Sell tires before they’re worn out, or not?

/ Sell tires before they’re worn out, or not? #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Do you sell your truck or tractor tires while they still have some remaining tread, or do you wear them out completely?
I am always looking for better traction because I have challenging off road conditions. Therefore, I usually don’t like running tires with 10% tread remaining.

With a truck tire, usually get $50-$75 per tire if they pass inspection with a little extra tread remaiming.

/ Sell tires before they’re worn out, or not? #2  
Do you sell your truck or tractor tires while they still have some remaining tread, or do you wear them out completely?
I am always looking for better traction because I have challenging off road conditions. Therefore, I usually don’t like running tires with 10% tread remaining.

With a truck tire, usually get $50-$75 per tire if they pass inspection with a little extra tread remaining.
When I lived down south where the roads are glass smooth, no pot holes nor frost heaves, I would drive till the tires got to the steel belts. We just called them slickies in dat dar south. Nor stinkin inspection do dar netiher.

Well, I'm up north due to post covid job finding. So the days of southern tires are long gone. Traction is the name of the game.

If I had to by used tires, it would be a set of 2 off of a FWD vehicle. Most people don't rotate tires. Cheaper to keep replacing the FWD tires than buy a set of 4 each time. I've replaced the front tires 3X and the rear 1X.

Trucks are a bit different. All kinds of setups, uses and seasonal traction. Hard to even begin guessing.

/ Sell tires before they’re worn out, or not? #3  
Always get rid of tires around 80% used - figure stopping 3-4’ sooner in the rain or snow, or not sliding off the road is well worth the money!

/ Sell tires before they’re worn out, or not? #4  
Tractor tires weather check long before tread wears down. Lite truck tires are put on trailers before tread wears down and semi tires stay on truck until they no longer pass DOT.

/ Sell tires before they’re worn out, or not? #5  
I do like code54. At around 80% tread wear - I buy new tires. I want MAX traction for winter conditions around these parts. Never thought of selling the used tires. I've not heard of a used tire market around here.

/ Sell tires before they’re worn out, or not?
I do like code54. At around 80% tread wear - I buy new tires. I want MAX traction for winter conditions around these parts. Never thought of selling the used tires. I've not heard of a used tire market around here.

That’s “wear” I’m at lol
My tires are 80% worn. We definitely have a market for used truck tires down here. Haven‘t had much trouble selling them. I think a lot of guys have weekend gigs with firewood or other tasks and need cheap tires for their trucks.

I’m losing traction so it’s time to act.

/ Sell tires before they’re worn out, or not? #7  
I have to go with the 80% suggestion as well. Not only do you lose traction but with minimal tread left the tires are easier to damage. Stone drilling, road hazards like screws, nails and wire. Tires are crazy expensive these days but winter is coming in the north and I got new rubber going on tomorrow.

/ Sell tires before they’re worn out, or not? #8  
I replace mine at 80% and Discount Tire recycles the old tires.

Last edited:
   / Sell tires before they’re worn out, or not? #9  
My tires on everything but the daily driver age out before they wear out.

You are in a unique spot though. The 19.5's on your truck could be re-capped, but with the weight you tow/haul and distance you travel, I think that's a mistake.

/ Sell tires before they’re worn out, or not? #10  
Mine on the JD 4320 were pretty much worn out so no value. I went with Power King w/ rim guard on the front, R-4, 10.00x16.5, 10 ply, and Carlisle Ground Force 600, R-4, 12 ply in 17.5Lx24 for the rear.

Bobcat loader also got new tires, 14.00x17.5, Power King w/rim guard, 14 ply, R-4's.

1128221151.jpg

1102221311.jpg