setting fence posts

/ setting fence posts #1  

diggerdave

just read the posts concerning new JD and new PHD and thought I'd share my experience of just completed fencing of an acre with 90 4" poles and 6 6" poles for the corners and gate.

I used a 6inch auger for ALL holes based on my neighbor's advice that the smaller the hole the easier it is to fill. So yeah it doesn't leave much room for tamping down the backfill. I used 5/8 unwashed screens which compact quite well and concrete only on the corners and gate posts. I put the concrete in dry and tamped it in real tight. Our ground here in the NW is wet enough that it is probably solid concrete in just a short while this time of year. To tamp down in a limited clearance situation I got a 3ft piece of galv 3/4 pipe threaded at both ends capped one end with a 3/4 cap and the other end with a 1inch cap and bushing. oh and I filled the pipe with cement. So I had a tamping tool small enough to use with less than an inch clearance and still with some heft to it. And to make it heavier you could just get a longer pipe.

I probably should've waited till next spring to see how well they hold before blabbing about this but ... well you know being a newbie and all I was kinda proud of my innovations and wanted to share.

Dave
Vashon island