School me on FEL hydraulics

/ School me on FEL hydraulics #1  

Blue Mule

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland Workmaster 40
Went from a 1999 New Holland TC29 with a Bush Hog FEL to this 2019 New Holland Workmaster 40 with New Holland 140TL FEL.

The old tractor FEL was very strong. Would pick the back end of the tractor up if I wasn't careful. It would never run out of lift power. The tractor would turn over first. I could never "run out of FEL" before I "ran out of tractor".

This new tractor FEL feels weak. FEL is rated 1,600 lbs. at the pin, but there's no way. It just sits there and strains trying to lift 1/2 of that weight. The bucket also doesn't have hardly any breakout force. Dug into the ground at the base of a small cedar tree yesterday and tried to curl the bucket to pop it up and the tractor just sat there like it wasn't happy at all with the job.

The dealership took this 140TL loader off of a new Workmaster 35 and put it onto the Workmaster 40 for me at time of purchase. Is it possible they didn't adjust a valve properly or something? Are there any adjustments I can make? Or is it normal to "run out of FEL" way before I "run out of tractor"?

/ School me on FEL hydraulics #2  
It is not uncommon for a loader valve pressure relief to be out of spec from the factory.

There should be a adjustable pressure relief valve on the loader valve. I recommend getting a pressure gauge and checking pressure and adjust to the rated pressure. If you are not comfortable checking pressure then ask your dealer to do it for you.

/ School me on FEL hydraulics #3  
I've only ever run out of front loader when buried in a pile of red clay dirt or when grappling an enormous tree trunk. That sounds bad on your end.

My loader will pick up the back end of my tractor with filled tires and a bb on the back too. Mx5200 w/LA1065.

/ School me on FEL hydraulics
I guess I need to figure out where the pressure valve is located on this model.

/ School me on FEL hydraulics #5  
The one for the loader, is located right at the loader valve, as K5 said, definitely get a pressure gauge first. Then work from whatever the gauge will say.

/ School me on FEL hydraulics #6  
Yup. Check pressure before anything else

/ School me on FEL hydraulics #7  
Pictures of your loader valve so someone can point out the relief valve on it. Usually be under a cap that screws off, similar to an acorn nut.

My father is a career heavy equipment mechanic so I will ask him if he has a pressure guage and go from there. Thanks guys.

I'm guessing this is it.

Attachments

• 20210531_102402.jpg
    20210531_102402.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 90
Now I am having a heck of a time finding the spec for this tractor. Anybody happen to know what it should be? Around 2,000 PSI maybe?