Seeking Ideas for a Rail Saw...Removing Live Edges...

/ Seeking Ideas for a Rail Saw...Removing Live Edges... #1  

/pine

Super Star Member
We are wanting to fabricate some type of rail saw that will remove at least one live edge from band mill boards that have live edges on both sides...

The two main obstacles at this early stage is the saw itself and how to mount it to a carriage and a way to clamp the board down at both ends (clear of the saw/carriage) from just one end...

open to any ideas etc...the simpler the better we plan to use 3/16" tubing (square or rectangular)

The idea is to be able to slide a duplex live edge board onto the bench and cross-sight eyeball it through the blade so it will pass just inside the innermost lave edge...the operate some sort of lever that will lock the board down at both ends...once it has one straight edge it can be resawn on the table saw...

The current process using a chalk line and a circular saw is PITA....

Ideas or links to anything similar will be helpful...

TIA

/ Seeking Ideas for a Rail Saw...Removing Live Edges... #2  
Are you talking about edging boards that have come off a mill? Removing the bark?

Guy down the road's got a killer setup for that. Cleans off both edges with one pass. No idea where he got it, might have made it. But he runs a mill for business, from taking down trees to cutting mine timbers to delivering them.

/ Seeking Ideas for a Rail Saw...Removing Live Edges... #3  
Screw the live edge to a piece of plywood/OSB and run it through the table saw. The OSB is what will ride on the fence.

Other option is a track saw. Home made or store bought.

/ Seeking Ideas for a Rail Saw...Removing Live Edges...
Screw the live edge to a piece of plywood/OSB and run it through the table saw. The OSB is what will ride on the fence.

Other option is a track saw. Home made or store bought.

That's just about as much work as using a chalk line and a circular saw...am looking for production...this is not a hobby project...

/ Seeking Ideas for a Rail Saw...Removing Live Edges... #5  
Track Saw is what I'd use. You can make one pretty easy that will give you a straight cut.

/ Seeking Ideas for a Rail Saw...Removing Live Edges... #6  
Straight Line Rip is the saw used in industry.

Laser scanner line to set position of the board.

Rapid mechanical adjustment of a sliding blade relative to a fixed blade.

Power feed.

The basic tool is just a glorified table saw, but the infeed and run off tables add to the foot print.

/ Seeking Ideas for a Rail Saw...Removing Live Edges... #7  
I googled home made board edger. Gives some useful ideas and photos.

Straight Line Rip is the saw used in industry.

Laser scanner line to set position of the board.

Rapid mechanical adjustment of a sliding blade relative to a fixed blade.

Power feed.

The basic tool is just a glorified table saw, but the infeed and run off tables add to the foot print.

That would work but what we're looking to make is more of a glorified radial arm saw that cuts long ways...

We have 5K sf of shop space so the footprint is not an issue...

Like I stated in the OP...the issues we are looking for ideas on are the saw and fastening it to a truck (carriage) that will glide on a steel tube rail...and making a clamping system that can be engaged from one end...

/ Seeking Ideas for a Rail Saw...Removing Live Edges... #9  
Thanks but a track saw is not what we're looking for...we have a couple mostly used for cutting large inlay pockets...
I'm not seeking alternative saws...we're trying to solve a couple of issues we already have much of the bench and rail system materials tacked up...