Sell my UTV for What?

/ Sell my UTV for What? #1  

Olympus

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS R3039
Hey guys, about 4 years ago I bought a UTV, a super clean, low mile/hour Yamaha Rhino 450. At the time, all I had was an old Honda 3-wheeler, so this was a nice upgrade. I mainly used it for riding around the subdivision and running up and down the gravel roads "cruising". It is a great machine, but my biggest complaints are that it's slow. 37MPH is wide open. Second complaint is that it's loud. Not exhaust loud, but engine loud because the engine sits in between the two front seats. Even just riding around the yard and acreage at slow speeds, the driver and passenger can't talk without yelling. Within those same 4 years, I ended up buying a large hunting property. After buying the property, I was taking my UTV out there to ride the trails, hunt, etc. I quickly found out that the UTV is not suited for woods. The trails were meant for ATVs so limbs and branches were getting caught on the top and sides of the UTV and driver and passenger were constantly having to keep there arms in front of their face to keep from getting whacked with branches. And towing the UTV was getting old. So I ended up buying a little used 4x4 ATV for $1500 and it works perfectly for my property. My dad gave me a little 4x7 trailer that my ATV fits perfectly inside. And when I get out to my hunting property, I unload the ATV from the little trailer and then hook the little trailer on the back of the ATV and pull it. Works just as good as the bed on the UTV and even better in some cases like when I'm hunting by myself and I can't quite lift a deer into the bed of the UTV by myself. I can just drag it into the little ATV trailer and away I go.

So now, I'm using my ATV probably 80% of the time and the UTV is just taking up space in my shop. I do use the UTV around the yard for picking up limbs, raking up stuff when I trim the shrubs, and when my wife and little boy want to go for rides. But my little boy is 2 years old now and he can sit on the console covering the engine in the middle between me and my wife. But he won't always be that small. Eventually he will get his own ATV, but it still goes back to the noise level and my wife hates that we can't talk without yelling at each other when we ride the UTV. And that leads me to thinking I might just sell the UTV and get something else....but what?

My first thought was a Japanese mini-truck. I have a very large, very reputable mini truck dealer just down the road from me. G&R Imports. They stock, sell, and service a TON of mini trucks and have a warehouse full of parts. They're roughly the same size as a UTV, except basically a little truck. Fuel injected, 4x4, power steering, heat, and air conditioning. They have a big bed with sides that fold down and convert to a flat bed. They are able to be lifted and larger ATV tires and wheels put on. So they're really very much like a UTV, except they're quiet like a regular truck. The downsides that I see are that they're not exactly cheap. Probably $7000 after adding the lift kit, bigger tires, and wheels. And I don't really know how much more I'd use it than I do my current UTV. My UTV is worth $5000, so that would be like spending $2000 to get an enclosed cab, heat, a/c, power steering, fuel injection, and QUIET. I can't really decide if that's worth it when I factor in how often I use the UTV. The mini truck would work great for around the yard and property, but probably be the same as a UTV when taken out to my hunting property. You wouldn't have to worry about getting whacked with limbs though. Top speed is more like 50-55MPH though, so running around the gravel roads and "cruising" would be much better. In the summer, I like to go on rides with several other friends who also have UTVs and I would be able to keep up with them since they all have bigger UTVs.

My next thought would be like finding a used Suzuki Samurai or maybe even a Toyota Tacoma. For $5000, I could probably buy something like that without having to add any more money. I'd lose some "off-road" ability compared to the UTV, but I'd gain a lot more "on-road" ability since they'd be legal to license for the road. This is kind of a big plus for me because during hunting season, I'm driving 100 miles a day every day back and forth to my hunting property using my nice F-150 truck and taking it down a long, rough gravel road to get to my property. With a Samurai or Tacoma, I could drive it to my hunting property and even tow my ATV and little ATV trailer. I would lose the ability to go "cruising" on the gravel roads with my friends with UTVs. Or maybe not....but a vehicle driving around with a bunch of UTVs would look kinda stupid. I could still use it around the yard, but driving around the subdivision wouldn't really be the same as it is on the UTV. You also get the plus of having a third vehicle which I would like for times when there was snow or ice and having a second 4x4 vehicle that my wife could drive would be nice.

Or I could always just keep the UTV. It's not costing me anything to keep, but every year the value goes down so I'm think I might should sell it now while I can still get a good bit of my money back for it and put that towards something I would use more. Anyone have any thoughts?

/ Sell my UTV for What? #2  
I went through this, except 660 Rhino. First I put an engine cover/dust shield in the Rhino, made it so we could talk... up to about 15 MPH. Not good enough. Decided I wanted enclosed with A/C and still 4x4 with Hi-Lo range.
Samurai just didn't have the power I wanted, otherwise it was just about right. Then I found the Isuzu Amigo. Perfect.
Short enough and narrow enough for my trails (barely), 6 cyl, A/C, auto with Hi-Lo and locking 4x4, fully road worthy yet will climb anything.
I miss the Rhino (I still have it but never use it). I use the Amigo all the time, but it doesn't feel like a UTV. I can live with that trade-off.

Amigo_Trail.jpg

/ Sell my UTV for What?
Then you definitely know what I’m going through! Finding a good condition Samurai is actually pretty tough it seems like. I’ll keep looking for other alternatives.

/ Sell my UTV for What? #4  
I put 4,000 miles on my 450 Rhino;never minded the noise.I now have a Viking and it's about the same way.Your used Rhino is in demand ,shouldn't have a problem selling it.

/ Sell my UTV for What? #5  
Only market harder to determine what to buy than a CUT tractor is the UTV market. Good luck with your decision. :)

I have a 660 Rhino, a 900 RTV and a Jeep tube buggy. So far I've not wanted anything more. But this thread might change that!!! :D

/ Sell my UTV for What? #6  
   / Sell my UTV for What? #7  
My ranger 570 is relatively quiet, bench seat, carries a ton in the bed, and with the roof, widescreen and rear wind screen keeps all the branches off of us. It's also a beast in low range, haven't gotten it stuck yet. Polaris makes a pretty ideal product, but some just don't like them. I believe a UTV is the handiest thing in the world for working in the woods, and since mine is the mid size it would fit anywhere (within reason) that a wheeler would, including trailers.
MT

/ Sell my UTV for What? #8  
I don't own anything that I haven't had stuck. :)

/ Sell my UTV for What? #9  
I bought a rhino 450 9 years ago. It's been a great machine. I live on 45 acres of hilly woods and use the heck out of it. I've only done oil and filter changes on it so far along with one battery change. Very dependable. I will agree that it is too slow. My dog can blow me away in a race although he is very fast. All in all, I can't complain. My next machine will most likely be a polaris general 1000. My dog is going to be in for a surprise!

/ Sell my UTV for What?
Honestly guys, it’s a great machine. It’s only 275 hours and just like new condition. It just doesn’t really get used anymore because the 4 wheeler is much more handy. My wife hates that it’s so loud inside, I don’t like that it’s so slow, and I do really hate the doors. They don’t shut good and the hinges have play in them so new people have a hard time getting the doors to latch.