Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
"But Officer, the house just jumped in front of me!"

Bruce

cqaigy2

Tractor
PT 422
That last one reminds me of the time a guy pulling a travel trailer pulled out in front of a car. Went clean tru the travel trailer, looked like a yard sale all along the road. Stuff spread along the freeway for 100 yards.

two_bit_score

Texas - from the brush and pear to the piney woods
Tractor
John Deere 110 TLB, Diamond C 19LPX GN trailer
image-2613773342.jpg

This was traveling south on IH35 north of San Antonio at about 75 mph last week. May not be technically 'wrong' but it looked funny.

deepNdirt

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar YM-1700
about post#861, I think it was very likely the ramps were spring loaded ( assist lift type ) due to the elevation I notice the ramps were not extended all the way down to the correct angle, once the front of the truck made it across the ramps the weight lowering the rear of the trailer resulted in the ramps lifting by them selves, This accident should of been predicted with these type of ramps,

George2615

Tractor
LS XR3037HC
about post#861, I think it was very likely the ramps were spring loaded ( assist lift type ) due to the elevation I notice the ramps were not extended all the way down to the correct angle, once the front of the truck made it across the ramps the weight lowering the rear of the trailer resulted in the ramps lifting by them selves, This accident should of been predicted with these type of ramps,

In this video (post 861) When the truck got on the ramps he actually pushed the trailer and tow vehicle forward. The result was the ramps caught the driveway edge and had no choice but to flip up.

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240, and now just one YM186D
And that video illustrates the idiocy of charging at the ramp as if 300 hp won't be enough to creep up it, so he needs some inertia too. Then they seem surprised at the result. :duh:

fordmantpw

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2720
And that video illustrates the idiocy of charging at the ramp as if 300 hp won't be enough to creep up it, so he needs some inertia too. Then they seem surprised at the result. :duh:

Umm, I'm pretty sure that if they had the use of the truck's 300 hp that they wouldn't be rolling it down the hill to try to make it up the ramps onto the trailer, they would have just driven it up. :confused3:

lostcreekranch

Tractor
NH TL-100A with Bush Hog 5045 FEL, WR Long 3rd function, LS XR4155HC w/FEL, WR Long 3rd Function.
Put towing vehicle in park, set emergency brake.

When loading a trailer, put vehicle or tractor in 4WD if possible. Creep onto trailer until all wheels are past ramps. Works every time.

With a 2WD vehicle or tractor, put someone in towing vehicle to stand on the brakes and ease up ramps slowly.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

kevinj

Veteran Member
Tractor
BX-1860, L3940HSTC, B7500, Farmall M, Farmall 560D
This one one is cool, came up on it at a light today

2014-06-23 15.13.02.jpg

aczlan

Super Star Member
Tractor
Case 480F LL, Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660
Put towing vehicle in park, set emergency brake.
When loading a trailer, put vehicle or tractor in 4WD if possible. Creep onto trailer until all wheels are past ramps. Works every time.
With a 2WD vehicle or tractor, put someone in towing vehicle to stand on the brakes and ease up ramps slowly.
Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet
In the video, the truck wouldn't start. If they had chocked the trailer wheels, put the tow vehicle in 4wd, or had someone in there with their foot on the brake they would have been fine...

Aaron Z

Last edited:

OP

94BULLITT

Tractor
yes
Here is one I saw. It is not properly tied down. It was behind a Honda Ridgeline so it may have been overloaded.

aczlan

Super Star Member
Tractor
Last edited:

OP

94BULLITT

Tractor
yes

MinnesotaEric

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti NX6010
I'm baffled by that video.

It seems to have solved a problem that nobody has and answering a question that nobody asked.

Why must the boat be carried? The boat is already on a trailer!

fordmantpw

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2720

It seems to have solved a problem that nobody has and answering a question that nobody asked.

Did you see the pic of the truck with the boat on the bed? The truck was being towed by a motor home. There are various reasons why you would want the boat in the bed of the truck instead of towed behind it when towing said truck behind a motor home:

1) Less total length
2) Much easier to tow one 'trailer' as opposed to two
3) Ever tried backing double trailers?

joshuabardwell

Elite Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225
Check out the photo at the end of this one. Apparently, this is a common thing to do. Who knew?!

Diamondpilot

Super Star Member
Tractor
Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

paulharvey

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L285
I like how he is so worried it's going to come off backwards. My biggest concern when I tow is something coming off forwards into me and my vehicle.

Chris

I assumed the front wheels where up against a stop. Kinda hard to see for sure.

JBourquin

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 1529L

I was under the impression it was illegal in some states to tow both a vehicle and a trailer. Kinda like needing a Doubles/Triples endorsement. Maybe this is their way around that.

OP

94BULLITT

Tractor
yes
My biggest concern when I tow is something coming off forwards into me and my vehicle.

Chris

Mine too, I don't want something coming through the truck. I bet he had some cut marks in the straps too from the way he had them wrapped around the tractor.

deepNdirt

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar YM-1700
It looks like there is a rail to pull the boat up. Quite the system, should be safe as long as the RV is rated to tow that much weight,
Aaron Z

I'm trying to envision it having a heavy duty enough rack to hold the weight of a fiberglass boat plus trailer, How well it must be reinforced, and how heavy the rack itself must weight? and why doesn't it extend over the top of the cab? at what anchor points would the rack be mounted?
I've had ladder racks on some of my trucks, and even though at times I've loaded it down with building materials I was concerned if ever I had to suddenly stop, what might would happen, because ladder racks only mounts to the top of the bed with only a few bolts to anchor it down each side,
I suppose the truck being towed by a tall RV, The RV helps to cut the wind from the boat, Otherwise I would think that of itself would be a problem to deal with,:cool:

aczlan

Super Star Member
Tractor
I'm trying to envision it having a heavy duty enough rack to hold the weight of a fiberglass boat plus trailer, How well it must be reinforced, and how heavy the rack itself must weight? and why doesn't it extend over the top of the cab? at what anchor points would the rack be mounted?
I've had ladder racks on some of my trucks, and even though at times I've loaded it down with building materials I was concerned if ever I had to suddenly stop, what might would happen, because ladder racks only mounts to the top of the bed with only a few bolts to anchor it down each side,
I suppose the truck being towed by a tall RV, The RV helps to cut the wind from the boat, Otherwise I would think that of itself would be a problem to deal with,:cool:
The ones I saw looked like they mounted to the floor of the bed, I dont see that it would be much more strain on the truck than a slide in camper.
As for no frame over the cab, the first one (that someone else posted) had a frame, it looks like the pontoon didn't. IMO, if you are well secured in the back, you should be fine. Most of the weight in a boat is in the back 1/2 anyway and the trailer frame should be plenty strong to hold the front up.
Wind resistance shouldn't be any worse than a slide in camper and should be less than the 5th wheel monster RV trailers that you see all the time.

Aaron Z

deepNdirt

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar YM-1700
It's not the wind resistance but the lift effect that it would have under the hull, I've been across smooth water at times where could reach speeds up to 65 mph and had to back off when I felt the hull lifting, and this is even with the thrust of the engine helping to keep the bow down, all the more reason to think with a boat being heavier on the rear/lighter on the front, then once add wind lift to the front, if its not anchor down good one might would have a giant size kite shaped as a boat:D

In 1975 I traveled with a friend and his family up the eastern coast all the way to Canada in the back of a slide in camper, at times it was a bit scary when the wind would catch it just right, Felt like the truck was leaning, for the lack of good it did my natural instinct was to move to the other side,;) It was much like ridding a boat over wavy waters,

Diamondpilot

Super Star Member
Tractor
Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work
I assumed the front wheels where up against a stop. Kinda hard to see for sure.

I still would put my strongest chains on the rear to keep it coming forward and killing me or my family.

Chris

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
I was under the impression it was illegal in some states to tow both a vehicle and a trailer. Kinda like needing a Doubles/Triples endorsement. Maybe this is their way around that.

Your correct, I know it is illegal in NY to pull doubles (except on the interstate) so we are limited as to what and how we can haul. I have never seen a boat on a truck personally but I think this is something new that they designed so it should become more common.

JBourquin

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 1529L
Your correct, I know it is illegal in NY to pull doubles (except on the interstate) so we are limited as to what and how we can haul. I have never seen a boat on a truck personally but I think this is something new that they designed so it should become more common.

Actually, I think it's except for the Thruway.. I've never seen doubles on 81, 87(North of Albany) or 88..

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
Actually, I think it's except for the Thruway.. I've never seen doubles on 81, 87(North of Albany) or 88..

I guess I wouldn't know as I've only driven the 90 any amount.

Flying MXZ

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey 1635
I've seen doubles on 88 recently. Relatively small trailers, but for years I never noticed any. Maybe something changed recently?

buckeyefarmer

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4
saw a tractor on a trailor today, with questionable tiedowns, but no picture. Did have 2 straps, front one over the loader behind the bucket, back one over the back tires, didn't see where it would help much if he had to stop quickly.

ejb69

Tractor
jd 1026r

So they can tow a second boat. I have seen some delivered to dealerships this way.

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Don't try this at your local airport.

Bruce

joshuabardwell

Elite Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225
I call B$!

It's obviously a computer animation. Nevertheless, if you needed proof, a 737's minimum landing speed is 107 knots = 123 mph. No pickup truck is going to be able to swing out and catch up with that. And most of the time, it's going to touch down around 120-140 knots.