Screen & Trailer Sugestions

/ Screen & Trailer Sugestions #1  

BearLakeBota

Tractor
BX2200 (May 4)
My house sits on rocky, clay soil. I was thinking about building a 2x4 frame which will slope to one side. I then would cover the top with a mesh wire. Using my bx FEL I could take a bucket full and slowly dump over the mesh. As I thought more on this plan I thought that If I put a dump cart like a Agrifab 17 cu. ft. under the screen I then could fill the trailer with screened dirt, haul it to where I want, and dump it. Has anyone tried something like this? I realize this could be a slow process but getting rocks out of the soil so I can then mix mulch with it is a priority before I plant. Has anyone used the Agrifab trailer? what is your opinion?

/ Screen & Trailer Sugestions #2  
If the dirt was good and dry it might fall thru the screen,but I think you might have to shake the screen do to lumps in the dirt and rocks or use a rake...depends on the size of the screen hole.

/ Screen & Trailer Sugestions #3  
Now that I have an FEL, I'm thinking of doing the same thing, only I'll use expanded steel mesh and 2x2 steel instead of wire mesh and wood. I'm thinking kind of an A frame, with the mesh on one side and the other side open. I'll keep picking up and dumping the rough stuff and it will trickle down the screen. Any thing that doesn't make it through will get picked up and sent through again until it is just a pile of rocks and sticks, then it will be thrown on the fill pile. I'll be able to go to the open side with my FEL and pick up the screened stuff and take it to the screened pile. This is another one of those projects that I'll get to just as soon as I finish the other ones /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Screen & Trailer Sugestions #4  
Skip the trailer, simply scoop up the good dirt with your FEL & deliver it to your destination.

I agree that you'll want some kind of shaking or agitation on the screen. Got any kids you can arm with a garden rake?

Hazmat

/ Screen & Trailer Sugestions #5  
I don't remember where the thread is, but someone a while back described a frame-mounted sieve, which was tilted so that rocks rolled off, but the soil went through. I suspect some raking or sweeping would be needed to get all the soil to drop. A search or two should turn up the thread.

/ Screen & Trailer Sugestions #6  
charlie,
when we discussed the various grapplers/manufacturers, a while back, there was on site that had a grappler bucket, that had a rake like top and bottom to do just that function you are describing. in addition they have a solid insert that you can collect loose stuff also.

will look through my stuff and see if i can find the site asap.