Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,931  
From the FMCSA web site.

Class A: Any combination of vehicles which has a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) whichever is greater.

Class B: Any single vehicle which has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight that does not exceed 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).

Class C: Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is transporting material that has been designated as hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and is required to be placarded under subpart F of 49 CFR Part 172 or is transporting any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR Part 73.

The federal regulations seem to set the 10,000 pound limit on class B licenses issued for driving something like a 3 axle truck like a lumber delivery or dump truck, not a pickup. California seems to have set it's own standards judging by the previous post. No wonder there is so much confusion with the 10,000 limit varying from state to state.
Standard drivers license covers you to 26001 lbs in most states. Driving commercially, you need a DOT med card and regular drivers license for anything between 10,000lbs to 26,001 lbs (single vehicle or vehicle with trailer) as long as it doesn't have air brakes. If it has air brakes, then you need to bump up to a CDL.

Hauling passengers, you need a class C.

Driving a half ton pickup commercially doesn't require a DOT med card. But as soon as they latch onto a trailer and throw some equipment or tools on it so the combined weight puts you over 10,000 lbs then you need to have a med card.

There are tons of people running around in commercial trucks and vans regularly that aren't technically legal and could get popped with a ticket if pulled over by DOT. Plumbers, roofers, landscapers, construction workers, home builders, cabinet installers, counter top installers, ect.....

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,932  
Yes... or the guy with the hollowed out RV as his machine shop on wheels but he does have folding cot, potty and cooktop...

I always thought one of those Toy Hauler trailers might work as many places RV/Boats exempt ..

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,933  
There are tons of people running around in commercial trucks and vans regularly that aren't technically legal and could get popped with a ticket if pulled over by DOT. Plumbers, roofers, landscapers, construction workers, home builders, cabinet installers, counter top installers, ect.....
The FMCSA regulates interstate commerce and interstate trucking. What Plumbers, roofers, landscapers, construction workers, home builders, cabinet installers, counter top installers etc haul is covered by the individual states regulations which can be more stringent than the federal requirements but usually are less.
From the FMCSA web site:
"No. A driver who transports an animal, vehicle or other personal property in intrastate or interstate commerce in a vehicle or combination vehicle with a GVWR, GVW, GCWR, or GCW (whichever is greater) of less than 26,001 pounds, is not required to have a CDL."

Last edited:
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,934  
lawncare.jpg

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,935  
The old 3 on the tree always wears over the years and they start getting stuck between gears or locked in 1 st or reverse.
Police wrote me for failure to come to a complete stop. His contention was he saw the shifter in 2nd when I pulled away from the stop sign. I tried to explain that sometimes if I go to 1st it would get stuck, which was true, so I usually took off in 2nd. To be honest I don't know if he was right or wrong <shrug>.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,936  
Police wrote me for failure to come to a complete stop. His contention was he saw the shifter in 2nd when I pulled away from the stop sign. I tried to explain that sometimes if I go to 1st it would get stuck, which was true, so I usually took off in 2nd. To be honest I don't know if he was right or wrong <shrug>.

Sure, they've all heard that story before. When I was in high school, a guy bet us he could drive through town (small town) in reverse. He got halfway before the local cop stopped him. He convinced the cop the transmission was stuck in reverse and even got the cop to hold a flashlight for him while he "unstuck" the linkage.

He lost the bet but it was a great conversation piece for years.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,937  
Clip fell of the second gear linkage on my 66 3 on the tree bronco, going from 1st to 3rd was kind of a problem with the little engine. I stopped along side the road and found a chunk of bailing wire and used it to take the place of the c clip. Then if completely forgot until some years, something like 10 or so, later, i had sold the Bronco to my BIL and was looking at the engine for some reason and notice that piece of bailing wiring still holding the 2nd gear linkage. I wished i'd kept that Bronco.