Septic Alarm went off

/ Septic Alarm went off #1  

check

Elite Member
Dorset (cottage country) and Toronto, Ontario, Can
Tractor
2009 Kubota BX25
Hello, my fellow TBNers, I am afraid we have a problem with our septic system. We have a system whereby sewage gravity feeds into a nice concrete 2-chamber settling tank, then the effluent gravity feeds into a 4' diameter pump tank, which pumps it uphill to the leeching field. Works great, but just today we were sitting here and all of a sudden the pump tank alarm went off, and stayed in alarm condition. (Strange, because no water was being used at that moment.)

Went outside and confirmed that the pump was plugged in and that the receptacle was live and working. Checked the power cord that goes to the pump for continuity (at the receptacle end, and it showed open. But with an AC pump tank motor, would it show a small amount of impedence if it is okay, or does that depend upon where the armature stopped last time it was on?

We also checked the (extension) cord all the way from the receptacle to where the (short) pump cord plugs into it, and no obvious breaks.

By the way, the pump tank alarm works with a float, like a shutoff float on a sump pump. if the float floats up too high (e.g., because the pump is not working and the pump tank is filling up too much), the alarm sounds off.

I can't think of anything else, other than digging up the tank and pulling the pump, which would be a big pain because we are in the middle of winter and the ground is frozen solid. So guys, and ideas at all would be much appreciated!

James:confused:

/ Septic Alarm went off #2  
Not sure what the question is? Your alarm is telling you the tank is overfull. If there's power going to the pump, it's failed.

/ Septic Alarm went off #3  
Yep time to expose the pump. The pump is shot or the check valve has failed and caused the pump to short cycle and fail.

Occasionally the pump float or pump intake will get clogged or stuck too.

All of these require a visual inspection.

To be blunt- stop typing and start chipping ice! Or just stop flushing and continue typing.

/ Septic Alarm went off #4  
I guess, as for your question. One would have to know what kind of motor it is. Most motors though, would show some resistance. I am not a motor expert. It's complicated! There are often start windings that are centrifugally operated by a switch which can stick.

You said your AC cord was open? So no power?

Generally, I'm thinking:

Stuck impeller, bad bearing, resulting in tripped overload device or thermal shutdown. Maybe fried motor.

Bad Start or run capacitor.

Flaky float Switch.

Stuck internal motor start switch. Probably would trip Overcurrent device.

/ Septic Alarm went off #5  
The alarm is usually a second float switch, above the switch that controls the pump. If you have power out to the pump, could be the pump or switch for the pump. Unfortunately tank access is generally the only way to get to them. General comments I have heard is that the pumps don't last forever. You could always get a septic guy who can dig and replace what is bad.

paul

/ Septic Alarm went off #6  
We have a small treatment plant but the tail end is the same, sometimes the impeller gets blocked with a piece of something that stops it then the tank fills and alarms.
If we get real lucky it can be cleared and it will start again otherwise it is a replacement pump.
Either way it is cover off and pull it up and check it, I happily pay a plumber as there are some things I do not enjoy plunging my arms into.

/ Septic Alarm went off #7  
Yeah. The reason I'm glad I never became a plumber.

/ Septic Alarm went off #8  
A friend of mine is a large animal vet, he has reallllly looooooong gloves.

/ Septic Alarm went off #9  
We have a small treatment plant but the tail end is the same, sometimes the impeller gets blocked with a piece of something that stops it then the tank fills and alarms.
If we get real lucky it can be cleared and it will start again otherwise it is a replacement pump.
Either way it is cover off and pull it up and check it, I happily pay a plumber as there are some things I do not enjoy plunging my arms into.

We lift the old pump by the cord or rope and carry a turd pump on the truck. No swimming needed.

/ Septic Alarm went off #10  
We lift the old pump by the cord or rope and carry a turd pump on the truck. No swimming needed.
Sounds like a 3 chamber tank. Should not be any solids in the pump chamber.