Seasonal maintenance

/ Seasonal maintenance #1  

repete

Veteran Member
Tractor
L2550DT IH584-4WD
Who (besides HayDude) performs seasonal maintenance on equipment? What do you maintain?

/ Seasonal maintenance #2  
For me, seasonal (fall) maintenance is taking off whatever implement is on the tractor and mounting the rear blade for snow plowing, putting the tractor in the barn facing the door that goes out to the driveway, and checking the fuel level to be sure there's enough to run a while.

/ Seasonal maintenance #3  
Mowers trimmers leaf blower if need TLC will done before muddy season arrives.

/ Seasonal maintenance #4  
Hi,
Sure do.
Generator petrol driven, remove old fuel and oil change.
Yanmar diesel driven water pumps X 2, run them to empty fuel tanks, oil change, inspection.
Husqvarna ride on mower: oil and filters changed, sharpen blades.
Massey Ferguson 35 and Ford 3000: engine oil and filters change, inspection, repair anything that failed in the last year that bugs me enough to justify the time.
Fuel treatment any tanks that won't be getting fresh fuel for a while.
Then Fishoilene any rust on implements and machinery, but only in locations I don't have to handle as it stay sticky and binds dust.

Prevention is better than cure, so they say.

That said, I've seen a modern DOHC 4cyl petrol car on "tyres and top up" only for 10 years at 150000k (100000mi) with no issues. Who's to say which is correct? Perhaps I enjoy maintenance?

/ Seasonal maintenance #5  
I always change oil and all filters every spring, whether it has the hours or not-usually not-. The farm I work on this time of year does an end of the year check on everything as soon as the harvest season is over, as in last week. Changed all filters, oil, cleaned, check anti-freeze-(expected 0 this weekend). Most vehicles and equipment will be sitting for the next 3 months. Added Stabil to everything, parked most of the equipment is sheds. We are blessed with a crew that respects the equipment and helps with maintenance even in the rush to finish up and get home for the holidays.

/ Seasonal maintenance #6  
All engine equipment (except for 2 stroke engines) is maintained per a hour or mileage schedule that is all tracked in individual spreadsheets for each piece of equipment. Maintenance on those pieces of equipment is performed at the interval regardless of the time of year. The rest, hay equipment, 2 stroke stuff, mower deck, etc is all gone through during the winter. I try to get the mower decks removed, cleaned, greased, and oiled first since they will sit all winter and then I move to normal maintenance/repair on the other equipment.

For filter and fluid changes I would be lost without keeping track of hours. The spreadsheets I use do add a little time having to enter the info but I can go back and see anything ever done to that piece of equipment. It has all filter numbers, fluid capacities, regular maintenance list with intervals, list of regular maintenance performed, unscheduled maintenance performed (repairs), fuel use (I keep track of every fill up), and probably something else I’m forgetting.

/ Seasonal maintenance #7  
I also use a spreadsheet, but one for everything. Main page is the maintenance performed, procedure, tool sizes, etc, and a calculated cell for when the next service is due. Each piece of equipment has its own tab (separate sheet) with service requirements, part numbers, serial numbers, etc.

My service philosophy varies based on equipment. Road vehicles are on a calendar schedule of 1-3 years depending on average mileage. Tractor and diesel mowers are on an hour schedule, but in reality the mowers get a full oil and hydro service in the spring.

/ Seasonal maintenance #9  
For me, seasonal (fall) maintenance is taking off whatever implement is on the tractor and mounting the rear blade for snow plowing, putting the tractor in the barn facing the door that goes out to the driveway, and checking the fuel level to be sure there's enough to run a while.
Pretty much me too, the backhoe comes off, the snow plow comes on, park it in the garage with blade facing out so I could light up and go. I do the oil/filter/lube per hours, not seasons.

Also, I used to take the battery out of the mower parked in the shed, brought it in and set it on a battery tender. Now, I just go out there every couple weeks with a battery charger (with an AC outlet) and the tender.

/ Seasonal maintenance #10  
Maintenance here is by the hour meter. In winter, I make sure the antifreeze is good, fuel tank filled to the top and treated with Staybil and Stanadyne. I keep the battery on the maintainer. The battery is now 6 years old. This is the first year I have used the maintainer - Genius NOCO. Then I Make sure the take it out and run once or twice a month if I am not using it. It is always kept in the tractor shed. It is not heated but is a garage that keeps the water, snow and ice off it.