Sealing around the Radiator Shroud advice needed

/ Sealing around the Radiator Shroud advice needed #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
104726962_10223154576115452_4178859901278145506_o.jpg

My 2003 Century tractor is missing some of the foam between the radiator and the shroud. When I touch it, it crumbles, so I'm going to lose a lot more of it fairly soon.

What would you use?

I might swing by Napa some time this week, but I was hoping to find something online that can handle the heat and last another 17 years, or longer.

/ Sealing around the Radiator Shroud advice needed #2  
Rather than foam U might try felt strips.
Another idea might be old seat belt material.

Your photo seems to suggest it was a tubular shape, maybe cheap garden hose?

I'd rather suspect that it was more of a rattle (chafing) prevention than an air seal.

/ Sealing around the Radiator Shroud advice needed
You can see what's left of it in the lower part of the gap between the radiator and the shroud. I would prefer to use something designed for this instead of fabricating something and trying to get it to stay in there for the long term. With summer almost here, I want to get as much air flow through the radiator as I can.

/ Sealing around the Radiator Shroud advice needed #4  
I wonder if spray foam would work?

Am I overthinking this? Will just any foam weatherstrip work? I'm concerned about the heat causing it to fall off or fall apart.

/ Sealing around the Radiator Shroud advice needed #6  
I would check out one of the auto trim shops and get door jam weather stripping. 3M makes a good weather stripping adhesive you can get at ABC auto in Tyler.

/ Sealing around the Radiator Shroud advice needed #7  
looks like it doesnt take much thickness. how about a bicycle inner tube

/ Sealing around the Radiator Shroud advice needed #8  
View attachment 660476

My 2003 Century tractor is missing some of the foam between the radiator and the shroud. When I touch it, it crumbles, so I'm going to lose a lot more of it fairly soon.

What would you use?

I might swing by Napa some time this week, but I was hoping to find something online that can handle the heat and last another 17 years, or longer.

What about that insulation they use for pipes? You can cut it and jam it in.

/ Sealing around the Radiator Shroud advice needed #9  
I would check out one of the auto trim shops and get door jam weather stripping. 3M makes a good weather stripping adhesive you can get at ABC auto in Tyler.

This is what I did for my DX55. I found a huge assortment online with a wide variety of attachment styles and bulb sizes.

Foam Insulation Tape Self Adhesive, Weather Stripping for Doors and Windows, Sound Proof Soundproofing Door Seal, Weatherstrip, Cooling, Air Conditioning Seal Strip (1In x 3/4In x 16Ft, Black) - - Amazon.com

I bought this off of Amazon because it's rated up to 150 degrees Celsius, which was my biggest concern. I was worried that the engine heat would break down the foam.

Removing the original foam was pretty easy, it just crumbled when I touched it. I loosened the shroud to get the foam into the gap and it was a perfect fit.

I have a mechanical water temperature gauge on my tractor, and it's normally right at 190 degrees when I'm out bush hogging. Now it's just below 190 degrees. It's not a huge difference, but there is definitively a small difference in the engine temperature, which makes me happy.