Share your Canning Photos

/ Share your Canning Photos #51  
hey all you canning experts I have a question. the wife and I were cleaning out cabinets and we have some canned green beans from 09. my question how long is canned food good as long as the seal is not broken????????. I have had answers to this question but all answers vary a lot.

They're still good.

/ Share your Canning Photos #52  
I hope you guys are PRESSURE canning all your low acid food.

/ Share your Canning Photos #53  
My wife is a country gal who has been into canning for the 50+ years of marriage. Was up til midnight Thursday of last week preparing and canning 27 pints of string beans. She cans and pickles vegetables, fruits, and meat from our farm. Very tasty. We share with our children and family. A jar of home can products is also a great gift. Many will bring back the jar and ask for a refill.
Regards,
Gil

/ Share your Canning Photos
Great job! They look beautiful! Does she share her recipes?

She is gone this weekend but I will ask her when she gets home. :)

/ Share your Canning Photos #55  
So far we've canned Sweet Relish, Pork, and just today was 'Hot Pepper Sauce'. And we've made 8 gallons of sauerkraut.

Edit: oops, I forgot the canned cabbage.

To San5570. We generally only keep beans and cabbage 2 years. Once you start approaching the 3rd year they are good to eat, but they start getting soft.

Attachments

• canned food.jpg
    canned food.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 107
   / Share your Canning Photos
Wife pickled and put up 2 more batches of cucumbers & squash before I got a picture this week. :p

Don, your hot pepper sauce look hot! Last winter my wife learned how to can meat from a family friend who processed his own venison. She has been wanting to do it herself.

Sam, those beans look great. We used our FoodSaver to vacuum seal and freeze my dad's green beans this year. My wife likes them crisp when she cooks with them.

Tom, we have never made sauerkraut. My grandfather was the only one in the family that had a taste for it. He died before I acquired it.

/ Share your Canning Photos #57  
Wife pickled and put up 2 more batches of cucumbers & squash before I got a picture this week. :p

Don, your hot pepper sauce look hot! Last winter my wife learned how to can meat from a family friend who processed his own venison. She has been wanting to do it herself.

Sam, those beans look great. We used our FoodSaver to vacuum seal and freeze my dad's green beans this year. My wife likes them crisp when she cooks with them.

Tom, we have never made sauerkraut. My grandfather was the only one in the family that had a taste for it. He died before I acquired it.
The sauce is made from Banana Peppers with the seeds left in, Bell Peppers, Onions and spices with Tomato sauce and Ketchup. It will get your attention, but it's not 'really hot'. It's very good on sausage links, hot dogs or hamburgers.

Canned venison, I think is the way to go. It's not dry, and makes for a very quick meal.

/ Share your Canning Photos #58  
ok we did a first and batch of Damson plum jam and boy is that some awful stuff. we have a friend who wanted some so he got it. he put some on bisquit and said it was great, not me that stuff is awful. there here visting from northern va. does anyone make any of this and do you like it??? DSC00550.jpg

/ Share your Canning Photos #59  
Is it anything like wild plum? Not familiar with Damson plum. I like wild plum jelly, and also wild Mustang grape jams and jellies.

/ Share your Canning Photos #60  
well wife and cousin finished up the canning of peaches and peach chutney last night all we got to can now is some tomatoes if they ever get ripe.DSC00554.jpg