Sharpening blades on my Caroni Flail mower?

/ Sharpening blades on my Caroni Flail mower? #1  

hunt4570

Tractor
Grand L3540 ,724 loader, bucket, grapple and now forks also! And just for OP.. a pool!
Ok so I've had this mower for 6 years now, hard to believe its that old so I had to look it up to be sure, anyway... It only gets used maybe 2-3 times a year to mow a couple fields and a few trails through the woods. I have never really done anything to it except grease it and keep it clean, oh, and I replaced the belts last year I think. I'm thinking the blades are getting dull though. I've never flipped them or anything so I'm wondering should I just flip them or sharpen them? The little "blade bolts" look to be in good condition, nothing is missing what do toy think? and whats the best way to do this? Drain the fluid and flip it over? and If I go with sharpening do it on the machine with a hand grinder?? So many questions... OH, its the TM1900 73" 56 blade unit if it matters.

/ Sharpening blades on my Caroni Flail mower? #2  
I don't notice much difference in the cut between dull & sharp blades. I do straighten/replace the bent ones.

/ Sharpening blades on my Caroni Flail mower? #3  
hunt4570 -I have had a TL1500FSC since 2011, which I use to cut about 30 acres of horse pasture per year. I have never sharpened the blades, but did reverse them once, probably about 5 years ago. I lifted the mower as high as it would go with my 3pt and blocked it up with 4x4s under the skids. I laid on my back and side, and removed and reversed each blade. I did not find any lost, bent, or rusted blades, bolts or nuts. It was not a bad job, just awkward. I worked an hour or so at a time over a period of several days. Just need to remember which ones are done. I did a row at a time, and then rotated the rotor to position the next row. I used twine to mark the rows as I moved. Best wishes :)

/ Sharpening blades on my Caroni Flail mower? #4  
Hello hunt4570, Rusty,

Hand held grinders will ruin the blades temper and make the edge weaker.

The quickest way to get a new edge would be to flip the side slicer knives to get the new unused edge and then continue mowing.
JUST MAKE DOUBLY SURE the threads on the bolts are clean and there is no grass dust on them when you reinstall the side slicer knives AND YOU USE some blue locktite to secure the nuts on the threads of the bolts; a couple of drops is all you need as long as the threads are not damaged.

I mention to every one that they should invest in one of MicroMarks slow speed wet well grinders and a angle setting gauge to sharpen thier side slicer, scoop knive and hammer knives as that is best way to sharpen the cutting edges on these knives and to eliminate the chance that the knives will be damaged from overheating and lose thier tempering.
Flipping the side slicers is a rainy day chore if you have a concrete floor to lay on some thick cardboard to do it.
If you can take that beautiful Caroni flail Mower to the cow wash(the car wash for dirty cows) per my lovely young nieces explanation of same; that will save you a lot of time as the majority of the dirt and grass will be removed from under the that beautiful flail mower.

if you do it by flipping it over you need to drain the gearbox before you flip it over.

/ Sharpening blades on my Caroni Flail mower?
hunt4570 -I have had a TL1500FSC since 2011, which I use to cut about 30 acres of horse pasture per year. I have never sharpened the blades, but did reverse them once, probably about 5 years ago. I lifted the mower as high as it would go with my 3pt and blocked it up with 4x4s under the skids. I laid on my back and side, and removed and reversed each blade. I did not find any lost, bent, or rusted blades, bolts or nuts. It was not a bad job, just awkward. I worked an hour or so at a time over a period of several days. Just need to remember which ones are done. I did a row at a time, and then rotated the rotor to position the next row. I used twine to mark the rows as I moved. Best wishes :)
My whole fear with that would be breaking the rusty bolts that hold the blades on, did you have much trouble with that?

Hello hunt4570, Rusty,

Hand held grinders will ruin the blades temper and make the edge weaker.

The quickest way to get a new edge would be to flip the side slicer knives to get the new unused edge and then continue mowing.
JUST MAKE DOUBLY SURE the threads on the bolts are clean and there is no grass dust on them when you reinstall the side slicer knives AND YOU USE some blue locktite to secure the nuts on the threads of the bolts; a couple of drops is all you need as long as the threads are not damaged.

I mention to every one that they should invest in one of MicroMarks slow speed wet well grinders and a angle setting gauge to sharpen thier side slicer, scoop knive and hammer knives as that is best way to sharpen the cutting edges on these knives and to eliminate the chance that the knives will be damaged from overheating and lose thier tempering.
Flipping the side slicers is a rainy day chore if you have a concrete floor to lay on some thick cardboard to do it.
If you can take that beautiful Caroni flail Mower to the cow wash(the car wash for dirty cows) per my lovely young nieces explanation of same; that will save you a lot of time as the majority of the dirt and grass will be removed from under the that beautiful flail mower.

if you do it by flipping it over you need to drain the gearbox before you flip it over.
The underside of my beautiful mower is surprisingly clean, most of my ground here is sand so its like it gets sandblasted all the time. I have to replace blades on my riding mower about every other year!

IMG_5418.JPG

/ Sharpening blades on my Caroni Flail mower? #8  
I removed the mower deck from the E110 last year and took it to the cow wash/carwash when the season was done and other than some missing paint it looks fine.
I expect this mule will last longer than the LA115 as it will no be used for snow removal so that is a plus.

I removed the mower deck from the E110 last year and took it to the cow wash/carwash when the season was done and other than some missing paint it looks fine.
I expect this mule will last longer than the LA115 as it will no be used for snow removal so that is a plus.
I just power wash stuff in my driveway..