Sharpening A Reel Mower ........ How Is It Done?

/ Sharpening A Reel Mower ........ How Is It Done? #1  

Ductape

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
Looking at some gang reel mowers locally, owned by a school. I believe they are Toro or Jacobsen, as they are a commercial grade. Can the average Joe sharpen them himself? How are they sharpened? Are special tools or jigs needed (seems I've seen reel mower sharpeners for sale on CL in the past)? Anyone got pics of them being sharpened?

/ Sharpening A Reel Mower ........ How Is It Done? #2  
Looking at some gang reel mowers locally, owned by a school. I believe they are Toro or Jacobsen, as they are a commercial grade. Can the average Joe sharpen them himself? How are they sharpened? Are special tools or jigs needed (seems I've seen reel mower sharpeners for sale on CL in the past)? Anyone got pics of them being sharpened?

You may want to call or visit a golf course and ask the maintenance guy. As much as they mow it would require sharpening quite often. There is nothing like first hand information from someone who does it.

/ Sharpening A Reel Mower ........ How Is It Done? #3  
In my youth we'd take the mowers to the local shop and he had a jig onto which he'd install the mower.
The inverted mower would then be driven by a belt and the operator would apply a greese or paste containing carborundum.
Powering the drive wheel would cause the blades and cutting edge to mate perfectly.

Now I don't know if that was a shop made rig or store bought, but it workrd just fine.

Guess it was sort of like sharpening sissors with fine sand paper.

/ Sharpening A Reel Mower ........ How Is It Done? #5  
Having worked on a golf course maintenance shop, I can say that these units are much more than just a scaled up version of the typical lawn mower variety. The typical units have lubricant filled gear boxes which require pretty regular tear down and maintenance (new seals gears bearings etc) The sharpening involves the reels as well as the bed knives and after enough wear, replacement because there is not enough material remaining to be effectively sharpened.

Our course has a dedicated sharpener (read lots of $$$) because the last time we checked the cost of sending them out, it was on the order of a hundred per unit. Also sharpening for a golf course with our type of grass and terrain should be done at least a couple of times per season.

I'm only advising to be aware of the age and condition of the units in order to be prepared for some expense down the road. R&R Products, Inc. is a pretty good source to check for replacement parts and prices.

But all in all, good units on the right terrain are really hard to beat for a quality cut and beautiful result. Hope this works out well for you.

Regards
Sherweld

/ Sharpening A Reel Mower ........ How Is It Done? #6  
Type in "Sharpening A Reel Mower" into Utube, seen a bunch of short vids on them.

/ Sharpening A Reel Mower ........ How Is It Done? #7  
I have owned a Reelmaster fairway mower for 7 years, and have never had to send my reels out to be trued, and sharpened, I have always done it my self.

I would love to have them overhauled annually, as the gulf courses do, but at $150 to $250 per head, and having 5 total, that is not going to happen.

There is a learning curve, so even if you understand what you have to do, you will still probably mess it up, before you make it better.

Backlapping is the simplest way to sharpen the edges, and is usually done on a weekly basis if your using them 40 hrs. a week.

To backlap, you need to be able to turn the reels backwards, at a low speed. If your unit is not powered, you will need to find a way to make a rig that can do that. Basically, while the reel is spun slowly backwards, the bed knife is adjusted to tighten the gap between it and the reel, and a lapping compound is brushed on the reels, regrinding the edges. Re-tightening, and regrinding, is done as necessary, until the reel spins freely, and cuts paper easily, when hand spun forwards.

During the annual service, the reels are routinely removed, and reground to true the surface across the width, so it is as flat as possible. I have found that using a a block of wood, with self adhesive sandpaper, I can true mine, while the are spinning backwards, in the machine. Then, I backlap, and adjust the bedknife.

It is important to understand they do not need to be adjusted tight to cut grass well, they just need to be sharp. A tight reel will wear the bedknife, and reel quickly. They do need to be just tight enough to cut paper, and then you can back them off slightly from there.

If I could show you all this, it's really not complicated. But, difficult to figure out on your own.

/ Sharpening A Reel Mower ........ How Is It Done? #8  
Ray,

Excellent write up - easy to follow the process as you describe. Sharpening is more of an art and is a process to get it right..

/ Sharpening A Reel Mower ........ How Is It Done? #9  
Ray x2

In a past life I managed the construction of two golf courses. A Pete Dye course in Rancho Santa Fe and a Joe Lee course nearby in Fairbanks Ranch. The second course was used in the LA Olympics for the equestrian events before we did the final conversion to the golf course.

At both courses the method used was as Ray described. An electric motor was connected to the gearbox to spin the blades backward for several hours every other day. The motor was a factory accessory and had a specific connection point.

When they were done, they were sharp enough to shave!

/ Sharpening A Reel Mower ........ How Is It Done? #10  
Couple questions DT; how much mowing are you going to do, how many gang unit are you looking at and what kind are they. If the school was sold properly they would be Jacobsen Blitzer mowers (5 blades, 10" reel, rectangular frames and no rear roller). Anything else would be designed for fine turf mowing (ie. fairways). Blitzer were actually developed during WWII to mow runways. Also look to see how much reel is left (dist. from weld to edge of blade) If you end up replacing reels its big $. Backlapping is OK for inseason maintaince of fine turf reels but of questionable value for large area units. If you look at a grind on a blade, you'll see it's actually a compound grind. Depending on your usage and how well you learn to adjust the blades, you will likely be able to get numberous years between sharpenings. Equipment dealers or local golf courses can provide sharpening service.