suspension.

21DB6206-F1B2-485E-90CA-B76F242DA60C.jpeg
7A99B751-AC23-4D15-B30A-32EFF70E9A89.jpeg
C0C9CE31-EC94-462E-AADD-448E5B206A56.jpeg
17678137-2B76-45C7-B352-56EFD6064510.jpeg

/ SC2400 Seat Suspension #7  
I finally got around to trying this on my SC2400 last weekend. I ordered the same seat suspension listed in the original post. I ended up putting 1 square tube between the seat & suspension so that I could still use the seat safety. It made a world of difference in the ride. Steering wheel & controls are still comfortable to reach. The 4WD lever is a little more difficult to reach. They should have come from the factory with a seat suspension.

View attachment 666529
View attachment 666530
View attachment 666532
View attachment 666531

Where did you get the seat? How much?

/ SC2400 Seat Suspension #9  
   / SC2400 Seat Suspension #10  
I just put this same suspension unit on my bad boy zt. it is a game changer. My back has been killing me after mowing 6 acres twice a week this yr. The rain has kept things growing like crazy..