Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong
My biggest concern when I tow is something coming off forwards into me and my vehicle.

Chris

Mine too, I don't want something coming through the truck. I bet he had some cut marks in the straps too from the way he had them wrapped around the tractor.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #982  
It looks like there is a rail to pull the boat up. Quite the system, should be safe as long as the RV is rated to tow that much weight,
Aaron Z

I'm trying to envision it having a heavy duty enough rack to hold the weight of a fiberglass boat plus trailer, How well it must be reinforced, and how heavy the rack itself must weight? and why doesn't it extend over the top of the cab? at what anchor points would the rack be mounted?
I've had ladder racks on some of my trucks, and even though at times I've loaded it down with building materials I was concerned if ever I had to suddenly stop, what might would happen, because ladder racks only mounts to the top of the bed with only a few bolts to anchor it down each side,
I suppose the truck being towed by a tall RV, The RV helps to cut the wind from the boat, Otherwise I would think that of itself would be a problem to deal with,:cool:

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #983  
I'm trying to envision it having a heavy duty enough rack to hold the weight of a fiberglass boat plus trailer, How well it must be reinforced, and how heavy the rack itself must weight? and why doesn't it extend over the top of the cab? at what anchor points would the rack be mounted?
I've had ladder racks on some of my trucks, and even though at times I've loaded it down with building materials I was concerned if ever I had to suddenly stop, what might would happen, because ladder racks only mounts to the top of the bed with only a few bolts to anchor it down each side,
I suppose the truck being towed by a tall RV, The RV helps to cut the wind from the boat, Otherwise I would think that of itself would be a problem to deal with,:cool:
The ones I saw looked like they mounted to the floor of the bed, I dont see that it would be much more strain on the truck than a slide in camper.
As for no frame over the cab, the first one (that someone else posted) had a frame, it looks like the pontoon didn't. IMO, if you are well secured in the back, you should be fine. Most of the weight in a boat is in the back 1/2 anyway and the trailer frame should be plenty strong to hold the front up.
Wind resistance shouldn't be any worse than a slide in camper and should be less than the 5th wheel monster RV trailers that you see all the time.

Aaron Z

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #984  
It's not the wind resistance but the lift effect that it would have under the hull, I've been across smooth water at times where could reach speeds up to 65 mph and had to back off when I felt the hull lifting, and this is even with the thrust of the engine helping to keep the bow down, all the more reason to think with a boat being heavier on the rear/lighter on the front, then once add wind lift to the front, if its not anchor down good one might would have a giant size kite shaped as a boat:D

In 1975 I traveled with a friend and his family up the eastern coast all the way to Canada in the back of a slide in camper, at times it was a bit scary when the wind would catch it just right, Felt like the truck was leaning, for the lack of good it did my natural instinct was to move to the other side,;) It was much like ridding a boat over wavy waters,

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #985  
I assumed the front wheels where up against a stop. Kinda hard to see for sure.

I still would put my strongest chains on the rear to keep it coming forward and killing me or my family.

Chris

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #986  
I was under the impression it was illegal in some states to tow both a vehicle and a trailer. Kinda like needing a Doubles/Triples endorsement. Maybe this is their way around that.

Your correct, I know it is illegal in NY to pull doubles (except on the interstate) so we are limited as to what and how we can haul. I have never seen a boat on a truck personally but I think this is something new that they designed so it should become more common.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #987  
Your correct, I know it is illegal in NY to pull doubles (except on the interstate) so we are limited as to what and how we can haul. I have never seen a boat on a truck personally but I think this is something new that they designed so it should become more common.

Actually, I think it's except for the Thruway.. I've never seen doubles on 81, 87(North of Albany) or 88..

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #988  
Actually, I think it's except for the Thruway.. I've never seen doubles on 81, 87(North of Albany) or 88..

I guess I wouldn't know as I've only driven the 90 any amount.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #989  
I've seen doubles on 88 recently. Relatively small trailers, but for years I never noticed any. Maybe something changed recently?