scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #1  

GeneV

Elite Member
Tractor
Bradley 48" stander MF GC1710
Anybody with input on that? I got R4 tires on mine, worked great for all the brush/tree/dirty work I had to do on my property. But now that I got that mostly done, the GC is now used more for mowing, yet I find the ride sux on my uneven ground. Compared to it, my garden tractor is way more comfortable for mowing, so I find myself using it more, even though the Massey's mower deck is way more capable. I was looking to improve that, wondering about swapping tires.

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #2  
you try varying tire pressure a bit for softer ride?
my lawn is all old cow pasture so rough no matter what, the r4 do ride better than r1 I just put on but the sidehill and traction gains r1 give me offset that.

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #3  
Your in the same spot as I am with you GC and it's primary purpose shifting. My cub cadet is 20 years old and needs some love and has put the GC at center stage to pick up some mowing duty. I too would be curious about going to r14t's.

Beyond that, I'm also looking to swap to a more comfortable, shock absorbing seat. My cub cadet seat has a pair of shock absorbing springs that take the sharpness out of the bounce far better than the GC does. Maybe a combination of a different set of springs and more supportive seat will help there as that's what they m considering.

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14
A poster on another thread mentioned the geometry of the Massey compared to my Craftsman gt also has something to do with the ride difference. With the GC being bigger and heavier, obviously would affect how it handles over uneven terrain. Especially by where I used to keep my pigs. Sure wish I this Massey back then, I would have had an easier time repairing/grading dirt after I would move them to another spot. Anyways, I'm hoping to at least soften the ride somewhat.

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #5  
the seat, compared to zero turns, is a huge difference. where I am not backhoe so don't have to worry about rotating seat I've wondered about using a zero turn type with absorbers.

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #6  
Anybody with input on that? I got R4 tires on mine, worked great for all the brush/tree/dirty work I had to do on my property. But now that I got that mostly done, the GC is now used more for mowing, yet I find the ride sux on my uneven ground. Compared to it, my garden tractor is way more comfortable for mowing, so I find myself using it more, even though the Massey's mower deck is way more capable. I was looking to improve that, wondering about swapping tires.

Do you have a FEL on the tractor? If so, have you tried taking it off or at least dropping the bucket when mowing?

Mine bounce a lot less and generally ride better without the loader on.

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #7  
How fast are you trying to mow the lawn that you notice a bumpy ride? My lawn is extremely bumpy and I don't have a problem going as fast as turtle gear will let me go. On the other hand if I tried to go across my lawn in rabbit I'd likely bounce my kidney out. I have R1's and that might be part of the difference in low gear.

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #8  
How fast are you trying to mow the lawn that you notice a bumpy ride? My lawn is extremely bumpy and I don't have a problem going as fast as turtle gear will let me go. On the other hand if I tried to go across my lawn in rabbit I'd likely bounce my kidney out. I have R1's and that might be part of the difference in low gear.
well....rabbitt 3/4 w/ cruise control 1.8 acres (and many trees to go around) in 70 minutes +/- and 1 gallon fuel mowing hay and clover.
may have something to do with it.
just in slow mode I am....too slow LOL
but yeah there is also difference in ride due to speed.

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #9  
I went through this for a while, got sick of it and bought a zero turn. I will never go back.

Not that a ZT is comfortable. It isn't. It's just so much faster that the misery is over sooner. A lot sooner

I would never, ever, not ever, not forever, ever again own a MMM. They are Satan's spawn.

Other than that, I don't really have an opinion :)

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #10  
heh, I don't call it misery. I enjoy the 90 minutes to myself not thinking about anything but driving and mowing. And I don't mow all that often. I ***** about my neighbors that scalp their lawn every 3 days, do they have nothing better to do with their time? Meanwhile I know that they are all likely bitching about how crappy my lawn looks because I only mow every 2 weeks.