Security Cameras -update

/ Security Cameras -update #1  

Torvy

Tractor
TYM T574H
This came up in another thread and I thought a dedicated thread for security camera recommendations would be in order.

My current situation is that my property is 3 hours away and is 6? months away from having any structures or power. A couple of probably minor things have convinced us that we need cameras on the property. From what I have researched, there are effectively 3 groups of remote cameras. (WiFi, cellular, and recording only). WiFi is our eventual choice, but not possible at present. Cellular is too expensive, especially as a temporary solution. My question is this:

Do y'all have any suggestions on this type of camera(s)? I would love some idea of brands to use or to avoid. Features that are necessary or a waste of money. We'd appreciate whatever advice y'all have.

/ Security Cameras -update #2  
Cell based trail cameras,lots of makes and models.
I have two Reveal X cameras($130 ea.+$120 year for unlimited service).They work great.Add a solar panel and never worry about batteries.
Browning also makes a good one but a little more expensive.
These will send you a picture and record a video on an SD card.
The Reveals are popular and can be tough to find,but the best bang for the buck.

/ Security Cameras -update #3  
I have the same issue as did my cousin, we both had items stolen from our property. I decided to use a couple of well placed trailcams.

/ Security Cameras -update #4  
I have a couple of Reolink Argus Eco cameras that are wifi but also record to a micro sd card. Coupled with the solar panel supplied by Reolink the batteries have remained at 100%. You could review the contents on the sd cards with a laptop and USB adaptor if it doesn't already have a slot and later use the wifi feature. You would have to set them up at home on your wifi.

They currently have the black camera/solar panel bundle on eBay for $85. I didn't see it at their online store.

You have to add a SD card and I recommend the Samsung Pro Endurance.

Mine have got moisture in them a couple of times but I was able to remove the three little screw holding the lens in and dry them and put them back together. I recommend taping over the tiny screw holes to keep tiny spiders from inhabiting them. Amazing how big those tiny spiders look right on top of a lens. If you want audio don't tape over the tinyer mic hole under the top screw hole.

Here is a resized image from one that I have 410 ft from my wifi router in the house.
argus-example2.jpg

Last edited:
   / Security Cameras -update #5  
A buddy of mine had two four wheelers stolen last year. When he discovered the theft he thought "I have two trail cams with sd cards on the road into the property. I've got them on camera." Well, when he went to check the trailcams they were both gone too. I travel that same road and had noticed the cameras, so they were not obvious but I guess they were to the crooks. This year he is paying a ridiculous fee for cellular cameras that send him a video to his phone when activated. He's hoping they will climb the tree and steal one of them. He should have a perfect picture of the thief as he takes down the camera.

/ Security Cameras -update #6  
Depending on what you want it for, you might want to verify where the IP cameras route and store their images. Many go to servers outside the US, typically the country of manufacture.

I use a cheap non-WiFi trail camera. (Campark, later banned from Amazon for buying 5 star reviews, and no the 5 star reviews weren't accurate. Now being sold under other brand names...)

My neighbor has a number of the Spypoint cell systems and loves them for the instant notifications. (He has been hunting poachers with more success than the Fish and Game department.) He isn't worried about their being stolen as they report GPS location, time and date in the images.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Security Cameras -update #7  
Have you looked into adding a cellular camera to you phone plan? Whether having eSim or needing to purchase one, there are several on the market and ATT/Verizon should be able to accommodate them. But make sure you can use them on your phone plan first.

Otherwise, Spy Point has a 'free' option that sends up to 100 photos a month, going up to $10/mo for unlimited: Photo transmission plans

Then there's CuddleBack which networks up to 16 cameras (might be 24 now) on to one plan utilizing just one cellular camera (the others being networked): Cuddeback - Cuddeback

I have no idea how good either actually are in service.

Here's a list of trail camera plans: How Much Does a Cellular Trail Camera Plan Cost | Trail Cam Junkie

/ Security Cameras -update #8  
I use a cheap non-WiFi trail camera. (Campark, later banned from Amazon for buying 5 star reviews, and no the 5 star reviews weren't accurate. Now being sold under other brand names...)
I've recently been using a browser add on called Fakespot that helps spot fake reviews.

/ Security Cameras -update #9  
I've been trying to research cellar trail or security cameras too. Trying to keep vandalism down on a property that is 17 hours away. Someone cut locks, went on property and used power and water.