Secure Those Loads! -- Teen killed when hay bale falls from truck: Charges pending

/ Secure Those Loads! -- Teen killed when hay bale falls from truck: Charges pending #1  
Tractor
Ford 2600 Diesel
Troopers: Charges pending after Fayetteville teen killed when hay bale falls from truck
By Chris Joseph | October 7, 2019 at 5:53 PM CDT - Updated October 7 at 11:17 PM

FAYETTEVILLE, Tenn. (WAFF) - It痴 a tragedy that痴 left the Fayetteville community mourning.

Tennessee State Troopers confirmed to WAFF 48 News that Fayetteville High School senior Tate Tuten died in a car crash on Shelbyville Highway Saturday afternoon.

Troopers say a hay bale became unsecured on the vehicle ahead of Tuten痴. The hay fell out of the truck and struck Tuten痴 vehicle head on.

The state trooper said the 21-year-old driver of the truck has not been charged, but troopers say charges are pending.

Troopers say the investigation has not been completed. Therefore, there are no official charges at this time.

Troopers say charges are still pending, as the district attorney will make the decision moving forward on charges once the investigation has been completed.

Tuten was a soccer player and football player for the high school.

Troopers: Charges pending after Fayetteville teen killed when hay bale falls from truck

Charges pending for driver involved in wreck that killed Fayetteville High School student-athlete

/ Secure Those Loads! -- Teen killed when hay bale falls from truck: Charges pending #2  
Exceptionally poorly written article.

/ Secure Those Loads! -- Teen killed when hay bale falls from truck: Charges pending #3  
In my state agricultural products transported by farmers are exempt from load securement. Was this a 2,000 lb roll or a 50 lb bale? Everybody lost, but I can't imagine adding more burdens to farmers.

/ Secure Those Loads! -- Teen killed when hay bale falls from truck: Charges pending #4  
Burdens? Not securing a load is just irresponsible. Law or no law you have no respect for your community if you jump on the road with unsecured loads. You are putting everyones life in danger. Now if it was secured and somehow came loose that is another matter.

/ Secure Those Loads! -- Teen killed when hay bale falls from truck: Charges pending #5  
I see long trailers with 10 or more large round bails quite often this time of year and I can't say as I've ever seen a hay load secured to the trailer. Unfortunately, I've seen a few strays bales laying along side the road too. Guy lost one in front of my house a few weeks ago. Rolled down a fairly steep hill. Luckily nobody behind him. He was on the tractor in front of the truck with the trailer, so he was able to come right back and retrieve it quickly.

/ Secure Those Loads! -- Teen killed when hay bale falls from truck: Charges pending #6  
Right on! Screw those farmers. Who needs um????

Maybe we should talk after the investigation is completed. Or is having all the facts just irresponsible?

Define secure. Is gravity securement?

/ Secure Those Loads! -- Teen killed when hay bale falls from truck: Charges pending #7  
Maybe it would help those of us to understand what kinds of farm products that dont need secured while on public roads. For instance hay, in this area, if it's on a trailer or pickup bed on public roads, it has to be secured.
Right on! Screw those farmers. Who needs um????

Maybe we should talk after the investigation is completed. Or is having all the facts just irresponsible?

Define secure. Is gravity securement?

/ Secure Those Loads! -- Teen killed when hay bale falls from truck: Charges pending #8  
The Federal Motor Carrier laws are based off of actual incidents and not what somebody thinks would be nice laws to impose on everyone else. I would really like to know the facts of how a square bale of hay can "strike a vehicle head on" and how a hay bale could cause fatal injuries to someone inside a motor vehicle?
Now if it is a 1200 lb round bale, that is a different story. Again, facts are important.

/ Secure Those Loads! -- Teen killed when hay bale falls from truck: Charges pending #9  
I would really like to know the facts of how a square bale of hay can "strike a vehicle head on" and how a hay bale could cause fatal injuries to someone inside a motor vehicle?

Again, facts are important.

Timing. If it happened to come off the truck/trailer at just the right moment to hit the hood of the other vehicle and go through the windshield. I can see a 50 pound bail doing a lot of damage. How many stories have we seen when some fool tosses a rock off a bridge and hits a windshield passing below at 70 miles/hour?

But yeah, like I said above, the article sucks eggs.

/ Secure Those Loads! -- Teen killed when hay bale falls from truck: Charges pending #10  
I rarely see bales tied down. They just kind of nest there. Hey, they've always done it that way. If they had a twisted old piece of rusted wire long enough, they might tie them down. lol

I do see them lying in hard to reach ditches or swamps from time to time. Makes you wonder how many fall off, that they did easily recover.