SCUT . . . dump cart & trailer options that don't hurt your wallet.

/ SCUT . . . dump cart & trailer options that don't hurt your wallet. #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Greetings,

We like to think of our compact and subcompact tractors as big and mighty tools. But sometimes they are just downright convenient. And whether its in the back woods or field or yard - they benefit from some additional add-ons that help us carry and transport in those areas.

There are many trailers designed for highway and on-road uses to be pulled by cars and trucks and tractors. But this thread isn't about those. This topic is the carts and trailers that can be used on lawns, pathways, trails and in woods or ground conditions that benefit from tires that are more likely found on riding lawnmowers rather than wheelbarrows. These go by many names and descriptions - all designed to haul a variety of payloads that are often wet, dirty, moderately heavy or utility related.

So let's leave off the small metal 2.25 foot x 3.25 foot $100 trailers that are too small to be used by an atv, utv, or subcompact tractor and typically have wheelbarrow type tires. And I'm not talking about the dump trailers of 10 to 16 cubic yard capacity either.

This thread is more about the cart or trailer that typically can handle 500 lbs. up to 2000 lbs and not make a disaster of your lawn or trail.

I personally desired a cart/trailer that could be used by my riding lawn tractor but also could be used for heavier hauling with my sub compact tractor. A capacity between 1200 lbs. and 1500 lbs. was my target but I didn't want some heavy weight item that was hard to move around outside or in the garage. I didn't want unstable on hills and sidehills nor did I want an expensive cart/trailer. And I wanted dump trailer convenience in an easy method.
I looked at numerous 4 wheeled dump trailers of varied sizes and compared them with my local farm supply and big box store offerings for my current and most of my future needs.

I ended up getting the 2 wheel 1500 lb. capacity Polar Industries product shown below with the heavy plastic watertight box and steel frame.

It's a dump trailer but . . . No . . . this isn't a $ 6500 dump trailer. It's a nicely designed and built dump trailer for hauling 10 to 20 five gallon buckets of dirt or rock or cement or firewood or branches, grass clippings, or leaves/mulch/compost.

Some might say it is light in weight. . . and they would be correct if referring to strain to move it . . . it is lightweight - but it isn't light duty. And the tires and axle/frame handle up to 1500 pounds if needed and the unit has handled everything I've put in it including water, concrete, rock, wood and landscaping blocks and bricks and yard waste. But if you literally want to throw logs or drop large 100 lb rocks into it . . then this isn't the choice for you . . . its heavy duty but not indestructible. I've seen people throw firewood "at a trailer" or "drop" 100 lb log slices from 6 foot high into trailers - cracking 2 x 8 trailer decking. This isn't that use. But its not a toy either.

I have no rust or dents or cracks. Full full retail price on an HD 1500 like I have is $450 - but on sale you can find it at some locations for $350 or even less some times. In my purchase I also got upper optional expanded metal framed extensions for the sides and front that are quickly removable - which is great for hauling quantity of brush, leaves, or grass (that was a freebee on a special rebate sale which was another $95 thrown in.

I could have gotten the HD 1500 4 wheel tandem axle version for 650.00 plus tax on sale which uses the same extensions and tires and trailer tray instead. That would have been nice to have it totally free standing and horizontal standing without being attached to anything (could load fel buckets of rock or dirt into it conveniently) . . . . but I wasn't looking to spend $2000 or $1500 or $1000 or even $750 and I didn't want the added weight for moving it around physically. Now if I was going to be on really rough trails and in the woods often - then the 4 wheel tandem axle HD1500 would have been a very good choice.

The same product in a slightly shorter unit was the HD1200 models in single or tandem axle - each at a lower price than the HD1500 models - but again I wanted capacity in size and weight for the subcompact tractor or an atv/utv - as well as pulling by my lawn tractor - - - multiple uses by multiple equipment.

My point was - I was tired of too many light and heavy duty wheelbarrows - too many small pull behind carts that couldn't carry much or their tires that dug into the lawn. I wanted something that my lawn tractor could handle and then turn around and load heavy heavy items for my subcompact to pull and again - not an open trailer designed for the street and for lawn ruination LOL.

I'm repeating myself deliberately - because some want a brush hauling cart and some want a $2500 trail ride ATV trailer with independent suspension axles. My point is, post your responses about your choices based on your real needs - not the "bigger is always better" theme.

I got alot of capacity and flexibility for 350 bucks in my opinion plus the extensions for free and I put it together myself with a couple small modifications and adjustments to make it more durable and better performing than the instructions did.

And I have lots of slope and sidehill areas - and this cart/trailer keeps the weight low and the axle/wheels keep it wide LOL.
And the tires on it are almost as heavy duty as my front subcompact tractor tires.

Light yet strong. . . Big capacity yet inexpensive. Stable yet not unwieldy. Pretty great combination for my varied needs. . . And it's so easy to clean out because nothing sticks to it. . . Just let the rain or hose do I for you. It sat out all winter upside down - no problem in heavy snows. No rust or paint peeling and if I had an ATV/utv/subcompact tractor - it is a 4 season tool for Wisconsin weather hauling for dump or containing purposes.

my model size
Polar HD1500 trailer.jpg

Product Weight (LBS) 127
Load Capacity (Lbs.) 1500lbs
Load Size (Cubic Ft.) 22 Cubic Feet
Load Size Heaping (Cubic Ft.) 27 Cubic Feet
Note - with extensions can be 35+ cubic feet
Overall Dimensions 98" x 54" x 31"
Body Dimensions 72" x 40" x 18"
Tire Size 18 x 8.50

All the Polar cart models:

Polar Trailers | Heavy Duty Steel ATV + Four Wheeler Trailers

VIDEO of the HD1200 and HD1500

So how about the rest of you ? What do you have for carts and trailering for your subcompact tractor, lawn tractor, atv, or utv?

/ SCUT . . . dump cart & trailer options that don't hurt your wallet. #2  
I have a similar Polar Trailer, model 8262. It's the same as what AxleHub described, except I went with the tandem walking arm suspension. I have some rough terrain, and that suspension makes a BIG difference in that situation. It's still easy to roll it around by hand, though turning when maneuvering by hand takes a bit more effort than with the two-wheeled version. You can easily convert from the tandem walking arm to the two wheel version: just pop a retaining clip and pull off the walking arm yoke, remove one wheel from the yoke and put it back on the cart where the yoke was attached. I can make the conversion in a couple of minutes without rushing. (In fact, Polar sells a conversion kit to change the two wheel cart to the walking arm.)

The only problem I have is that the top speed is rated at 10 MPH. This is not a problem when driving in the woods or on rough terrain, but it's slow if you are on a smooth road. I smoked a bearing going less than 10 MPH with only 1000# in the trailer. To Polar's credit, they shipped me a replacement no questions asked.

It's a nice trailer for an ATV (if you can live with the speed limitation) or a SCUT. It's too small to be very useful behind my CUT (a 33HP NH TC33D).

Last edited:
   / SCUT . . . dump cart & trailer options that don't hurt your wallet.
One of the things that surprise me was that the tandem version wouldn't be longer than the 2 wheeled hd1500. I'm not thinking it because of more weigh load but because the tandem axle would offer better weight spread. And length is just an advantage for hauling. The HD1200 is a fair amount shorter and that excluded me from that option.

I certainly could see where any of these types of carts/trailers would not work with a bigger cut size frame like your 33 HP or maybe an L or m series in knots (something larger than the 25 HP sizings). Of course that also applies for lawns too. . So it fits for uses.

/ SCUT . . . dump cart & trailer options that don't hurt your wallet. #4  
Another trailer I considered when looking for something a bit heavier duty than the Polar for use behind my Tractor is the Woodland Mills T-Rex Trailer ($1600 + shipping) or their Woodsman Trailer ($1500 + shipping). Both have 2000# rated capacity, walking arm suspension, and are rated at 25 MPH when fully loaded (significantly faster than you'll want to go when off-road). They can be configured as a log trailer, with logging bunks, or as a dump trailer (dump bed is removable). Both have a hand crank winch used for dumping the bed (60˚ dump angle). The T-Rex has a pivoting boom which can be used to load logs or other items with the winch, however, due to the limitations of the boom, it can only dump a 650# load. The Woodsman loses the boom, but can dump the full 2000# load (you can use a tractor to load the trailer, or lock the dump trailer in a partially dumped position, use the tailgate as a ramp and winch logs into the dump bed.)

I seriously considered the Woodsman (I value the ability to dump the full 2000# load more than I need the boom to load it). Either of these would make a pretty good logging/dump trailer behind an ATV or SCUT (fully loaded it might be a bit much for some ATVs). It might be a good match for some people with a CUT. I ended up not getting it, since I'd like to find something that will handle 3 or 4000#.

DR Products sells the Versa Trailer (regularly $2400, often on sale for $1800 including shipping) basically a clone of an older version of the T-Rex. Down side: Has the same 650# dump limit as the T-Rex; max dump angle is only 35˚ (fine for dumping a load of firewood, might be a bit shallow for dumping soil). Upsides: Has an option to add a trailer hitch, so you can tow a log splitter or something behind the trailer (not possible on the Woodland Mills trailers due to how they dump); there is an option for an electric winch (runs off tow vehicle's power). NOTE: I've heard complaints about rust in the welds on a number of the Versa Trailers. I noticed it on an model returned to the factory by a customer (unused). Also a significant area of rust where the stem of the tongue passed through the adjustable sleeve which mounts the front screen (this was a galvanized part, so it appears the galvanizing leaves a bit to be desired). If you get one, look it over carefully.

Last edited:
   / SCUT . . . dump cart & trailer options that don't hurt your wallet. #5  
Somewhere out there I saw an ATV dump trailer that had electric brakes. I thought that was an interesting idea for someone towing with an ATV in hilly areas. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name off-hand.

/ SCUT . . . dump cart & trailer options that don't hurt your wallet. #6  
One of the things that surprise me was that the tandem version wouldn't be longer than the 2 wheeled hd1500. I'm not thinking it because of more weigh load but because the tandem axle would offer better weight spread. And length is just an advantage for hauling.

The Tandem axles is identical to the 2 wheel version, just has a yoke that attaches where the wheel of the 2 wheel version attaches.

I have noticed that ground pressure is very low: I can pull it fully loaded without much worry about rutting up my trails.

One thing that is nice about it is the balance. Even loaded to its limit, I can still easily dump it by hand (assuming the load is more-or less evenly distributed)

/ SCUT . . . dump cart & trailer options that don't hurt your wallet. #7  
I'm in to see what you guys come up with. I have a JD 18 steel cart that has been beat to heck and really has done more than it ever should but I need an upgrade. Issue is I don't want to spend a fortune, I can't believe the prices of some of these off road trailers.

/ SCUT . . . dump cart & trailer options that don't hurt your wallet. #8  
I'd love to find a dump trailer that is street legal (or could be made so with some minor work), but is still a narrow profile, good for work in the woods. Rated between 3 and 4,000#. I own some additional property 6 miles down the road. I don't need to go highway speeds, but it would be nice to be able to go 35MPH or so. Maxing out at 10 mph like many of these smaller off-road trailers are rated is just unworkable for that trip.

CAM used to make their Woodsman trailer that would have been great for this. It was a 4' wide x 8' long dump trailer (with the tires tucked in under the body), rated for 3500#. You could dump via an optional electro-hydraulic system, or by plugging in to your tractor's hydraulics. It didn't have the wide, high flotation tires that some of the off-road trailers do, so you would be limited to running on firmer ground. The price new was around $2000. This is the closest I've come to my ideal trailer, but they are not made anymore. A guy a couple miles from me has one, and I'm constantly trying to convince him to sell it to me.

/ SCUT . . . dump cart & trailer options that don't hurt your wallet.
John,

There is an inherent issue of having off road tires and going 30 mph. Off road tires tend to "walk" side to side on roads at speeds much above 15 mph. It's a function of many lugs and light weight units they are put on. In high gear on a SCUT you can feel the very start of that effect with turf tires and that's at speeds of only 10 mph and a SCUT is much heavier than a trailer..

In addition, a trailer rated to handle 3000 or 4000 lbs is going to have to be very stiff in suspension as well as tires and those don't make for off road flexibility and "proper give" going over chuck holes or culverts or rocks and logs etc..

I think you could find something to handle your desire but it would be very very expensive. It would need air ride and very unique tires and wheels and a very non standard axle arrangement for a combination of ground clearance and heavy duty loading.

My guess is if you could design and build it. . you could sell them to the military as it is something they don't have yet either. All good inventions start as a combined need and a dream :)

/ SCUT . . . dump cart & trailer options that don't hurt your wallet. #10  
Somewhere out there I saw an ATV dump trailer that had electric brakes. I thought that was an interesting idea for someone towing with an ATV in hilly areas. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name off-hand.

Bosski atv wagon. I've got one. Has brakes and an electric dump bed.